Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-28, 5:11am

Default Etchall

Good morning everyone. I have some etchall dipping solution, I have had it for a couple of years. My beads have started coming out with white blotches, does this mean it's time for a new batch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2015-04-28, 7:21am

I use EtchAll occasionally but have never had that happen. It's not cheap, so I can't just say, "Try buying a new container."

I just queried my chemist son. He says it's possible that the EtchAll can break down over time. Maybe some other chemists will chime in.

HTH,
Helene
Old 2015-04-28, 7:48am

Son asks, are you using the creme or the dip?

ETA: never mind, just read OP. D'oh
Old 2015-04-28, 8:12am

Thanks for responding, I am using dip. I may change to cream, it could be the bead release causing this.

e-mail:
Old 2015-04-28, 8:29am

Bob, it may happen if you store your etching solution in a cold place and/or use it cold. Also if you do not stir it well before use after a long period of not using it. Also (just in case) if you dip your beads into the solution before you get off the bead release the remainings of the separator may spoil the etching results.

But before you decide to buy a new one I would suggest that you take a bowl of warm water (not too hot, just warm, say bath temperature or slightly above this point) and put your tightly closed container for 10-15 minutes (or warm it up under running water), then put on gloves, protect the worksurface with a plastic bag, take a disposable barbeque stick or something like that, open the container and carefully stir the solution, then try to etch a piece of glass or a couple of not so good beads or just some quick spacers of a colour you do not like that much and see the results. If the test stuff will etch evenly - you can use your solution further. If not - you'll need a replacement.

If you use it not so often it makes sense to buy the smallest bottles, probably. Or at least do the described above and test with some waste stuff before you drop valuable items in there.
Old 2015-04-28, 9:04am

I used to get uneven spots occasionally but found that if I clean the bead with alcohol before the dip, they come out better, maybe some skin oil was mucking it up.
Old 2015-04-28, 9:36am

Thanks Jim.

e-mail:
Old 2015-04-28, 9:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Bob, it may happen if you store your etching solution in a cold place and/or use it cold. Also if you do not stir it well before use after a long period of not using it. Also (just in case) if you dip your beads into the solution before you get off the bead release the remainings of the separator may spoil the etching results.

But before you decide to buy a new one I would suggest that you take a bowl of warm water (not too hot, just warm, say bath temperature or slightly above this point) and put your tightly closed container for 10-15 minutes (or warm it up under running water), then put on gloves, protect the worksurface with a plastic bag, take a disposable barbeque stick or something like that, open the container and carefully stir the solution, then try to etch a piece of glass or a couple of not so good beads or just some quick spacers of a colour you do not like that much and see the results. If the test stuff will etch evenly - you can use your solution further. If not - you'll need a replacement.

If you use it not so often it makes sense to buy the smallest bottles, probably. Or at least do the described above and test with some waste stuff before you drop valuable items in there.
Katia, thanks to both you and your son. I already ordered some but I will try the recommendations, It is very appreciated.

e-mail:
Old 2015-04-28, 10:04am

Helene's son (Queenofsheba52, posts #2 and 3) , not mine I had a similar problem with etchall cream - left the bottle at the cold balcony in winter and when I took it and wanted to use to etch some fusing pendants, I got whitish spots, etched spots and some almost not etched spots.

Just try, may be it helps you. The sealed new bottle has longer shelf life than a used one anyway.
Old 2015-04-28, 11:00am

Me again. Son says if you have the EtchAll formulation that includes ammonium biflourite as the active ingredient, the ammonium biflourite might have outgased as ammonia and hydrogen fluoride. Earlier EtchAll formulations might have had a different etching chemical. When you gently shake your bottle to mix the contents, do you still hear crystals banging around or are the crystals gone?

--Helene

ETA: stupidly posted without checking the thread first. Agree with what Katia says about temperature.

Last edited by queenofsheba52; 2015-04-28 at 11:03am.
Old 2015-04-28, 11:09am

We all know that the acid needs to be neutralized after the beads are etched, but it's also very important to know that the flourite must be neutralized too. Epsom salts in water is good for this. EtchAll users do not want *any* skin contact with the EtchAll -- even diluted-- because the flourite will displace the calcium in one's bones.

Good luck!
Helene
Old 2015-04-28, 2:09pm

Penicillin. Ohhhh. You mean the beads have white blotches
Old 2015-04-30, 5:41am

Ammonium bifluoride releases hydrofluoric acid - this is what has to be neutralized. Washing soda in solution is the most effective neutralizer for HF. HF is a strong acid but does not burn the skin, it penetrates tissue and does attack the calcium in bone as well as the calcium in nerve cells. It only becomes painful after the real damage has started and it's very difficult to treat. Calcium alginate injections in the contact area are about the only treatment and very unpleasant. Wear nitrile gloves when you work with it. Don't work with it in your kitchen.
Store your etching fluids and creams in sealed Ziplock-type bags as this stuff will outgas.

Robert