Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-10-23, 11:55am

Default Devardi Pearlescent glass pigments

Has anyone used this powder? I searched and couldn't find anything on LE.

I saw it on the website and it looks yummy....lots of possibilities.

Yes, I know there are many opinions about their glass, but I'm specifically asking about this pigment powder.

thank you
Kristin
Old 2015-10-23, 3:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Kristin, it's new so I haven't seen anyone else using it yet. Since you have to get a big package at once, that's a bit costly to guess at! yikes

On FB, a friend of mine just got some in the mail and is going to try it out. Let me ask her if she can toss some pics our way. She sort of tests out the new stuff for effects like that so I'm sure she won't mind sharing if she has something done

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-10-23, 3:55pm
Lampworkaholic!

Mica powder is mica powder. They should be fine.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2015-10-23, 4:30pm
Slogan Challenged...

She says that she has had some mixed results, that despite the claims of managing heat, it basically works like other mica powders in the flame. She said it was touchy on a low flame HH, and looked a little burned when encased but that might be her working style. She had gorgeous results over black, looked sort of teal. Otherwise, she was not unpleased but had a huge bag that is going to take her forever to work through LOL.

I wonder how it pulls out, I would like to find some options for goldstone-like stringer but this does not appear to be strong enough in color to use.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-10-23, 4:32pm

Default Devardi Glass Pigment.

I did get the Abalone Pearlescent Glass Pigment in the mail the other day, got a chance to play yesterday. Let me start by saying that I work on a Hot Head. So that could have made a difference.
I tried quite a few things with it, and got almost all the same result. It is very touchy. I have one bead that looks ok, but does not have the abalone look to it. The rest all 'burned'
Here is what I got from it. It is very touchy with my HH. Does not deal well with my heat.
They all had the same amount of powder on them. Most lost what they had, other than the green one, and the ones that look like it burned.
They all have the same one on them, I only got the Abalone Pearlescent Glass Pigment.
This is very fine, like an ultrafine glitter.
The black was intense black that is the one that took. but none of the gorgeous tints, just a green this one was not encased, just burnished as well as I could without destroying the bead form..
Encased, they all turned the orange brown that you see.
I think that any amount of heat after you have rolled it in the powder burns it off. And I have relatively cool heat with the HH. I even work in a small flame normally so even cooler than most HH users.
Attached Images

Last edited by cjbosman; 2015-10-23 at 4:36pm.
Old 2015-10-23, 6:14pm

Thanks.
Hopefully as people get some they will keep this thread going with tips and pics.

I thought it looked new but hadn't cruised the website recently.

Good info and sample pics...Thanks again

Kristin
Old 2015-10-23, 9:56pm

I like the black one
Old 2015-10-24, 5:28am
Lampworkaholic!

Remember that mica powder doesn't melt. You are just trying to get it to stick to your bead. The bead needs to be hot enough before you apply the powder. The powder itself doesn't tolerate a lot of heat.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2015-10-24, 3:44pm
It's all about the color.

Although I haven't tested any of the Devardi Mica Powders, I have tested other brands and you may find some helpful info on this page: http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2015-10-25, 5:10am

That's a great link, thanks!

From the description on the Devardi website, they claim these powders are more heat tolerant.
Has anyone tried them yet not using a HH?

Kristin
Old 2015-10-26, 10:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenup View Post
Although I haven't tested any of the Devardi Mica Powders, I have tested other brands and you may find some helpful info on this page: http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm
Devardi claims these to be different. They sell other types of Mica powders, too, but these are a new addition to their site.
Old 2015-10-26, 10:58am

Yes, I figured that out. I'm thinking of getting some to try.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2015-11-14, 4:42am

Ok, it's bee a couple weeks....
Does anyone have an opinion about this stuff yet?
I'm dying to try it but don't want to end up with a big bag of yuk!

Kristin
Old 2015-11-14, 8:40am

I'm wanting to try it, but we've just had a large medical bill so I'm trying to be good. After Christmas I'd be willing to split the cost with someone, but can't right now.