Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-24, 8:25pm
Dances With Fire

Default bead release rant!!!

I have run out of my favorite bead release...KRAGG...( it is on order) and after fighting with every other brand of bead release I own and have here I have made the executive decision to just not bead until my release gets here...It sucks because I have the time this weekend to bead....but I am not wasting one more ounce of glass on a bead release that flakes off as I am using it!

well...maybe I'll just buy glass!

crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-24, 8:28pm
Slightly Askew.....

Wow! That must be some wonderful bead release. I haven't found the perfect one yet.

~Charlotte~

~A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~

Old 2006-11-24, 9:25pm
runs with pruning shears

crystal, Have you tried fosterfire?
I had problems with bead release flaking until I used it. I bought some from Robin at the gathering when kragg samples were being distributed, and she said it is very similar to hers.

I've tried the kragg (had the samples) and like it Ok, but I'm 100% sold on foster fire. It not only hols up nicely in the flame, but cleans up better than any I've found (it's soooo much easier than cleaning sludge out of holes!!!)

if you're having a problem getting the mudd, you might want to give it a try (seeing as they are believed to be of similar constitution).
Aloha,
Elise
Old 2006-11-24, 9:56pm

Ooh I have been through a number of bead releases ... I like Foster Fire - but it's not perfect for every situation. I now use a mix of FF with Profusion (for reheating the beads a second time I just use the straight Profusion mix) mix for most of all my beads. I let it dry for 2 days and that seems to work best for my beads. I think your beads need a very personal concoction for themselves.

Sadie
sadie

Old 2006-11-24, 11:19pm
Formerly known as LT

I mix foster fire and bucket O mud. I started doing that when I ran low one day and wanted to do long beads. Works great I get the best of both worlds. I didn't like foster fire for boro but haven't done boro beads in a while, so don't know how the mix would work for me.
Are you using new manderals? I have found some are coated with some type of oily stuff. I clean mine and then ruff them up with a little sand paper. It gives them just a bit more hold and they do much better for pressed and sculptured beads.
Old 2006-11-25, 5:46am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I too mix Foster Fire with BOM.. Works totally great that way. I was having major issues with the BOM breaking off and I find Foster Fire a little gritty and thick.. Mixing them together works great, takes care of both the issues and the beads most of the time pop right off after a nice soak in some water.
Old 2006-11-25, 7:10am
Dances With Fire

I have bucket of mud and foster fire...maybe I'll try mixing them together! No, my mandrels are very well used! I have tried a couple of mix concoctions and am still fed up...but I will try the mix so I can make a few beadies this weekend. I do have some special orders to fill ( adding to the frustration!). And yes, KRAGG is wonderful!

Thanks guys!

crystal

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2006-11-25, 8:30am
Formerly known as LT

One thing I have found with that mix is that I have much better luck if I let them air dry. I know what the package says but If I try to dry it in the flame it just flakes right off. Yes I only use the cooler part of the flame doesn't matter it just likes it better if I let it air dry for an hour or so. Good luck! I hope it works for you.
Old 2006-11-25, 10:54am
Mr. Cellophane

I also really like Foster Fire and I mix mine with Fusion. I tug and pull on my glass so much that anything else with break off and I am stuck with a spinning bead.
________
Howler

Last edited by Libby L.; 2011-03-30 at 4:01am.
Old 2006-11-25, 11:33am
the Evil One

I do the same thing as Libby, mix foster fire and fusion. Holds great no matter how I'm making a bead, press, super long, etc!
Sandra

Old 2006-11-25, 12:19pm
Dances With Fire

maybe I'll get some fusion! I have a huge bottle of foster fire. I really abuse mine too with big beads and presses and stuff! I need release that stays there but comes off when you clean them...that is why i like KRAGG. I was flame drying the foster fiire...maybe that is why it was flaking so much. I'll go dunk soem and let um dry and give it another whirl!

you guys are the best!

crystal

Old 2006-11-25, 2:21pm
Dances With Fire

yessss much nicer consistency with the ff and bom! I may actuallyt be able to bead///I love you guys! you saved my weekend!

crystal

Old 2006-11-25, 3:33pm
the Evil One

Glad we could help !
Sandra

Old 2006-11-27, 3:02am
Formerly known as LT

Hope it worked for you!