No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-12-03, 1:12pm
Just me

Talking This is where I make "beads". LOL

This is my work area. It's not purty and it's piece mailled from all the odds and ends of junky furniture lying around here but it's all mine. I'm very happy to have it too! We just moved things around to make it more efficient, put the glass storage together and hung the vent hood. These are large pictures on purpose so you could actually see stuff.

This is the whole shebang in one shot.

Here's my torch area. The tank is outside the window and there's a hole in the board for the hose to go through.

This is my storage for the 104 coe glass. A little meager but growing.
I have more fencing to cut for the other coe glasses I have to add.
Frit storage in the drawers below.

Here is the vent hood my husband slaved over for me. He made me promise to show pics of it here after all the work he put into it. It took a lot longer than anticipated. lol. It works great as is but I will feel better when the baffles are added.
The cool thing about my hood is it's on drawer tracks so it slides out the window through the hole cut in the board. When I'm done I slide it back in, remove the board and close the window. No permanent holes cut into my house.

Front View

Side View

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-12-03, 1:17pm
I'm a lilac!

Cool hood idea! Very ingenious. I have the "Do Not Light Yourself On Fire" thingie on my vent hood too.

Old 2005-12-03, 2:19pm
Covered in glitter

WOW! That's a great space! Odds and ends or not, I'd take it in a flash. Definately a cool idea from your hubby about the hood. Maybe mine will not get his shorts in a knot about a hood if I show him yours.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2005-12-04, 12:45am
Just me

Thanks Kalera and Deb,
I'll definately let my hubby know the vent hood is a hit. I forgot to mention there's so much duct tape on my hood it would make Red Green proud. Taping was my job and I just wanted to make sure all the holes and seams were covered. I believe they are!

Ya gotta love cinder blocks, they make great cheap furniture. Lol. I have a cinderblock and plywood entertainment center too....sigh. Sucks being poor.

You dig my bright yellow door/glass storage table? My whole basement was painted that color before the fire we had a few years ago. We've stripped the basement down to the concrete and found the lovely green you see now. Not too bad.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-12-04 at 12:49am.
Old 2005-12-04, 5:49am
boro color bender

That's looking really good! I would love for my work area to be that put together. Great job on the hood!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-12-04, 6:01am
Word to your mother

Tell you husband he gets a HUGE round of applause for the hood idea and all the work. That is neato burrito. I missed the storage for your "Frit Snorting Equipment". HEHE!

Old 2005-12-04, 7:25am

Most Execellent....I LOVE your space and agree with all the comments on the hood!!! Ingenious indeed!

Old 2005-12-04, 7:14pm
Tired but joyful!!

Extremely neat and organized, and that in itself is awesome!! Looks terrific!!
Annie
Old 2005-12-04, 7:23pm

WOW! Great idea on the hood! I have to show this to my hubby!

Angie
Old 2005-12-05, 2:07am

That's a great work space!! You have more glass than I do, so don't complain, it takes a while to collect. Right guys? That hood is ingenious. My hubby got all excited about cutting a hole through the house, go figure. You never know with hubbies. I think mine just likes power tools and messes, fine with me, I got my hood.
Old 2005-12-05, 11:44am
Just me

Oh no complaints on the glass. I am very happy to have it. It's taken more than a year and a half to get what I have. Nickle and dimed it here and there. There are a lot of cubbys that only have a couple rods in it but I have that color! Lol.

This is the most organized area in my house. If only I could be inspired and motivated enough to make the rest of my house as efficient.

Thanks for all your great replies everyone.

Old 2005-12-05, 7:01pm
Fire Monkey

Hey Bubby,
Can I come over and play?
I love it!
And...you have waaaaaay more glass than I!
I'm the big joke at the glass store because
I buy it by the rod as I need it. I don't have
room for more!

Hols

Old 2005-12-06, 9:58pm

where can you get those exhaust fan/hoods on the inet? Pretty cool
Old 2005-12-07, 4:48am

I love that space - cinder blocks rock! They don't burn and they are relatively cheap!

Do you lend him out for hood installation? What's the rental rate? I thought I had the discussion about what I needed with my boyfriend but he thinks I said I didn't need any ventilation 'cause I could always open the door wide open. 1 .... no, 2 .... no.

I need the vent fan fairy to swoop in and install me some ventilation ..... I'll feed him .... ("Honey - we're having guests - he's putting in the fan you think I don't need")

Martha
Old 2005-12-07, 7:55pm

IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Barb, that is great. I love it. Look how far we have both come since last year at this time. God is good........Love ya.
Vena
Old 2005-12-08, 1:16am
Cheerfully Profane

Hey Bubs,

If you rent him out, you could charge extra for the "eye candy".

Bek
Old 2005-12-08, 9:24am
Just me

Holly-You can come over any time. I'd love that! Torching in our jammies sounds like fun! Lol. I don't have a glass store near by so on those rare occasions when I get to place an order I try to think ahead a bit. I just placed my largest order recently (b-day/anniversary present) so a large portion of that glass is new. Which is why I needed better storage!

ring_of_fire-My hubby built the hood for me. The fan is a 500cfm inline duct fan ($35) and the rest of the hood is built from hvac parts all found at home depot, the drawer tracks were something that was lying around at work. It was inexpensive as far as ventilation goes.

Martha-Lol, I don't know if he'd be willing to build another hood. He was about sick of this one when it was done. It took a few "revisions" to get it usable. I had been bugging my hubby for ventilation for quite some time. It finally took me throwing a fit and being near tears before he "got it". I was pretty sick of sucking fumes, the fans weren't cutting it anymore and not making beads wasn't an option!

Vena!!!!!-How are you girlfriend! I have been thinking about you! I'm shooting you and email today!

Bek-LMBO!!! Funny you should mention that. I was teasing him about how hot the gals think he is here and that his vent hood is a hit. I threatened to pimp him out as my little beadie ventilation gigalo. I got this look

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2005-12-08 at 1:04pm.
Old 2005-12-29, 8:42pm

Oh, gosh your husband did an awesome job with the hood!!! Really cool!!! You space is great and looks easy to work in, like the way you have your glass.
Old 2005-12-30, 11:48pm

Great Pics! and Great Organization. Now you are set to create!.
Get to work girl.

MarieBusyBee (WC)

Old 2007-01-08, 8:54pm

Oooo, great set up. I need to know where you got the "Do not set yourself on fire" sticker!!!
Old 2007-01-09, 12:31am
Just me

Wow! It's been over a year since I posted this thread.
Boy, my lampwork station sure doesn't look much like that now. I got more glass, more presses and way more mess now. Lol.

I cannot for the life of me remember who had posted that pic or even which forum it was on.
I saved it a long time ago and just printed it up and taped it up on my hood. You could get a sheet of sticker paper and print it on that if you don't want to do the tape thing. Also if you google it as an image you'll also get a few more and a couple different versions.

Here you go. Enjoy!

Old 2007-01-09, 5:26pm

Nice space. I can't wait until my area is that organized. Can you tell me what kiln you're using? By the way....kudo's to your hubby for the hood.
Old 2007-01-12, 4:21pm
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Great work space I love it, and the hood is great, my husband just installed mine this week I wish I would have seen this thread first, he never did cut a hole in the wall of the garage. He ended up putting it up through the ceiling into the attic and out those vents. Did you say the glass storeage cubicles were fencing?
Great job!
Old 2007-01-12, 10:14pm
Just me

Debbie Ann,
My kiln is a Jen-Ken AF3P 11/4.5 and I love it. I bought it off ebay quite a while ago and got a good deal on it. It is pretty big inside so I can do fusing and stuff too.

Louise,
Yep the glass rod storage is scrap pieces of vinyl fencing rails. I bought them from a company who builds fences. They charged me less than half of what it would've cost if I had bought new. So call around to fencing places if you are wanting to get some and you may get a good deal on scrap pieces. Worth a few phone calls anyway.

Thank you both for your compliments on my hood and work space. I cannot wait until I can get back down there and make some glass goodies again!

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-01-12 at 10:17pm.
Old 2007-01-13, 8:31am
Absolutely loving it!!!!!

Thanks for the info, I showed the pics to my husband and he loved the idea of the drawer slides, you know the "don't drill throught the wall" really appealed.
Thanks
Old 2007-01-13, 10:58am
The Andrea Half

IU would love to see instructions for that window vent hood!!! Edited: Dangi, I used to live in Walla Walla and went over to the Dry Shi---sorry, the Tri-Cities every week for folk dancing as weather and time permitted ...

Last edited by FourTailsLampwork; 2007-01-13 at 11:02am.