Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-05-02, 5:41pm
Slogan Challenged...

Default Help. New propane regulator, no instructions.

I have never used a propane regulator, and I am trying to set up my torch today. I opened the box and there are several pieces, with instructions in Chinese. Does anyone know how I would put this together?

Thanks!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-02, 5:50pm
I fart diamonds

The part on the right should screw into your tank but it doesn't look right. The part on the left is where your hose connects.

Old 2013-05-02, 5:57pm
Slogan Challenged...

There is no "Sleeve" for the propane end, what I have seen on other regulators, I was wondering that also.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-05-02 at 6:12pm.
Old 2013-05-02, 6:01pm
Slogan Challenged...

The red "cap" was actually another piece, and I put it together for the photo. However, one piece screws in with an hex shaped end and a "t-bar" which I think is for tightening the screw. This would be what adjusts the pressure? What is that square shaped thing for? Or any of it?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-02, 6:47pm
honorary bead lady

The "square" is to attach it to a different type of tank

You need to change the threaded end on the right to

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/...rackURL=nextag
Old 2013-05-02, 7:01pm
Slogan Challenged...

Thank you! Shoot, another week. Perhaps a local shop has one in stock.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-02, 7:10pm
I fart diamonds

You can likely get it at an Ace. i know mine carries them. Take the regulator in with you. Also, any welding shop should have them.

Old 2013-05-02, 7:21pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yep, I'm checking what we have here. We'll see if my husband is up for a trip. On the other hand, I have finals next week. Perhaps it is fate....and I can wait. Thanks for your help.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-03, 6:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

When assembled it should look like this... You will just have red knob instead ot the "T" bar..

You have sort of a universal it kit... Some parts will be extra... Local welding supply or ace or propane dealer (bulk dealer) can fix you right up...

It appears to be one of those "Chinese Republic Authentic Product" (CRAP)...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-03 at 6:50am.
Old 2013-05-03, 7:53pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yep, Chinese, although I was looking at so many, I didn't notice at the time. I'm regretting not getting a pancake reg from one of the glass suppliers. I had one on order for 3 months, they never got it in.

I heard these should work fine, hopefully that is the case and it will last a little while. I've got that adapter coming, so I'll update the post when I get this hooked up. Perhaps it will help someone else?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-07, 9:47pm
Slogan Challenged...

*UPDATE*

Well, I got the adapter which fits the propane tank just groovy. Doesn't fit the regulator. My T-hose running from the torch doesn't fit the outlet valve of the regulator either. The odd man out here is this regulator, which is not universal after all. I think I still need a "B" fitting to connect the hose outlet? Am I supposed to "replace" the connector as well, the outlet that would connect with the propane tank, with the one I purchased. Does this just unscrew? Or would that break some sort of pressure seal?

Best thing I would recommend, buy from a supplier who works with glass and knows that you are going to use it with bulk propane. In the meantime, does anyone know what I need to do now?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-05-07 at 9:53pm.
Old 2013-05-07, 9:55pm
Alaska Boro

The standard acetylene regulator fits a propane tank. Check with a welding supply firm such as Air Gas or Air Liquide. Also Graig's list can be a good source of used welding gauges.
Old 2013-05-07, 10:04pm
Slogan Challenged...

also a reducing/bushing fitting, this would help the hose fit?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-07, 10:17pm
Slogan Challenged...

Okay, got a pic. This is what I currently have. The hose and the propane adapter are fine.

What would I need to connect the rest, then? What would you use?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-08, 12:53am
Slogan Challenged...

Or would it just be better to move to something like this?

Since my torch already has B-connects attached, then I just need to attach at one of the B-fitted ends? I think this size is standard and should fit. Hose fittings on torch "1/4 id , T-rated.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2013-05-08 at 12:57am.
Old 2013-05-08, 6:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

With all the problems you are having, I would just get standard acetylene welding regulator and be done with it..... Regulators without gauges are usually fixed pressure and if you choose wrong you are in same boat as goofy regulator you cant connect....

IF you still want to use the adjustable regulator you have take it to a welding supply/repair shop and have them "fix" the thing so it is useful...

The brass fitting screwed in to regulator body are just extremely tight, you have to clamp regulator body into vice and use box end or socket to remove any fittings from body, brass being soft will distort real bad if you do not use proper wrenches to remove any fittings... Once you have rounded off "flats" (hex area) where wrench goes or you have distorted regulator body you are really in trouble....

IF the screw threads in regulator body are some off the wall threads (maybe metric) you may never get any reducers or fitting to adapt regulator to propane tank fittings...

Most standard (American made or to American standards) use NPT size threaded fitting in regulator body, if the regulator you have now is not NPT standard fitting you are going to have a real problem finding a fitting that will go into regulator body and adapt to the propane tank fitting you wish to connect to it.....

I only see a lot of frustration in project, you will either end up destroying the regulator and fittings or if you have success it will be after a long battle with hardware store parts to make it work....

Also remember all connections, adapters and fittings needs to be tight and leak free.... When assembling, use Teflon tape or pipe dope to help seal connections to regulator body....

Good luck!

Dale

Old 2013-05-08, 6:37am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Or would it just be better to move to something like this?

Since my torch already has B-connects attached, then I just need to attach at one of the B-fitted ends? I think this size is standard and should fit. Hose fittings on torch "1/4 id , T-rated.
This would be ok, if it has a gauge on it.... Check to see if it has a port (maybe plugged) that a gauge will screw into..... IF no port on regulator body you may have to use a "tee" fitting and some other parts to add a gauge....

At least you will probably be dealing with standard pipe thread on regultor body so it may be easier to adapt fittings to....

http://www.protanksupply.com/brass-propane-fittings.asp
http://www.protanksupply.com/propane...ccessories.asp
http://www.flameengineering.com/Regulators.html
http://www.flameengineering.com/Brass_Fittings.html
http://www.flameengineering.com/Cyli...onnectors.html

Personally this would be my first choice and would solve all the problem with one solution...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5430_200345430

Price is about what you would pay after you Micky Mousing around trying to adapt something and gather and assemble all the fittings and gauges and what knots to make a piece part assembly work....

Dale

Old 2013-05-08, 6:39am
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks Dale. Yeah, I'm thinking this is nonstandard and possibly metric. I need to get another regulator.

Thanks for reminding me about the pipe dope.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-05-08, 6:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
Okay, got a pic. This is what I currently have. The hose and the propane adapter are fine.

What would I need to connect the rest, then? What would you use?
The threaded end on propane tank adapter (yellow arrow) may come off ( if silver soldered it will not, if threaded it probably will) and the propane adapter may screw directly into gauge port (red arrow) IF you can get the funky fitting out of regulator body.... Then maybe not!!....

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-05-08 at 6:51am.
Old 2013-05-09, 1:49pm

I got the one Dale posted at my local Airgas. I'd return the "c.r.a.p." (lol Dale) you have and buy the good one.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2013-05-09, 8:39pm
Slogan Challenged...

Yep. I thought they were all standard fit, apparently not. Thanks to Dale for responding. I learned a lot with this. Hopefully by next week, I should be set up.

Facebook:

Etsy: