Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-10, 1:42pm

Hey Kristina thanks..... my other favorite, go to color....Dk transparent rose!! I sure have lots of favorite colors...LOL.!!

Great job on the frogs girl, they are just too cute !
Old 2010-05-10, 2:03pm

Teri can I ask you how long it took you to get your cricket? I ordered mine in March and its not here yet.

Love all the beads and the frogs are too cute!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-05-10, 5:26pm

Holly,
I just have to say I also LOVE your watermelon set! You make lovely beads and I thoroughly enjoy seeing all yours and all the other beadmakers work I haven't been doing much lately and am fairly new to lampworking besides,but have all the equipment I could possibly need.Unfortunately I'm having major RA problems in my fingers and wrist and anticipating surgery soon.I keep up with this thread and just unpacked all my new DV glass today..played as long as my hand would allow..its frustrating because I dearly love it and hope in the future that I will be able to do more.If I come up with anything worth photographing,I'll send it along Keep up the great work,you all,you inspire me tremendously!
Diana
"

Old 2010-05-10, 5:32pm

I ordered my cricket last year form Flametree glass in Georgia.Had it within a few days. Fast shipper. They still have them in stock, and a great price. https://flametreeglass.com/index.php...1uvcmlkdtg2190 I love my cricket.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-05-10, 5:37pm
The Grand Foobah

Holly love the watermelon set!

My glass will be here tomorrow. Unfortunately I won't be. I have to work all day and then have my 10 year old's baseball game and then the 13 year old's band concert! Hopefully I can at least find time to unpack it.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-10, 5:49pm
FatCat Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Teri can I ask you how long it took you to get your cricket? I ordered mine in March and its not here yet.
I think it was about 8 weeks from the time I ordered it until it arrived.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-05-10, 6:32pm
Remember to keep smiling

Holly - Great sets. I love all the different shapes. That watermelon set is so springy

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-10, 6:33pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
I ordered my cricket last year form Flametree glass in Georgia.Had it within a few days. Fast shipper. They still have them in stock, and a great price. https://flametreeglass.com/index.php...1uvcmlkdtg2190 I love my cricket.

oooo - thank you Nell! Great link for future reference! I wish I could get a Cricket tomorrow!

Jenn, I bet you find the time to open it and at least look at it!

Here's my little "When Piggies Fly" worked up into a necklace!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-05-10 at 6:37pm.
Old 2010-05-10, 6:39pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina so cute

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-10, 6:42pm
Remember to keep smiling

I just saw some beautiful hollows in the gallery. Has anyone tried them with Devardi glass and where can I get a tut on how to do that and what type mandrel do i need to buy? I know I get all pumped up when I find something I want to try....lol

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-10, 6:43pm

Cute pig. Okay I will give it another week and if I don't here from them I might contact flametree and see if they have it in stock. I wouldn't mind the wait so much if they would just keep me updated, like every couple of weeks, send me an email and say "hey we haven't forgotten about you" I hate to email and ask is it here yet? Makes me sound like a two year old lol.

Old 2010-05-10, 6:56pm
Remember to keep smiling

Sonja I know how hard it is to wait for something that you want so bad. I recently finally bought a mini CC from the GS I can't stand it that it is just sitting in a box not being used. "I need a oxygen concentrator" been saving for it....."I do pull the torch out on occasion and look it over........."OKAY Dammit" SO I rub it and talk to it & tell it want be long now......LOL

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-10, 7:19pm

Paula..you will be sooo thrilled with the oxygen concentrator.it was getting to the point where I was having to have my tank refilled about every 5 days..and thats when gas prices were so high!They are wonderful!I have a mini Cc also..love mine too.
"

Old 2010-05-10, 7:31pm
Remember to keep smiling

I know it is got to be wonderful. I'm still using my HH. Where did you get your OC from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Paula..you will be sooo thrilled with the oxygen concentrator.it was getting to the point where I was having to have my tank refilled about every 5 days..and thats when gas prices were so high!They are wonderful!I have a mini Cc also..love mine too.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-10, 8:06pm
me and dh just starting

Shipment came!

So what to make?!?
Old 2010-05-10, 8:48pm

thanks you guys, I took the day off from torching today, to photograph beads. Those watermelon beads are a blast to make.

Diana, welcome to the thread !! I am SO sorry to hear about the physical problems you are having. It's hard to do this kind of activity when you are hurting.....Don't ever be shy about posting your work, we ALL started out from scratch. No one is going to rip on your beads on this thread....it is a safe place, with lots of cool people and tech support too! Hope you get fixed up soon !
Old 2010-05-11, 4:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Holly,
I just have to say I also LOVE your watermelon set! You make lovely beads and I thoroughly enjoy seeing all yours and all the other beadmakers work I haven't been doing much lately and am fairly new to lampworking besides,but have all the equipment I could possibly need.Unfortunately I'm having major RA problems in my fingers and wrist and anticipating surgery soon.I keep up with this thread and just unpacked all my new DV glass today..played as long as my hand would allow..its frustrating because I dearly love it and hope in the future that I will be able to do more.If I come up with anything worth photographing,I'll send it along Keep up the great work,you all,you inspire me tremendously!
Diana
Diana,
Have you considered an Electric Mandrel Spinner? I have several friends with hand and wrist problems that use them and love them. I have problems and purchased one. You can check them out and view quiet a few videos at www.bearfootart.com. Hope you improve soon.
Jim
Old 2010-05-11, 5:13am

Holly..thank you for the very warm welcome and the note
Paula..I'm having a senior moment..it's an Oxybox and maybe from Arrow Springs or Sundance??Lol..I'm sorry I can't remember.I'm not sure those places even sell them.I did find the source from Corina Tettingers book-Passing the Flame.
Hi Jim..Yes..I just got my winder a month or so ago and trying to master that.It is amazing how fast you can make simple rounds for sure.Decorating and slowing the winder to do that is a challenge right now but spacers are so quick on it..effortlessly almost..5 on one mandrel in about a minute.The Bearfoot guy(can't think of his name..Scott maybe?)had a 6 to 8 week backorder but I was able to get one of his from Delphi.The rolling marver is on backorder..am looking forward to that..looks so useful.
Thanks for the well wishes,all This is a nice thread..think I'll hang around.
Have a great day!
diana
"

Old 2010-05-11, 5:21am

diana,

You will find the rolling marver indespensible after a very short while. I certainly love mine!
I haven't received my glass yet from Natasha and Daniel, I think perhaps the extra few thousand mile and the Pacific Ocean tends to slow it down LOL.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2010-05-11, 5:37am

My glass has arrived in Perth so should get it tomorrow fingers crossed! Not too bad - it was shipped on the 5th and cleared customs here this morning on the 11th, so yours shouldn't be too far away Kym. Can't wait to play!! Sonja, I'm hearing you - I was told that a Cricket would be available within 2 weeks and was reserved for me, and that was on the 18th March! I sent an email today to chase it up. Oh well, the anticipation keeps me on my toes. Happy torching everyone. Jennie.
Old 2010-05-11, 6:39am
The Grand Foobah

Kristina, very cute pig! As far as hollows, that is one of the first things I want to try with my Devardi! There is no special mandrel needed, use whatever you are comfortable with. I make two donut beads the distance apart that I want the width of the hollow to be and then build a disc on each side, each layer slightly offset from the next towards the middle. The final wrap should connect the two, then rotate in the flame and if you've done it right with no holes the hollow will puff out. Hope that is clearer than mud. If anyone is interested I can always take some pictures while I'm making mine.

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2010-05-11, 7:11am

There's a great video on You Tube also. Paula, I found this last night after I pm'd you. unfortunately I was braindead and didn't get a link but if you type in Powers Art Glass Lampwork Hollow Bead on You Tube, you should be able to bring the video up. It really helps to be able to see someone do it......I make mine a bit different than you do Jenn, but whatever works, as long as they don't collapse......ugh.
Old 2010-05-11, 7:13am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
I just saw some beautiful hollows in the gallery. Has anyone tried them with Devardi glass and where can I get a tut on how to do that and what type mandrel do i need to buy? I know I get all pumped up when I find something I want to try....lol
Hollow beads take a regular mandrel. Here is a link to many YouTube videos on how to make them. Be sure to tell us how you do! I want to make some too!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...llow+bead&aq=f
Old 2010-05-11, 7:44am
Remember to keep smiling

Thank you all for the Hollow suggestion. It is raining and expecting snow later today so I probably want be torching today but I am certainly going to give it a try I just love the way they look. I am so glad I want need a special mandrel. I will post pics no matter how they turn out….lol

Sparkbyarm - YEAH we want to see pics of what you make.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-05-11, 8:08am

I was able to play with the new glass last night. I got up too late to check out what the kiln fairies left me. I look forward to seeing everything this evening.
Old 2010-05-11, 9:13am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I was able to play with the new glass last night. I got up too late to check out what the kiln fairies left me. I look forward to seeing everything this evening.
Be sure to show us if anything makes you smile in there!
Old 2010-05-11, 9:16am

Has anyone tried out the copper? I have to dig out the hothead to try it!
Old 2010-05-11, 11:22am
me and dh just starting

What are some Devardi reactive colors?
Old 2010-05-11, 12:20pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle-by-am View Post
What are some Devardi reactive colors?
Have you visited their Specialty Glass page with examples? It's at:

http://www.devardiglass.com/specialtyglass.htm

And this is the link to all their videos on YouTube showing how to work with the different items like the Copper and Metallic Silver and Dichroic, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/mailbuggy#p/u

It would be neat to report on reactive changes between colors. Lets all do it as we find them!
Old 2010-05-11, 12:32pm
Live and Let Live

Two more days until my order arrives according to the tracking info.

Here's some silvered Butterscotch on Butterscotch...

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi