No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-23, 12:36pm

Default Purplescent glass

by Bella Donna.
I made a few small beads and it lost all the luster in the kiln.
Has anyone had good luck with this glass? Any tips? Thanx
Old 2014-07-25, 4:39am
Glass-aholic

I have. Not really impressed with the staying abilities. Try turning down your kiln a few degrees and work it at the end of your cycle. Also, if you would not mind, try encasing it, I had cracking issues and am courious if it's just me....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-07-26, 5:45pm

Ok Jaci thanks . I will try to encase.
Old 2014-07-29, 3:32pm
Arrow Springs

Hi - maybe I can help with this glass. BellaDonna Glass works different that the other silver glasses - you want the bead to still be glowing warmly when you reduce it. If the glass is no longer warm, you will get the luster but when you anneal it and take it out the luster will be gone. 99% of the time we find that is the problem. Just make sure it is still glowing a bit when you hit it with reduction and you will end up with a gorgeous rich bronzy luster. Moody Blue gives you silver and Teal-icious, Aqua Splash and Dragon Scales gives you gold - Midnight Magic gives you a little of each of these depending on how you hit it.

Please let me know how this works for you and if I can give you any more assistance!

Thanks!! Donna Milliron - Arrow Springs - BellaDonna Glass Dazzlings! Frit Blends
Old 2014-07-29, 4:55pm
Queen Bee

Hmmm, I'm confused - when I bought either Teal-ishTeal-icious and/or Aqua Splash in Las Vegas last year, the sample of the bead was a beautiful teal blue metallic color. But you're saying it will be silver or gold? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure nothing I saw there was just silver or gold.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2014-07-29, 5:01pm

Thank you for the tips,Donna
Old 2014-07-30, 9:06am
Arrow Springs

Actually I mean the luster will be either silver, gold, bronze or rainbow - especially with the teals and green and blue glasses (Aqua splash, Teal-icious and Dragon Scales and Moody Blue) the underlying color shows through. You can get all of them to completely "plate" the metallic color, but almost always the base color will show through....you control that effect. Thanks for asking!
Donna
Old 2014-07-31, 7:56am
Glass-aholic

Donna thanks for jumping in. Any advice on the honey crunch?? I've never been able to get that gorgeous color you have on the website??

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-08-01, 9:25am
Arrow Springs

Hi Jaci,

Honey Glaze is a little trickier to use since it is a striking AND luster silver glass. It is also harder to troubleshoot because it is affected by time, temp, torch and annealing. I can tell you that I use a lynx with a slightly more oxygenated flame to melt it and then I let it come down to a warm glow in the glass and hit it with a reduction flame (dragons breath) until I see the luster shining. Then I anneal it at 940 for 1/2 hour at least.

Let me know specifics of what you are trying and maybe I can troubleshoot for you!!! I am really happy to help you get those same colors - but it took me some experimentation to get there just like everyone else. Making the glass and using it are two different things - lol.

Have a Great day and keep me posted!
Donna
Old 2014-08-02, 7:59am
Glass-aholic

I'll try keeping it warmer and reducing basically on the striking process.ive been 'striking' but heating then cooling and reducing/reheating. I want more than the grey luster.. It looks like old tarnished silver seemingly no matter how I work it or how hot I strike it (encased or not). You have some beautiful rainbow irridecence in the photo on your website that's why I bought it.