The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-13, 8:43am
tiptrinket

Default Selling Watches

For those of you who sell watches:
How do you handle it when a customer notifies you that a watch battery has gone dead two weeks after they purchased something?
And, how do you keep the batteries from going dead as you wait for one to sell? I thought pulling the stem out keeps the battery, but I'm not sure if it does or not.
Batteries for watches seem to have gotten expensive!
Tippy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-13, 4:21pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptrinket View Post
For those of you who sell watches:
How do you handle it when a customer notifies you that a watch battery has gone dead two weeks after they purchased something?
And, how do you keep the batteries from going dead as you wait for one to sell? I thought pulling the stem out keeps the battery, but I'm not sure if it does or not.
Batteries for watches seem to have gotten expensive!
Tippy
Always a pain, and the longer you have them in stock the more of a problem it is

I used to buy the batteries at dollar shops, pretty cheap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-13, 4:44pm

I give a "free" battery with every watch I sell. People love it. I get them off ebay. About 30 at a time, with expiration dates several years ahead for 50 - 75 cents each.

Pulling the stem does keep the batteries lasting longer. They usually come with the little plastic thingies to keep them pulled out, if not be sure the ones you haven't used yet have the stems pulled.
Old 2012-08-13, 5:25pm
tiptrinket

Thank you for your replies. I have some watches that don't have the little plastic thingies in them, but I bet I can find some!
Thank you
Tippy

Old 2012-08-13, 6:56pm
Ex-lurker

Dollar Tree has a slew of them for ..... one buck...

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2012-08-13, 8:37pm
Unmedicated since '62

These arent from the steam punk watch buy are they? If so drop me a note and ill sort it for you

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2015-03-08, 2:53pm
Phill

I heard from the "girl at the wally world counter" that the batteries last one year in use and two years on the shelf.

With that thought it is a consumable in my mind and the only reason I would contact someone I bought a watch from about a battery would be to ask if they some for sale.
But as a technical type, I have been dealing with batteries for 4 decades so I would not expect a seller to have any thing to do with a battery that died.
Old 2015-03-09, 6:03am

Quality effects the life of the battery a lot.
Inexpencive batteries wear out faster, lower quality construction uses more energy.

In general if your dealing with volume look at amazon for larger volume of batteries.
batteries are a lot cheaper buying 50 then buying them one at a time.
Unfortunately batteries are not standardized.

At this point you might inform the buyer where to buy batteries and/or offer them a partial refund for the inconvenience

Pulling the stem out helps reduce the wear on the batteries but you may still have a phantom watt issue over time, some of the lower end batteries can also leak over time.