LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-01-09, 5:47pm

Default Wanted flower sculptures for paperweights

I'm playing with Stump Suckers for mini paperweights and I want to add flower sculptures. I've made a few--well, they almost look like flowers, I'm sure there must be a much better way to make much better ones. Has anyone any tips or aware of a tutorial?? I'm using soft glass.

Thanks,

Deb
Old 2006-01-10, 3:33am

First of all you need to work incredibly small. Use a needle flame, melt a very small ball on a previously formed cane/stringer of choice. Using your tweezers flatten slightly, pull and flame cut. This will give you petals or leaves, depending on what cane you used.
Keep them on a hot plate, make more than you think you will need.
Then assemble flower by using a stringer of the leaf stem colour. Form a tiny ball and add a dot of colour for the flower centre. A milli can look good too.
Pick up a petal and flash in the flame, carefully spot heat the place you want to attach it to and the base of the petal, attach and pull slightly so you don't leave a blob or crease. Repeat until you have the petals on in the way you desire.
Warm your tweezers and holding the flower, gently shape the stem and attach some leaves where appropriate.Usually you can curl the stem so it isn't too high. Put a layer of frit in contrasting colours on the base of your stump sucker perforations.
Lower your little flower design so it is in the centre.
Next is the tricky part......
Using a very fine flame heat from above the flower setup, keep it all warm but not so hot that it will disfigure or slump.
Have someone else (or if you have the skill) melt a large blob of clear glass.( It does help to skim off any imperfections before melting.)
keeping the flower assembly warm, put end of tube in your mouth, bring your clear gather over to the stump sucker, position over top, bring it down and SUCK !.
No matter how hard you suck you won't get hot air or anything like that...or at least I never have! there is a good filter in the tube lline for a reason!.

Hope this helps, it has been a few years since I have had mine out to play, so trust my memory s OK!
Emily

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-10, 6:27pm

Emily,

Thanks for the tips. It's pretty much what I've been doing, except I was using my bobcat to make the flowers and wasn't getting the small flame I needed. I think I'll use the Smith Little Torch for that work (duh). I know that lots of practice will make such a difference, but I wanted to be sure I was practicing the right steps. When I see some of the ones done right-they are so awesome!!

Thanks again,

Deb
Old 2006-01-11, 12:21pm

You're welcome Deb.
Just got to think really really tiny as everything is magnified by the clear encasement.
Emily

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-11, 3:28pm
Anna Duhame

I always wondered how that was done! Also wondered what a Stumpsucker was used for...THANK YOU!

Old 2006-01-13, 12:26am

Loren Stumps class I is awsome and you will learn how to make the flowers and how to use the stumpsucker!!!!!!!!! And his classes are fun!!!!!!!!!

MarieBusyBee (WC)

Old 2006-09-06, 1:20pm
It's fun when it's fun

Oh Cool! I was wondering about how that was done! now I'll have to sign up for his workshop when he is in town again! woo!
Old 2006-11-03, 6:08am
Too Hot for my Torch

You kick butt Emily I just got mine! Now I get to try it
The day we understand; everything that's going on, everything we're doing, and all that has come before; will most likely be the day we die. Otherwise we'll tell the world and then what will people do with their free time?
Old 2006-11-07, 9:26am
ManBearPig

When I make small things like that - which is not very often - I use a Smith Little Torch for it. It's a soldering torch, but runs on oxygen and propane. It's very small, and has interchangeable tips to make the flame many different sizes. It's great for detail work.

Old 2006-11-10, 11:25am
Fairy WiNg Designs

Does anyone have a picture of a stump sucker in action? I would like to see how that works.
Thanks,
Tonnia

I'll have a cafe mocha,vodka,valium latte to go please
Old 2006-11-20, 9:04pm
Leila Carras

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnia View Post
Does anyone have a picture of a stump sucker in action? I would like to see how that works.
Thanks,
Tonnia
Me too!!!!!!

Old 2006-11-21, 10:56am
Missing presumed fed

There's not that much to take a picture of. It's a graphite cup with a hole in the bottom that has a piece of tubing attached. There's a perforated graphite disk inside. You cover the disk with frit and put the set-up that you want to encase on it. To encase, you get a big gather of encasing glass hot on the end of a punty and come straight down into the cup. You've got the tubing in your mouth, and at the right moment, you suck in, and it vacuums the glass in and the air out. (This is sort of an oversimplification, because you have to warm the set-up at the same time you're heating the encasing glass, which means you need to (1) have six arms; (2) have somebody else do it; or (3) be Loren Stump.)

Anyway, if someone took a picture, what you'd see would be a graphite cup with a bunch of little glass flowers sitting on a pile of frit in it. Next you'd see someone with a small hand-held torch warming up the glass flowers in the graphite cup while someone else heated a hockey puck of glass on a punty in a big torch. Next you'd see hockey-puck person, looking hot and nervous, with a piece of surgical tubing in his/her mouth, sticking the punty vertically into the graphite cup. Next we hope you'd see hockey-puck person, flushed but triumphant, lifting a ball of glass out of the graphite cup and moving it rapidly over to the torch. After that you need to switch it to another punty and add more glass to finish the bottom.
Old 2006-11-21, 11:27am
Crazy tool making guy....

How do you avoid any trapped air? I know that's what the vaccuum is for, but it is just amazing that it works that well.

-Jeff
Old 2006-11-21, 12:03pm

I make my inclusions with my National 8M torch turned down low, and oxidizing. I attach leaves with my Little torch. I also attach a clear sprue to the back of the inclusion to anchor it in the center of the chamber.

Steve
Old 2006-11-21, 3:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationToolworks View Post
How do you avoid any trapped air? I know that's what the vaccuum is for, but it is just amazing that it works that well.

-Jeff

The avoidance of air bubbles is a combination of making sure the glass is hot enough, and the floral layout is such that air cannot get trapped.
Old 2006-11-21, 6:13pm
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscove View Post
The avoidance of air bubbles is a combination of making sure the glass is hot enough, and the floral layout is such that air cannot get trapped.
Not that it has to be florals, of course. One thing I think I remember from the fog of sleep deprivation and information overload that was my Loren I class a couple of years ago was that nothing in the set up should be completely horizontal. Everything was at an angle, at least slightly, to keep air pockets from forming.
Old 2006-11-22, 9:52am

Here's looking down into the bottom of the stump sucker while being heated with the little torch

Here's Loren's setup ~ with my jellyhead

Watching Loren make the scuba diver complete with face, mask, tank and regulator was incredible!

Old 2008-09-15, 3:52pm
It's all about art.

Another tip that I learned from Loren is to NOT TOUCH your finished components with your fingers. Keep them in a tightly closed container until you are ready to do the setup. Ball flowers especially show if you handle them.

Old 2009-01-18, 10:44am
Leila Carras

Any pictures of the finished scuba one

Old 2009-01-18, 9:14pm

If I may ... add one more little tip ... make murrini stringers to use for the flower petals and leaves. It gives lots of shade variations. Make your own stamen murrini by striping and then clear encasing, striping, clear encasing (several times) them pull it into a stringer to use it for your stamens.

Oops ... one more tip ... don't forget the "3 P's" ... Patience, Practise, Perseverence

HEAVY on the Practise and I agree the Smith Little Torch has a great size flame for doing this.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!

Old 2009-01-19, 6:21am
New Grandma

The other flower that looks real cool Is use a stinger of green then take a blue rod and make small dots on it it kind of looks like a lilac or lupine it doesnt trap air because it doesnt have big gaps.

One of the love of my life.

Old 2009-01-20, 6:22pm

I loved his class. Awesome. I would love to do this again. Onlyi would like to buy a little smith torch. Along with a stump sucker. That is awesome to use. Yes it is so much fun. I would do it again. Loren Stump is the best teacher around. ONe that has more staying power that I have ever seen in one person. Just awe inspiring.

Rose Leslie
Old 2009-01-20, 6:24pm

I don't know how not to get air pockets. Only it works. Ihave my paper weight here. It doesn't have any. Just amazing to see.

Rose Leslie