Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

View Poll Results: Would you prefer DVD or Written Tutorials or both?
Prefer DVD Tutorial 19 31.15%
Prefer PDF or written Tutorial 50 81.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-08-19, 8:14am

Default Tutorial on DVD's vs. PDF's ?

I've read throughout LE, people talking about receiving their tutorials in LIVE DVD or CD format. Seems like there is some interest in that.
After reading Loco's post in the bathroom the other day about someone stealing her hard work and reproducing it for others, It got me thinking of a way to protect those that work so hard to make these tutorials.
I've created a few tuts in Wire work and jewelry and it's not an easy task.
She and others put hours and hours and even days or weeks into compiling a well thought out document, for someone to just come along and take it from them.

I'm getting ready to create my Pleated vessel Tutorial and don't want the same thing to happen to me.

Would you mind voting on this?

ETA-
LIVE DVD's vs Written pdf.
Not static photo's ON DVD's.

OR-

ETA~ You know what I think would be awesome, and I know it's a lot of work and not everyone that creates tut's will want to do this, but why not create tuts in both formats, Live DVD and PDF to offer. That way, one can purchase either if they want and offer the other at a huge discount or comp.
Example~ If someone buys the DVD, then send them the PDF too as comp, but if someone buys the PDF, offer the DVD for half price plus shipping.

Last edited by slcuniques; 2008-08-19 at 9:09am.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:32am
Mary Lockwood

Well, speaking as a buyer of tutorials instead of writer of tutorials, I want something printed in my hand.

The problem with a disk is that you still have to print it out. Personally, if I were purchasing a tutorial, I would be more likely to buy the printed version so I wouldn't have to print it. However, if I were only getting a digital version anyway, I would rather it be PDF so that I can download it right away instead of waiting for a disk to ship.

If I'm waiting for something to be shipped to me, I would rather it already be printed out.

Speaking as a writer of tutorials, I think most people are pretty honest. I think most of us are willing to support each other and actually purchase the tutorials instead of sharing them freely amongst ourselves.

However, there are always going to be a few people who share or try to help out their friends. If they are going to share a digital file, they will just as easily print it out and share it that way.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I'm just putting them out there and having faith that most people are being honorable about it. If someone is getting the file for free, they probably aren't somebody who intended to purchase it full price anyway so I haven't really lost a sale. That does NOT make it right, but it does take the financial sting away a little bit.

~~Mary
who believes the universe takes care of itself eventually

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-19, 8:35am
Butterfly Rancher

I'm usually a written word type of person but I've found that with lampworking (and wireworking) that seeing something done is so much better. There are so many things that people do that they don't realize that they're doing. So I voted for DVD.

However, if it is just static photos/writing in DVD or CD form then I'd rather just get the PDF so I can print it out and use it by the torch. Also a DVD or CD would require shipping and postage. I like that a PDF can be downloaded and used very quickly.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-08-19, 8:37am

Great Point Mary! I like the way you think.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:38am
Butterfly Rancher

And what Mary says... if I'm waiting for something in the mail, I'd rather get a printed copy. I have been very unhappy with my printer's printing qualities. So a beautifully printed copy with sharp printing of the photos would be better than a DVD or CD.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-08-19, 8:40am

I was talking about a live DVD.. Not photo's. I like to SEE it being done too.
Good point. Glad you brought that up about static photo's.

Thing I was thinking too was PDF and DVD but sheesh. That would be dbl work.. That can get costly for the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckah View Post
I'm usually a written word type of person but I've found that with lampworking (and wireworking) that seeing something done is so much better. There are so many things that people do that they don't realize that they're doing. So I voted for DVD.

However, if it is just static photos/writing in DVD or CD form then I'd rather just get the PDF so I can print it out and use it by the torch. Also a DVD or CD would require shipping and postage. I like that a PDF can be downloaded and used very quickly.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:45am

I love the visual dvd's, it's quick learning to me. Thank you for asking.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:47am

I was just thinking wouldn't it be great if there were a quick reference photo page of the steps included with a dvd to take to the torch?
Old 2008-08-19, 8:48am
novembersfyre everywhere

I like getting the downloads. If I choose to burn it to a DVD I can. And, I can fit a lot of tutorials on one DVD. This gives me the option of printing it out or using it on another computer - which is important for those of us who own more than one computer. Also, when my laptop dies I'll have a backup copy.

If I want a tutorial I will buy a copy.

By the way, what do you all think of companies that rent lampworking DVDs?
Other than the initial purchase of the DVD that company pays nothing to the artists. I used them a couple of times thinking that there was some sort of royalty arrangement between the owner of the copyrights and the rental company but found out later that there is not. So, if you offer your information on a DVD it is possible it will end up being offered by that rental company.

And, yes I know, this is no different than what Blockbuster or Netflix does but they buy hundreds of copies of each movie so at least some profit goes back to the original owner of the movie.

Old 2008-08-19, 8:50am

Hey! Now that's a GREAT idea!! Thank you for that input. Kinda like a large sharp image contact sheet! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadDesignsByCarol View Post
I was just thinking wouldn't it be great if there were a quick reference photo page of the steps included with a dvd to take to the torch?
Old 2008-08-19, 8:50am
novembersfyre everywhere

I just wanted to add if something is a video then I would prefer it to be on a DVD. Video takes up a lot of bandwidth to even watch and Comcast is notorious for choking.

Old 2008-08-19, 8:53am

I didn't know that the artist doesn't receive royalties on rentals, but I do know you can copy protect DVD's. They can be locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
I like getting the downloads. If I choose to burn it to a DVD I can. And, I can fit a lot of tutorials on one DVD. This gives me the option of printing it out or using it on another computer - which is important for those of us who own more than one computer. Also, when my laptop dies I'll have a backup copy.

If I want a tutorial I will buy a copy.

By the way, what do you all think of companies that rent lampworking DVDs?
Other than the initial purchase of the DVD that company pays nothing to the artists. I used them a couple of times thinking that there was some sort of royalty arrangement between the owner of the copyrights and the rental company but found out later that there is not. So, if you offer your information on a DVD it is possible it will end up being offered by that rental company.

And, yes I know, this is no different than what Blockbuster or Netflix does but they buy hundreds of copies of each movie so at least some profit goes back to the original owner of the movie.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:54am

As a person who lives in a country where the postal service is shocking I love the fact that I can buy a tutorial and receive it within minutes.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:56am

DVD Movie tutorial. Play it on your TV or computer. Live Tutorial.

Quote:
I just wanted to add if something is a video then I would prefer it to be on a DVD. Video takes up a lot of bandwidth to even watch and Comcast is notorious for choking.
Old 2008-08-19, 8:57am

I hope everyone is voting in the poll. You don't have to post but it would be nice to see the poll results and it helps us all to learn what the majority of people prefer.
Old 2008-08-19, 9:00am
Dangerous Woman

The DVD player I have near my torch is old and only plays some DVDs. I like having the instructions right next to me while I'm torching. If I had a DVD I would have to play it in the house and rely on memory to do what is being shown. Unless edited really well I've found most DVDs are kind of boring. I actually fell asleep watching a couple of them. I would much rather have a hard copy - paper - of a tut so I can go back a page if I forget something. Now the tut needs to have both good photos and written directions.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-19, 9:01am

Absolutely Nancy!
Old 2008-08-19, 9:04am

You know what I think would be awesome, and I know it's a lot of work and not everyone that creates tut's will want to do this, but why not create tuts in both formats, Live DVD and PDF to offer. That way, one can purchase either if they want and offer the other at a huge discount or comp.
Example~ If someone buys the DVD, then send them the PDF too as comp, but if someone buys the PDF, offer the DVD for half price plus shipping.

Last edited by slcuniques; 2008-08-19 at 9:08am.
Old 2008-08-19, 9:08am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcuniques View Post
DVD Movie tutorial. Play it on your TV or computer. Live Tutorial.
This I have no interest whatsoever in unless I can save it. It's fine for freebies but I wouldn't pay for it.

And, yes, I know for a fact that royalties are not paid to the artists whose DVDs are rented out. I know several people whose DVDs are being rented out by that company. Copy protection doesn't apply in that situation. I don't like copy protection as I can't make a back-up copy. So, I would like to know in advance if a DVD has it. Your choice to copy protect - my choice to not purchase - so all is good

Old 2008-08-19, 9:15am

I wasn't questioning your knowledge Mary. I really didn't know about the royalties not being paid.. That stinks.. How can they do that without permission?
I do have a question. Why would we need a back up copy of a DVD when we already have the DVD? Just curious

Quote:
This I have no interest whatsoever in unless I can save it. It's fine for freebies but I wouldn't pay for it.

And, yes, I know for a fact that royalties are not paid to the artists whose DVDs are rented out. I know several people whose DVDs are being rented out by that company. Copy protection doesn't apply in that situation. I don't like copy protection as I can't make a back-up copy. So, I would like to know in advance if a DVD has it. Your choice to copy protect - my choice to not purchase - so all is good
Old 2008-08-19, 9:17am

All this info is helping a lot!! I hope to see a lot more input!
Old 2008-08-19, 9:27am

i would love both, seeing something done works better for me. but i love to have it written out too for by the torch too.

Old 2008-08-19, 9:30am
ManBearPig

Personally I prefer a video tutorial to a printed tutorial. But, having said that, I am currently working on a book, so go figure...

Old 2008-08-19, 9:31am
it is what it is......

i should have voted for both......i only voted for the dvd formate. please take note of that sandy...thanks!

Old 2008-08-19, 9:32am

LOL Cosmo, Kind of a catch 22 isn't it..

Dawn, Tha'ts what I was thinking too. I love watching the DVD's but it's nice to have a hard copy for taking to the torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Personally I prefer a video tutorial to a printed tutorial. But, having said that, I am currently working on a book, so go figure...
Old 2008-08-19, 9:34am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hmmm,

I like a printable format so I can take it to my shop and have a reference for something complicated. On the other hand, I have done a lot of teaching over the years of hollow work, and things like pulling points etc, you just have to see it to understand and get the timing right. There are a lot of nuances that an experienced glass worker takes go granted, tha are good to see.

So, hmmmmm I like the instant gratification of a downlaodable tut, but would also like to see the item being made real time with narration.

Can I have both please?

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-08-19, 9:41am
Dangerous Woman

There are already many tutorials already out on video. They all sell for a much higher price than most of the pfd tutorials. I'm assuming that they would cost more to make - and take longer to make. I'm happy with the paper as I said earlier. If an artist wants to do video instead or in addition to pfd tht is his/her purgative and we as consumers can purchase what we want.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-08-19, 9:55am

right Nancy. I've made a few DVD's for various things and they are easy to do. I've also made the pdf tutorials. A bit harder IMHO. I guess on the DVD's it depends on what software you have. Being on a Mac, I have iDVD and it's so so easy to create. And the blank DVD's aren't expensive. About .50 each. It's just like pdf. Once you have the first DVD created, it's just a matter of reproducing it.
Old 2008-08-19, 10:13am

If you're thinking of doing a video dvd, that is a totally different thing than a pdf burned to dvd. I expect to pay more for a video dvd, and have totally different expectations than a printed pdf. They are great because they really walk you through the steps in live action.

If you're thinking of making more of a slide show, more of a pdf on dvd with photos & text slides, I'm not sure if that has much added value over a printed or digital pdf format. The only benefit that I can think of for that would be people with a slow internet connection who don't want to download a giant pdf.

So if its not video, I'd say go with the pdf & perhaps, if you're super nice, offer to burn it to cd or dvd for those on dial up, for an additional charge.

|
Old 2008-08-19, 10:31am

Thanks Lavender. Yeah, I'm talking Video, Not photo's on a DVD. I want to do a live DVD in action.. and also do a pdf with still shots for the torching area. My video won't just have the pleats but start to finish live step by step how to make the pleated vessel and how to create even matching swan neck handles. I figure if I do both, people will have choices on format. That's why I vote for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendar420 View Post
If you're thinking of doing a video dvd, that is a totally different thing than a pdf burned to dvd. I expect to pay more for a video dvd, and have totally different expectations than a printed pdf. They are great because they really walk you through the steps in live action.

If you're thinking of making more of a slide show, more of a pdf on dvd with photos & text slides, I'm not sure if that has much added value over a printed or digital pdf format. The only benefit that I can think of for that would be people with a slow internet connection who don't want to download a giant pdf.

So if its not video, I'd say go with the pdf & perhaps, if you're super nice, offer to burn it to cd or dvd for those on dial up, for an additional charge.