No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-17, 1:00pm
Pyromaniac

Default Handheld Sandblaster Question

Anyone use this handheld glass sandblaster? What do you think of it?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrus.../dp/B0026SLGLQ

Thanks, Lana

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-06-18, 4:27am

I have never used one. I have a cabinet with a dust extraction system. If you look on youtub there are alot of videos. If you look at the videos they are all blasting in open air. Even if you wear a mask silica is going everywhere and that is not good thing. If your ventilation for Lampworking was closed like a box with only the front open that may be good enough.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-06-18, 6:30am
Gentleman of Leisure

Pretty much a lightweight.... If you are going to do anything serious you will quickly find it way to small... Besides do you have air compressor?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-06-18, 6:45am
Pyromaniac

We do have an air compressor, and I would rather get a closed system but was hoping this might work in the meantime.

Old 2014-06-18, 9:21am
Wonder-wench

I've used something similar from HF. It worked pretty good with 200 grit (also from HF), but it runs out of grit pretty fast and would get clogged VERY EASILY. I think some moisture from my compressor was getting entrained in the air stream, which resulted in some minor clumping and subsequently clogging. This was with a small, airbrush compressor. I have upgraded to a regular air compressor, but have not tried it with the air gun yet.

Old 2014-06-18, 9:31am
Wonder-wench

also, it's a good idea to wear a mask and either do it outside or inside some kind of sand blasting cabinet. You can make your own cheap DIY if time/money is of the essence.

I made one similar to the one in the link below, except using socks with the toes cut off to seal the armholes (it was no problem to have my bare hands inside cab) and used a cheap Home Depot dust mask on one side for the air vent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkH7cU9JASY

Old 2014-06-18, 9:34am

Elizabeth is correct compressors give of a lot of water. On my system I have three water traps and a drain to handle this problem. Dale is also correct you will outgrow this very fast.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-06-18, 10:08am
Pyromaniac

Thanks everyone for the great input! Lana