Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2011-03-15, 5:35pm

Default How long will my bobcat last on a tank of oxygen?

Hi! I was wondering if any one could give me the approximate hours a 125 cubic inch tank of oxygen will last using a bobcat? Im trying to figure out how many hours I can get out of the tank to compare the cost to buying a oxygen concentrator or just renting oxygen tanks. I know that in the long run it would be better to run a concentrator however the set up cost is more pricey. Please help. I just need a guess. Thanks!

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"
Old 2011-03-16, 8:06pm

I think you mean a 125 cubic FOOT tank ...

125 cubic feet = 3539 liters

If we assume an oxygen usage of 5 liters/minute ..

3539 liters / 5 lpm = 707.8 minutes = 11.79 hours

But, your oxygen consumption will vary depending on how large of a flame you are using.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2011-03-20, 4:40am
He can do the origami

I agree with Malcolm on the oxygen consumption varying part... I get no where close to 11 hours. I can and do easily burn through a tank in 8 hours... with no problem.

I have done the economic math and it DOES make sense to but one or two concentrators. Concentrators for me... easily pay for themselves. However, I am addicted to tanked O2 and I do own a concentrator... I ended up switching back to tanked O2 about a 8 months after I bought my concentrator.
Old 2011-03-20, 6:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
I agree with Malcolm on the oxygen consumption varying part... I get no where close to 11 hours. I can and do easily burn through a tank in 8 hours... with no problem.

I have done the economic math and it DOES make sense to but one or two concentrators. Concentrators for me... easily pay for themselves. However, I am addicted to tanked O2 and I do own a concentrator... I ended up switching back to tanked O2 about a 8 months after I bought my concentrator.
Can I ask why you switched form the concentrator back to the O2? I am new to lampworking. Well actually I ve only made a few beads in my lampworking class I took about a month ago. I am waiiting on my torch thata I purchased from GTT. So I really have no idea what the pros and cons are from using O2 vs the concentrator except the fact the concentrator new runs out.

"Its never to late to be what you might have been!"
Old 2011-03-27, 12:45pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I get about 16 hours out of a 125 CuFt tank, if I stick to the center fire of my Nortel Rocket. If I use the outer fire for any amount of time I don't get near that much time out if it. I'm guessing that if I opend the torch up full I'd probably something less than 6 hours. Big disadvantage of tanks is the tanks, they are quite heavy. Around here a 125CuFt tank can be purchased for about $250 then it's about $20 to swap for a full one. Disadvantage to OxyCons is that it takes several of them if you are using a medium to large torch. Advantage for tanked oxy is if you need to use the outer fire on your torch you can with no degradation in flame.

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2011-03-27 at 12:48pm.
Old 2011-03-27, 1:45pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabathaD View Post
Can I ask why you switched form the concentrator back to the O2? I am new to lampworking. Well actually I ve only made a few beads in my lampworking class I took about a month ago. I am waiiting on my torch thata I purchased from GTT. So I really have no idea what the pros and cons are from using O2 vs the concentrator except the fact the concentrator new runs out.
Working on a concentrator doesn't compare to working on tanked. You can work much hotter and larger on tanked. If you've never or rarely worked with tanked, then definitely go with a concentrator. You haven't been spoiled, so you can't miss what you've never had. I work with liquid at work and concentrators at home. I started with concentrators, and I'm a cheap-@ss so I'll probably never pay for tanked. I did, however, invest in a Hurricane. (Which I don't even use. Go figure.)