Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-09-05, 11:59am
I ate a big red candle!

Default Critique please? Trying to take more "artsy" pictures

Ok, so I think my pictures need something. They look great on a white background, but I have this fancy camera and light box. I want to make my pictures stand out from the crowd. I sell on etsy, so the competition is amazing. I know how important good pictures are.

This is just me playing around with props and whatnot. The lampwork beads are for sale, not the chain or spacer beads. What do you guys think? I am not very good at photography. It's all trial and error with me. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2009-09-05, 1:53pm
Fancy Mammal

I think you're doing pretty well with the phototgraphy!

I think the photo is great. I find the extra swarovskis confusing... I wonder why they're there. The chain I would (as a buyer) definitely assume was included, and I might assume from the image that it's bracelet necklace not just beads.

I think the beads look lovely, but wonder if the photo is dark? The only reason I wonder is because of the background -- is it a white cloth to start with?
Old 2009-09-05, 2:12pm
I ate a big red candle!

It is on a black background so I'll try to brighten the pictures a little. I'll be sure to note that the listing is only for the lampwork beads.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2009-09-08, 4:21pm

The biggest problem with it is you are out of focus in the left top corner, right top corner and a tad on the lower left corner. The out of focus areas really detract from the part that is in focus. Usually, an out of focus area will work, but it is behind the object with everything from the foreground to just behind the main focal point of the image in focus. This way the eyes will go naturally to what you are trying to highlight and stay there.

I also agree with Parisgal that it's confusing with the other stuff coming across the picture.

If you can't get a wider depth of field (the area that is in focus) with your camera, then you don't want to drap your object away from the camera, you want to drap it across in front. This way it will be in focus left to right and front to back won't matter.

Draping over rocks, interesting looking driftwood or limbs, or even on sand (different color sand can give a good contrast to your object and help highlight it) are choices to use to drap it over. You don't want to use anything that looks better or attracts the eyes more though. You want your object to stand out and not have any competition in the image for attention.

Mike
Old 2009-11-23, 7:36pm

The beads are so beautiful you don't need anything else !!
Old 2009-11-23, 10:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
The beads are so beautiful you don't need anything else !!
I agree. Sometimes if we try to hard with the set up of the photo it becomes distracting.