Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-16, 12:30am

Question Cheapest Place To Buy Glass?

Since you all have soo much glass, can you tell me where the cheapest place on the internet is to buy from? We have no one locally that sells this sort of stuff.
Thanks for any input
Irene
Old 2006-02-16, 12:43am

I think that depends on how you want to buy it. If you want to buy 20+ pounds franz is a good place to go. I can't get their web site to work decently however its only allowing full pounds or was the last time I was there. If you want 12' single rods than howaco is a good place to go I've recently discovered... They sell bullseye and moretti both single rods and single stringers. I like Jo-del and Island glass for 1/4 pounds. Arrow springs sells by the full rod or any fraction of a pound but their mail order is messy to say the least from my exsperiance. If there are other good choices I'd love to hear about them.

A.
Old 2006-02-16, 1:00am
Fancy Mammal

Actually, that's a pretty good start -- if you're looking for Morretti/Vetrofond, you've pretty much covered it. On Ebay there is Islandglass!!!, lbssupply, and sungirl501

There is Bridgetown Glass, www.bridgetownglass.com for Bullseye and Uroboros by the rod. Great service, super fast shipping and easy to use web site. Also a great selection of Odd lots, pictures of the rods (I always like that when ordering on the web) and often with pictures of the color as a bead. The prices are competitive with everything else.

If you're brancing out even more, there is Olympic Color www.glasscolor.com, which has lots of 96 COE glass, but be sure to go to the lampworking section. (Pretty good web site too)

Anyway, the best prices are online... there are several stores in my area, but they range from slightly more to triple (depending on the store) what the prices are online.
Old 2006-02-16, 5:21am

I've almost always used Lampworkingsupplies.com for Moretti. But I can walk in there. I used Frantz for one sample pack and that was it. But from Californina your shipping time will probably be better from Frantz. I also like JoDel Glass for Lauscha ~ and other things I can't resist while I'm ordering.
Old 2006-02-16, 8:43am
<--- Time traveler

I like GalaxyGlass (sungirl501) for when I just want a few odds and ends. She ships very quickly! When I'm ordering a ton of stuff I order from Frantz for the best price, but they take forever to ship. I also order from Glasscraft. You can join their "best price always" club and get the big volume discounts no matter how much glass you order. If you buy a lot of glass it's worth it, adn I have had EXCELLENT service from them, and fast shipping as well.

Courtney
Old 2006-02-16, 9:07am

Another good place with quantity (starting at 5 lb) discounts is generationsglass.com for Moretti/Effetre. The only draw back is the lack of odd lots, but they have everything else. I agree with Courtney about Galaxy Glass for smaller orders, she is wonderful to work with. I have ordered all my Lauscha from glassdaddy.com. He is fast, honest, and only charges actual shipping charges.

Good luck,
Lisa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-16, 9:07am

I just noticed that www. generationsglass.com has really good lb prices for Moretti, better than Frantz and My Husband just ordered a torch for me from them and their customer service is OUTSTANDING. Other than that I mostly order from Jo-Del and Frantz.

Amy
Old 2006-02-16, 9:13am

I agree with Courtney about GlassCraft. The customer service is TOP NOTCH. They are the nicest people. I buy in the store. To give you an idea about their service..they hand delivered a order to my mom's house 2 days before Christmas..FREE and almost every time I go in if I ask a question not only do they answer it..sometimes they crank up a torch and show me! The glass club averages out to $5.00 a month but it takes the prices way down!
I have found Arrow Springs to be the best prices. The are very helpful. They are usually out of at least one or two things I am ordering. My glass has always come well packed and they are very friendly. You might want to research and compare shipping costs before you buy. Sometimes the glass is less but the shipping is higher.

Have fun shopping!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-02-16, 9:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleigh
I just noticed that www. generationsglass.com has really good lb prices for Moretti, better than Frantz and My Husband just ordered a torch for me from them and their customer service is OUTSTANDING. Other than that I mostly order from Jo-Del and Frantz.

Amy
I also purchased my torch from them when I upgraded. I was very happy because Kristen knows about all the torches and was very honest about which ones were best for my purposes.

Lisa

Old 2006-02-16, 4:06pm

I just ordered my torch and first glass order from http://www.dichroicimagery.com/
I didn't need any special odd lots which it doesn't appear they have- but I did need a good price on the beginning basics and they came through on that.
The Moretti prices were good for me because they were at or slightly lower than anything else I saw and I was ordering a max of one pound. Abover there are places with volume discounts that may be worth exploring in the future.
Their service so far has been impressive- I left a note with a question and they called and emailed me as they packed it to see if they could answer it and help me with something I was not able to find on their site. I could not have been more happy with the service. The package should be here on Monday
Old 2006-02-16, 4:31pm

jameylynn @ howaco glass ( www.howacoglass.com ) checks shipping @ usps & ups to find you the best price of the 2 before she ships & ships the least expensive way unless you specify that you want one way in particular! Oh & no "handling" or "packaging" charges from her either. She also weighs her glass in grams, so you get exactly what you pay for & nothing from her *ever* comes smelling of ciggarette smoke (if that's a concern--I'm athsmatic, so I appreciate that)
The only thing she doesn't have is odd lots (like the odd corals)--I've gotten those from "galaxy glass" on ebay & been very happy with her service as well--she does a great deal with flat rate priority boxes if you get 3 or 4 pounds it's the standard flat rate for shipping (currently $8.10)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-02-16, 5:16pm

Well Arrow has a big Glass sale going on right now....No relation. I just like good prices! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-02-16, 6:12pm
Stress Cracked

I agree with all the above and I have not settled down to just one supplier - I'm still willing to experiment.

There are two suppliers I have used that haven't been mentioned yet. One is http://waleapparatus.com/ - I have found their prices to be competitive - They are in Hellertown, PA if shipping costs are an issue (I also live in PA - so it makes sense for me to buy from Wale versus Arrowsprings).

The other is http://www.checkglass.com/ - my source for Tourmaline Pink.
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2006-02-16, 7:44pm

Wow...thanks for all the replies....I wrote down all the sites and can't wait to research.
I was thinking of Arrowsprings for now because they offer an assortment. They have this pack that's every color of Moretti glass in rods and stringers for $136.00. Since I'm A Beginner..I thought it might be wise to see all the colors before making a large order and this way I know which one's I like and don't like if that makes sense.
THanks again
Irene
Old 2006-02-17, 4:42pm

I'd suggest a starter pack, or a quantity of white, black and a couple colors.

I think it is good to learn how the glass acts in the flame (obvious with white) to give you the feel for how much heat is there, when it is getting solid and when it needs insurance heat and such.

I went with the assortment pack from Frantz way back when. I tinkered with it till a class using basic colors. Then I worked quite a while trying to refine things with the basics before moving back to extra colors.

Good luck.
Old 2006-02-17, 5:14pm

I know JoDel offers that assortment (don't know if it's the same price) & JameyLynn @ Howaco will certainly make you up the same one as well if you ask her to--she does "exact cost per rod" on her glass, so you could add extra clear, white, & black to round it out & eliminate the "expensives" & "annoyings" (like the alabastos & opalinos--omg, does any new torcher EVER use those without burning them? I've burnt most of mine--still burn the c*** out of it--useless stuff for me!) & not have colors that are honestly just SILLY in the "sample pack"--they LOOK pretty--but seriously--they just burn up, boil, soot & do horrid things if you're a new flame worker (and I'm *still* a new flameworker--heck, I know some well-established flameworkers who won't use those colors!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-02-17, 7:22pm
Anna Duhame

My favorite place to buy glass is Flame Tree Glass...their prices are very reasonable and they have excellent customer service. www.Flametreeglass.com

Old 2006-02-17, 7:53pm
Insane? You're Insane!

I have to say I LOVE DICROIMAGERY! I live a few minutes away and they let me come pick up my orders. They are a small warehouse out in the middle of nowhere Indiana, it's close to bloomington. They are super, super nice guys. They call to check things with you, they email, they want to be sure you're happy. I emailed with a question about a smaller fiber blanket and they emailed back that since I suggested it they put it on the website that day and would offer it to me with no shipping charges! I told them I would come pick it up anyway, but they didn't know I live here. I am so impressed with them. I know they are not the cheapest on each item, but their service makes up for it!
Old 2006-02-17, 10:39pm
Ad astra per aspera

It DEFINITELY depends on what you want, and when. Since you're in CA, you'll save bunches from Arrow Springs on shipping. Keep an eye on their website: www.arrowsprings.com. They have "last column pricing" on various flavors of glass at various times, and that's always a good thing to look for.

They're currently having last column sales on Satake, Bullseye and Uroboros. Hang in there, Moretti and Vetrofond WILL follow at some point!

Old 2006-02-18, 2:31am
Bitten by the travel bug

I really like Heritage Glass. They give good qauntity discounts, which last for a year (even if your next purchase is only small). They have now started selling bullseye as well as effetre and vetrofond, so thats even better.