Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-09-04, 5:27am
Furball

Default Glasstronics Purple

Does anyone have Glasstronics purple that they are willing to part with? I'd love to buy some.
Old 2014-09-04, 10:07am

Is that the same as the squarish Boro sticks? If so I have some I would sell.
Old 2014-09-04, 10:35am
Borosapien

Glasscraft sells them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-04, 2:36pm
Flamewoman

Not like boro sticks, I have both. Glasstronics glass melts smoothly and no bubbles, and the boro stick, or bars are more finicky, and brittle in my experience. Right now Glasscraft is out, and has been for a while. :^(
That always worries me, I like the glasstronics glass. I started using it a few years ago when it was $13 a pound. It is probably still cheap, but the distributors have figured out they can ream us. They always do.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-09-04, 2:48pm

I think I might have some, will go check.

Old 2014-09-07, 6:14am

idk about the purple, but that deep forest green that glasstronics makes (and everybody loves) is no longer in production.

idk if glasstronics is getting out of the game or what...but that was the most stable & buttery green i've ever used (and many agree on that) so idk why they'd stop making it other then they're stopping all boro production.

take that with a grain of salt...it's 2nd hand info but i know the dark green is getting harder to find in any qtys.
Old 2014-09-07, 11:38am
kinda torching....

idk if its true but i heard somewhere that the glasstronics is just remixed boro bars, maybe with a touch of clear added. The reason boro bars bubble is because they are a pressed and molded powder and not melted glass! Meaning theyve never been mixed even at the factory. almost complete unusable unless properly mixed and repulled down. Oh and thats why the boro bars are so brittle too, literally a lump of glass dust, pressed into a diamond in the rough, lol.

Old 2014-09-07, 1:10pm

A google search shows that Glasstronics is made in India and is in fact sintered powder like the Boro stix I have. I dont see anything suggesting that they are remixed Boro stix. All of the companies I have found have discontinued them so good luck finding them and please let us know if you do as I would like to try some as well.
Old 2014-09-07, 2:50pm

I just found glasstronics purple a few months ago and love it. And will be so sad if they really are not making it anymore. I never ordered it because i didn't know it turned darker in the flame when i saw it i thought it would be like spring purple boro bar but no.
i did a little looking and it dose look like all the big glass suppliers are out i did find this web smaller web site that has it listed for sale.
I have never used this site before but its the only place i see it for sale now
http://artistryinglass.on.ca/GLASSTRONICS-GLASS/

good luck

edit - here a day latter and the glasstronics glass is no longer on the site sorry for the false alarm.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin

Last edited by mightymike; 2014-09-08 at 3:44pm. Reason: new information
Old 2014-09-07, 8:05pm

Mike, how is the compatibility with other Boro colors? Is it ok encased in clear?
Old 2014-09-08, 9:25am

The green works well encased in clear. You can encase the purple in clear, but I haven't done any deep encasement with it, so I don't know how it works there. You may need to encase it regardless, because I find it tends to get a slightly matt texture to it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2014-09-08, 3:16pm

As i said i just started playing with it. I like doing flower implosion.
when i did just the purple it when transparent as it imploded so these two marbles what show how it looks with Asian white inside as a backing on it.

i found on surface work some of the color burned out and it got a purple white speckled look like faded purple the way blue jean fade.

but i have had no compatibility problems

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2014-09-09, 7:23am

These colors are key for encasing otherwise tough colors to encase. The green is probably the best green for encasing there is, especially for the price. There are a couple shades of it. The green most are familiar with, which is darker forest green shade. There is also a nice lime green, almost mint shade, that is just called light green. We have the purple you've discussed which again is great for encasement. We also carry a white they make. They are all very useful, and are quite stable colors. If you are doing pendants or marbles, and do lots of implosions, they are all worth a shot to see if you like them.

Old 2014-09-09, 8:36am

Dave - are you selling any of this purple or green thru your Phoenix facility?

Jenny

Old 2014-09-09, 10:02am

No, we don't stock it there in PHX. But, we have a really good stock of these colors here in Indiana, and can ship immediately anytime. Thanks!

Last edited by ABR Dave; 2014-09-10 at 1:52pm.
Old 2014-09-10, 4:30am

I picked up a few lbs at MGA last time i went there about a month ago. There was plenty there. Not sure about now, but its worth a shot.
Old 2014-09-10, 4:26pm

ABR - I see them now. There not that easy to fine on the site there is not a Glasstronics heading their mixed in with the boro bar. the easiest way to fine the glasstronics colors is to go to the store and then put jj into the search bar.
good luck

Old 2014-10-24, 5:25am
Furball

Thanks ABR Dave. I'm always afraid to place an order with ABR because the stock isn't listed in real time. I always get a phone call, saying something is out, usually the one thing I really wanted. Will the inventory on the website ever be live?