Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-12-01, 12:33am

Default Need help to protect photos from being stolen

Recently I have had problems with people copying the pictures from my rosarys and using them on other websites and even offering them on printed postcards.
I do not want to watermark the pictures with a text.

I have heard that you can protect your pictures so that the website visitors cannot copy/paste them and when you click on the picture you are not able to save it onto your computer. This is what I want to do. Can anybody help me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-01, 6:39am
Flaming Redhead!

This program will enable someone to right click/save the pic...but what they're saving will surprise them. Written by a friend of mine, her programs are safe and spyware free...

http://www.isdntek.com/noclick.htm

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-12-01, 8:34am
ManBearPig

Unfortunately, there is no way to really protect them. Every photo that you view in your web browser gets saved to your hard drive, regardless of any efforts made to protect them. So, it's only a matter of going back through your web browser cache to find them.

There are ways to prevent people from right clicking and saving them, but that will probably only discourage people that don't know much about how computers/browsers work.

I hate that it works like that, but unfortunately it does...

Old 2008-12-05, 1:51pm

The only way to really protect them is to add text over them. Even if you disable "right click/Save" as all someone has to do is to take a screen shot then crop out the portion of the screen they don't want.

Old 2008-12-08, 10:42pm
Fancy Mammal

Most protection schemes are just setting the barrier higher, making people be more computer knowledgable to get at the images.

How large of images are you putting up? That can be one simple way of preventing someone from printing them - make them small enough they don't print well.

You can also control how present the text is (if you were to visibly watermark them), so you could make it very light.

ETA: that program Alex9 posted seems like a great idea, I'd definitely try that.
Old 2008-12-25, 2:30pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

I agree - a watermark is really the only way to protect your images. There are many other ways to "steal" a right-click disabled photo - the person just has to know how to do it.

site is not yet available

Old 2009-02-06, 1:59pm

Default watermark

Suggesting invisible watermarking i.e. DigiMarc or much cheaper SignMyImage. Check www.adptools.com for more information. F>
Old 2009-02-07, 3:29am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

People have many ways to steal image. What I do is put a watermark on them and only upload a small file of the image, if they steal it and selling prints of the image, they wont get good result coming from a small file.