Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-13, 10:04am
Angel's Mom

Default Name these colors (for the veteran bead makers)

I purchased some glass from a Stained glass studio who was cleaning out some Moretti/Effetre rods they purchased years ago to play with. They weren't labeled, but she was sure they were Moretti. I am guessing they are just slightly different batches of other colors, but was wondering if any long-time bead makers recognize them.

First, the Blues.
On the left is an Effetre Dark Sky Blue.

In the middle is mystery Blue #1. It's lighter than Dk Sky Blue, Darker than Light Sky Blue, and has a pearly-quality (like CIM's Kryptonite).

On the right is mystery Blue #2. It is darker than Dk Sky Blue, but the color pops more. It reminds me of CIM's Electric Avenue, but I know she bought these years before these CIM colors even came out. She called it turquoise.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Last edited by krisb16; 2010-11-23 at 11:46pm.
Old 2008-09-13, 10:08am
Angel's Mom

One the left are 2 rods of Mystery Red.

Garnet is my birthstone, and this glass reminds me of a Garnet or a Ruby. It's transparent, and I can't find anything in my stash that's transparent that matches.

The closest match I found was the rod on the right. It's an special Older batch of Purple Red (opaque) that I bought recently.

Last edited by krisb16; 2010-11-23 at 11:46pm.
Old 2008-09-13, 10:10am

Are they kind of translucent? They could be opalino or alabastro blues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-13, 10:13am
Angel's Mom

See, I knew the pros would come through!!! Opalino, sure!

THANKS!
Old 2008-09-13, 10:15am
Angel's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
The reds almost look like dark amber on my monitor (an OLD monitor). Some of the old stuff was really dark, rich and lovely.
It reminds me of root beer, too.

It is almost the color of a dark red wine, like a Merlot. Thanks!
Old 2008-09-13, 6:29pm
Corgi Cult Member

I have a really, really dark batch of Rubino that looks similar. I remember being really disappointed when it came because there was nothing even remotely pink about it even when used thinly. The ivory test would tell. If that's the one, I remember having had problems keeping it from turning livery, so don't garage too long.

Forgot to mention, it was several years ago that I got the batch.

Old 2008-09-13, 8:15pm

Just guesses,,The darker blue Ocean blue green?
The red Candy apple red?

Karen
Volkano Exotik
Old 2008-09-14, 9:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampworkLori View Post
Are they kind of translucent? They could be opalino or alabastro blues.
I'd guess the lighter is opalino, darker is alabastro

(I can *almost* use opalino without turning it into a sooty mess with a torch a little bigger than my hothead now -- on the hothead I'm usually ok with it )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-09-15, 2:07pm

The Moretti transparent reds vary an incredible amount.I am not yet convinced that she doesn't have an unusual dark batch of transparent red. I have some that look yellow but strike to red, some that were virtually transparent but strike to red, and some that look, well, transparent RED! I have some of that Root Beer batch, too, and that is more brown than what I'm seeing in the picture.

Good call on the opalino/alaBASTARD versus opaque turquoise/sky tests, Kimberly. That would give pretty clear results, lol!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-09-15, 2:50pm
It's all about the color.

I'm guessing that the dark red one is a rubino. I have some that look exactly that shade. Anyone remember a few years back there was a batch that was completely clear and you had to kiln strike it before use to bring out the color - striking it later wouldn't work. I remember that batch very distinctly because the first directions Mike Frantz gave out for striking the glass called for a wee bit too high of a temp and peoples rods were slumping in their kilns. I know mine did and because my rods only fit in my kiln from lower corner to opposite upper one, when I opened the kiln door, my rods looked kind of like melted red transparen candy canes. They still sit in my glass rod overflow drawer and I laugh everytime I see them. That will teach me to do things when I'm told to.

To be sure though, test it on some ivory. If it's rubino, you'll see a muddy reaction.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-09-15, 7:38pm
It's all about the color.

It actually occured to me after that last post that I have a bead in my picture archive made from that batch to show that you can make a rubino bead on a hothead without mucking it up. So, here is a bead made out of the batch of the rubino I'm talking about.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-09-16, 1:41am

I am thinking too that the red is rubino. I have a batch that is dark like that. If it was not labeled you would think it was black until you put it under the light and see the red. But I do agree with kay and kim. MIKE

#S140 IN THE GROVE GLASSWORK

JOHN 3:16