Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-10-21, 6:47am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default pic quality sucks

help. I have a good digital camera, but when i send the pics to (for instance walmart) the pic quality is crappy. they did say something about the size of the images, that they were too big for quality pics for certain size pics, but then why are some pics great, and others crappy. I do notice the better the light, the better the pics, I use microsoft picture editing, and bling it. they look really good on my computer, but when i print them out or send them to be printed at the photo shop, the quality is horrible. help!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2009-10-21, 10:58am
Formerly Kellyhorton

no suggestions? I think to narrow it down, it has to do with image size, im just curious, if i take all the same pics with same camera, download all the same way, why are the image sizes different, and what can I do so that i can make my printable pictures better quality?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2009-10-21, 11:48am
Experimentalist

Wish I could help, but you say they look great on your computer monitor, right?

Shrug...

I can't imagine why they'd become dreadful when being printed.

Old 2009-10-21, 12:58pm
Flaming Redhead!

It has to do with the resolution...72 pixels per inch (dpi) is fine for viewing on a computer but not for printing. You want at least 300 dpi to print an 8x10 photo. Check your camera for how many pixels per inch it's using, you will want the maximum resolution if you are printing your pictures. If you're not sure how many dpi your pictures are the file size is a good indication...the bigger the file size the better the resolution.

Also, be sure that when you are uploading your images from the camera to your computer, you are copying them at full resolution. Some programs are set to automatically down-size the files to make them easier to e-mail. I'm not familiar with the program you're using so I can't say if that is happening or not. Try not to do too much editing, with every change to the picture you make it's altering the dpi a little bit.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-10-21, 1:27pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

I plug in my card, then it downloads to microsoft photo gallery, then im able to open it in microsoft something else, ill have to check the name for sure at home

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2009-10-21, 2:36pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Ok, found the word i was looking for, grainy. I think i know why after reading scotts info. Too many editing programs and resaving....

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2009-10-21, 4:53pm

While it sounds like it could be the resolution you are creating them in and/or saving them to before you upload, it could also be that they are under exposed or you are using too high of an ISO setting. Under exposed images will look terrible when enlarged since you don't have a lot of information in the shadow areas and you will get that pixulated (grainy) splotchy look.

If your ISO setting is set to Auto, then it could be going to it's highest ISO setting to expose the images correctly. The problem is that at higher ISO settings, you lose quality and can get a pixulated (grainy) splotchy look. An ideal ISO is 100 or 200, depending on how many mega pixels your camera is. If you have a 8, 10, 12 mega pixel camera, you can go to 400 and still get very good quality images for printing. You start losing quality as you go up from there (some cameras go to 1600 or even 3200, which is good for getting a picture if you absolutely have to have one, but forget quality in most consumer rated cameras).

Something else that could be affecting your printed images is color space. If you are working in sRGB out of the camera and the printer wants Adobe RGB or visa versa, then the colors are going to be duller looking. Printers vary on what they want to in color space and resolution, but most will give decent prints with a resolution of 220 to 380 resolution. 300 is a default standard, but different printers use different algorythems based on their print heads and number of ink pixels per inch to determine their ideal resolution. The place you send it to should have that information available.

It's unfortunate that sending a digital file to be printed just isn't as easy as it was when you sent a negative in to be printed. There are a lot more variables that have to be considered if you want to get the best print you can. The good news though, is that once you find out what works best for you out of your camera, it doesn't really change. You just need to find out what resolution, size and color space you need and then crop based on the print size you want.

Mike
Old 2009-10-22, 9:43am
Gentleman of Leisure

Something I have started doing and it seems to work, is I shoot everything in RAW mode in my camera..... I NEVER edit and resave the "master image" once its in computer, I always work with ONE version (copy) of master and do all my work on that image and only save the edit to new file name..... I never go back and rework the "edited" version.... To much manipulation ruins a single image, if you always have the master image in RAW mode, you always have the unblemished image (sort of blank canvas) to create from....

And any form of edit you do will also depend on how you save image, JPG, GIF, TIFF whatever will all have effect on how the "worked over" image turns out...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal