LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-23, 4:40am
Formerly known as LT

Default Who has tried silver and tongue pink?

I just got some silver and tongue pink in. They are not what I expected from the pics online. What should they look like in rod form? The silver pink is more of a ivory color and when I put it in the flame nothing happens it stays this color. The tongue pink is very white, and when put it in the flame it stays white. On both colors I have tried all three types of flames and nothing. In a reduction all I got was bubbles. Ok what am I doing wrong. Are these striking colors or did I get the wrong glass?
Old 2006-10-23, 5:19am

The only reason I use silver pink is when I want to decorate with rubino. You can't use ivory for that. This tip is from Anne Ricketts. You're right, it looks mildly pink.

I, personally, have never found a good use for tongue pink and find it VERY hard to strike. Maybe others have had better luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-23, 6:13am
Back from the Dark Side

Tongue pink is very pretty if you can get it to strike. You need to let the bead cool to the point you are worried about it breaking, then start flashing it in the flame.

I have never had any luck with silver pink!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-10-23, 6:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Larson
Tongue pink is very pretty if you can get it to strike. You need to let the bead cool to the point you are worried about it breaking, then start flashing it in the flame.

I have never had any luck with silver pink!
Tongue pink is one of my favorite colors. I use Lynn Larson's method.

All I get from the silver pink is a nice off-white or neutral color.
Old 2006-10-23, 7:59am
Missing presumed fed

Tongue pink is a real bear to strike. You have to let it get very cool, then reintroduce it to the flame gradually until you see a color change. I hardly ever use it, but when I do, I bring it back into the flame way out and gradually bring it closer to me until I see a color change. Take a look at the Constructive Criticism room. Kevan started a thread called something like "OK, I'll lay it out there." On the second page, she posted a goddess that she'd done that someone draped in gold chains. That's what tongue pink can do when it's playing nicely with you.
Old 2006-10-23, 10:02am

Silver pink will web with Intense Black. It's also good when you want an ivory color when you're using frit. I've never gotten a real pink from silver pink...

Candy

Old 2006-10-23, 10:06am
Entropy increasing....

This is my most successful tongue pink bead. I did nothing intentionally to get it to do this, it just did it and I haven't been able to make it do it again.

Old 2006-10-23, 10:48am
Missing presumed fed

That's the lady I was talking about, before her chains.
Old 2006-10-23, 1:41pm
sunscreen me baby

Wow, she is awesome and it is a darn shame you can't repeat it.

I love silver pink. If you melt silver leaf into it you get a nice warm golden color, it makes a great non reactive ivory base, and if you use it on a bead you will be working a long time you will see the pink.

~

Old 2006-10-23, 5:45pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I use silver pink instead of ivory when I don't want a color "swallowed." Ivory tends to overpower most colors where silver pink doesn't.
Old 2006-10-23, 5:55pm

Keven she is gorgeous!! Did you work on her for a long time? That might be how you got that gorgeous depth of color.

Old 2006-10-23, 6:26pm
Formerly known as LT

Well thanks for all the suggestions. I will try striking the tongue pink and I will just try to use the silver pink as an ivory and try to play with it. I guess I should have asked more questions, but the pics were both very nice looking pinks. Oh well.
Old 2006-10-24, 4:30pm
all for the love of glass

Kevan..that worked beautifully for flesh. I used it with sage and opal yellow for these..they turned a nice terra cotta color. Yep..it is just a matter of letting the glow cool out and reintroducing..I think in the high flame if I remember. Silver pink goes neither silver nor pink for me, I was bitterly disappointed with that one. It also makes a nice flesh color, though a little pale.

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2006-10-24, 4:38pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissabeads
Keven she is gorgeous!! Did you work on her for a long time? That might be how you got that gorgeous depth of color.
I don't think I worked on her more than any other goddess. Probably 1/2 hour.

And thank you.

Those pink and grey beads are great.
Old 2006-10-25, 2:17am
Formerly known as LT

That goddess is beautiful! Thanks for all the info.