Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2008-02-16, 6:15pm

Default Any Dreamweaver experts out there??

I am going to pull my hair out!! Our PC's hard drive crashed and I am trying to downlaod my website onto my laptop so I can make some changes. I must be doing something wrong because I can't get it to download on my computer. I took a dreamweaver class about two years ago and I must have forgotten everything I learned!! It was only a 6 week course so it didn't go too in depth.

Anyway I have all my FTP info to set it up and I know there was a way of going to my web site and downloading it on to my dreamweaver program but I can't remember how. Any help would be great, thanks so much.
Bindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-02-19, 10:06pm

Hi Bindy ... I used Dreamweaver to design my old neglected site but never trusted the ftp part of dreamweaver and used to do a manual upload using the ftp program Ipswitch which always did a great job for me. It takes a bit of setting up, but once you have it in there you can log onto your site - see all the files and upload/download either way.

Hope that's some help,

Sadie - who now struggles with a wysiwyg site that drives her crazy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-19, 11:04pm
Happy in AZ

I use GoLive, when I start a new site it gives me the option of creating it from one already online, there is a button to "import from server". You just need to have your password etc to import it. If you can't get it to work, I can try to do it and send it to you.
Nancy
Old 2008-02-20, 5:50am

I have the same problem with my site. With Golive can I download from my "site" to my laptop or do I need the disk? My disk is with a friend in Milwaukee, I don't want to bother him as he has been dealing with brain cancer for the past year.

R-118
Old 2008-02-20, 6:54am
ManBearPig

I think one of the biggest mistakes that Adobe has made was to start producing Dreamweaver and discontinuing GoLive. I love GoLive, and hate Dreamweaver.

Anyways, get a copy of WS-FTP. It's a free FTP program that works great. I can never get Dreamweaver to work correctly with FTP so I use WS-FTP.

Old 2008-02-20, 9:06am
Happy in AZ

Cathie, yes, if you can log into the server, all of your files for your website can be downloaded to your computer. As Cosmo said, the free FTP software can probably do the same thing.

Nancy
Old 2008-02-20, 10:39am
da General

Bindy - Go to Window and select File, or F8, and you will get the dialogue box with you local and remote server enabling you to download the site from your web server. You need to create a folder on your computer so you can tell Dreamweaver where to put the downloaded files.

You must then go to Manage Site and Import the links or none of your links will show.

Hope this helps.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-28, 1:45pm

I'm a web designer (and newbie beadmaker). Hi.

To download your site from DW, first go to your 'file' tab in the right side of your DW, depending on which version you have. Click on the drop down right below, where it says 'manage sites'.

I assume your site is not already installed, so this is what you do. Click NEW > Site.

On your Local Info, fill in the directory where you will be storing your site at (on your local hard drive), click OK. Then OK. Your site will show up in the drop down File list.

Now, open Manage Sites again, and Edit. Then click on Remote Info. The reason you want to create the site first is if for any reason you mess up your setup, you will have to fill EVERYTHING in again. This way will save you time.

In Remote Info, were it says Access, select FTP
Your FTP host is usually your website name. Ie., pretend your website is: www.helenbeads.com,
in the FTP Host, you will type in: helenbeads.com (and NOTHING ELSE)
Host Directory: helenbeads.com/
Login: (your login)
Password: (your password)

Check the Use Passive FTP button

Now hit the TEST button. If it cannot connect, you will need to contact your host to make sure that the directory is correct (it should be), or that your password or Login are also correct.

If it's connected,
Click OK and Exit.
Click DONE at Manage Sites.

On your right menu bar, you will see your site.

The drop down next to that will say Local View. Click the down arrow and get Remote View. You may have to 'connect' first depending on your version. If so, click the little disconnected power plug button on the left, right below your site name.

Once connected, and you are VIEWING the Remote Site, Make sure the root directory (the one at the top) is selected, and hit the Down Arrow (NOT THE UP arrow... down arrow points DOWN and is usually light green, not blue).

This will bring down your entire site to the directory you specified under Local Site when you set up the site in DW at the beginning of this note.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to PM me, and I'll try to answer as soon as possible. I know how frustrating this could be. Maybe you can give me some bead advice sometime.

Helen
Old 2008-02-28, 10:08pm
disco granola punk

hi Helen! I was also a web designer from back in the old days before I started lampworking. I saw on another thread you used to build entire sites in notepad. I got quickstart guide to html 2.0 in '96 and built my first multi-page site the next day in a text editor on my mac. those were the days you could look at a page and KNOW every tag used. you know what I mean

cool to meet a fellow web geek.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2008-02-29, 12:46am

Hi Miahawk! It's nice to meet you... those notepad days were fun, and so straightforward! Right now it's all about XML and CSS... just when I thought I got HTML down.

It IS nice to meet a fellow web geek! One of these days, maybe I'll have beads worth making a page for so I can show everyone.
Old 2008-02-29, 9:11am
disco granola punk

you will! I'll look forward to it.

(retired from lampworking due to ill health)
Old 2008-03-15, 10:46pm

Oh my gosh I want to thank all of you for your help! I did it!!!!! Now if I can just figure out how to either shopping cart, paypal or zen cart, on my site and up and running I would be a happy camper! I feel like I have been working one this for ages and some of it I just don't understand. So back I go to try and get a cart up. I think I am too lold for this stuff. LOL I can maintain my site just fine but setting up new stuff is over my head! LOL