Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-13, 9:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Yes, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-01-15, 7:55am
Formerly Kellyhorton

ok, will try moretti super clear first...I do love ether, but need something for my silver glass, and to put over dichroic 104 Thanks everyone

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-01-15, 7:06pm

Precision's Diamond Clear!! I just got 2 lbs for my b-day...it's my fave!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-01-24, 10:02am
Flame On!

Ok, update. I lied, by accident. I have not used Tag or Precision, but now plan to! I just used Reichenbach clear yesterday and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Here's the deal, Vetrofond, Aether and Lauscha clear turn my silver foil gold. Not good when you need silver foil. So I have been resorting to CIM over silver, but I always scum it up. Tried my only stick of Reichenbach from a sample package yesterday and it's wonderful. Silver stays silver and the stuff melts like honey. I think I like it more than Lausha. I am loath to try the Morretti Super Clear, but I think I'm gonna have to based on everyone else's reviews!!!

Old 2011-01-24, 10:30am
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglassattic View Post
Ok, update. I lied, by accident. I have not used Tag or Precision, but now plan to! I just used Reichenbach clear yesterday and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Here's the deal, Vetrofond, Aether and Lauscha clear turn my silver foil gold. Not good when you need silver foil. So I have been resorting to CIM over silver, but I always scum it up. Tried my only stick of Reichenbach from a sample package yesterday and it's wonderful. Silver stays silver and the stuff melts like honey. I think I like it more than Lausha. I am loath to try the Morretti Super Clear, but I think I'm gonna have to based on everyone else's reviews!!!
Hmmm. Do you know which Reichenbach you used, was it the 011 or the 012? In my experience, the 012 colored the silver to gold immediately, but I've never tried the 011. I'd love to know! When you say that it melted like honey, it's making me think that it's the 011, which I think is supposed to be soft?

Old 2011-01-26, 7:50am

Default clear for marbles

I want to make some soft glass marbles and was hoping someone could point me to a good clear (fatter rods) for this purpose... >

Old 2011-01-26, 8:06am
Formerly FishBulb

Sherry, the 1011 is stiffer but it is clear as a bell. It's absolutely perfect in every way (except for the stiffness, lol!). The 1012 is softer but can get scummy and bubbly.

I'm awaiting an email from a vendor of Reichenbach and I will be ordering more. If there is indeed more on the way soon I can always send you a short if you want to try it.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-01-26, 8:53am
Born Facing Left

Thanks, Angie, I'd love to try it with a short! Just let me know, okay?

Old 2011-01-28, 11:13am

Kay we have an awesome batch of Lauscha Soft clear in 9 to 11 mm rods.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-01-29, 9:53am

I will have to check that out. Thanks.

Old 2011-01-29, 7:42pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

My super clear also cracks my beads, every single one. And I bought a pound of it, damn! Maybe I'll mush it up and make frit.

My current favorite is Lauscha reformulated clear from Flame Dame. I'm telling you, when you use Lauscha, you just can't go wrong. It's really excellent. I use Lauscha dn only Lauscha to make my marbles out of (in the large rod size, that is).

That being said, I just bought a pound of Aether seconds, which I can't wait to try out.

Old 2011-01-29, 7:51pm

Wow. I have been using super clear for awhile now and it's not cracking or anything. I have to work it really low or I get bubbles but I seem to be having success with it and I use it more than any other clear at the moment.

Old 2011-01-29, 8:56pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Never had cracking with super clear... Maybe there is a bad batch?
Old 2011-01-31, 10:01pm

Default Silent Screaming going on here!

I spent all day making fire opals and so far lost 1/3 coming out of the kiln due to cracking! I imagine I will lose some more once I clean the bead release out!

Is there anything I can do? I mixed my new batch MSC in with my old batch....I am afraid the rest of the beads will eventually break....

Is MSC that is prone to cracking encased beads good for anything else

Shauna
Old 2011-01-31, 10:05pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thats sucky Shauna, sorry it happened to you. I have never had cracking on super clear, but my batch is little older. Where did you buy it, and when? Sounds like there is a bad batch out, since I have lately heard this happening to some people. No cool, might have to use the glass for something all by itself... only add pixiedust or enamels on it... or very little other stuff...
Old 2011-01-31, 10:50pm
Ad astra per aspera

I got some Effetre super clear from Frantz about 6 weeks ago, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. It melts fast, it's clean and easy to work, and bright as all get-out. It doesn't tolerate a few colors of 96 (I make 3 bead with Val's original Gold Purple that cracked, and two with a Spiral Dance frit containing a lot of blue and aqua, but that's it), but otherwise it seems to rock out.

Old 2011-02-01, 12:47am

I have a bunch of the Reichenbach crystal clear - 011 shorts and would be happy tosend some out for the first 5 or 6 folks who send me a PM with their address.

Old 2011-02-01, 8:01am

I ended up with 7 beads out of 24....It seems like the ones with the least amount of encasing were the ones that cracked and I was so proud of those!

I bought my glass at Artistry in Glass! I think it takes a bit longer for their turnover of stock