Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2009-04-21, 4:55pm

Default A WordPress Blog as a Web Site

I helped a friend put together a WordPress Blog as a Web Site. We had built a conventional site, but was overwhelmed with the HTML.

I learned so much in the process, I decided to change my WebSiteTechnician site to a Blog as a Web Site too. There are thousands of nice looking WordPress Theme available, free of course.

Then I decided to write a tutorial explaining exactly how to go about doing it yourself. The Tutorial is free at my WebSiteTechnician site below.

The thing is not jazzed up with a lot of graphics, so it downloads fast. It breaks the process down into easily understood steps.

I've been through it a hundred times over the last couple weeks. I know I have misspellings, I just can't see them. Let me know.

Take a look at the tutorial and tell me what you think. Even if you are not planning a web site, you might snag this and store it away on your computer.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-21, 7:24pm

Steve,

I've snagged it for future reference! It's so kind of you to share!! I bought a domain name a few months ago, but don't have a webhost yet. (Comparing all the web hosts out there was daunting, so I gave up for awhile. I figured I should have a site before a host lol!!)

Thanks!

Mary
Old 2009-04-21, 7:27pm
Cancer SUCKS!

I would suggest Pappashop. LOVE em.

Old 2009-04-21, 7:29pm

Hi Mary,

Look the tutorial over. It might inspire you to get your site going. Even if you create a category for family photos or favorite recipes, you can modify it later to be anything you want it to be.

Steve

Old 2009-04-22, 1:00am
Beadmaking.nl

Wordpress is a fantastic tool for making websites by yourself!

This is also a helpfull link. Perhaps you can mention it in your tutorial:

http://wordpress.tv/

Old 2009-04-22, 7:23am
Button Queen

What perfect timing! I just picked out a Theme yesterday and was going to try to find some time to figure out what to do with it, as I have NO CLUE how to set it up.

Thanks!

Barbara
Old 2009-04-22, 7:27am

That's really nice of you Steve!

I use Wordpress as a blog, and I really like it. They do have some nice templates; I've always really, really liked the web sites that I've visited that use Wordpress as their "base". They're beautiful looking and easy to use (as a viewer).

Right now I'm having a total blast using my iWeb on my Mac!

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2009-04-22, 8:11pm

Hi Steve!

I'll have to check it out!

Deb, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think pappashop works with a mac.

mary
Old 2009-07-01, 7:13pm

Default Wordpress Website

I've had several websites, and have been happy with them all. However, I recently switched to a wordpress blog. My url is still the same, without the word "wordpress" or "blogspot" in the url address.

This new wordpress theme blog is really cool because it serves both as a website and blog. You can take a look at my site. There are still so many features that can be added that I don't need. You can add paypal buttons or just refer customers to an etsy shop, for example.

If you would like to see two wordpress blogs designed by a good friend of mine, Andrea with Mystic Computing, you can check out mine at jeanetteblix.com and my friend Cindy's blog at Sweetbeadstudio.com.

Just another option to think about when considering websites/blogs etc.

Jeanette
Old 2009-07-02, 8:14am
balanced but asymmetrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlix View Post
I've had several websites, and have been happy with them all. However, I recently switched to a wordpress blog. My url is still the same, without the word "wordpress" or "blogspot" in the url address.

This new wordpress theme blog is really cool because it serves both as a website and blog. You can take a look at my site. There are still so many features that can be added that I don't need. You can add paypal buttons or just refer customers to an etsy shop, for example.

If you would like to see two wordpress blogs designed by a good friend of mine, Andrea with Mystic Computing, you can check out mine at jeanetteblix.com and my friend Cindy's blog at Sweetbeadstudio.com.

Just another option to think about when considering websites/blogs etc.

Jeanette
Jeanette, does one need to have a host (monthly fees) for a blog?

Old 2009-07-02, 10:10am

Hi Gila, I am hosted through Andrea's hosting company, mystic computing. This way, if I ever need assistance, I will be working with the same person. Let me look into how much the hosting would cost. It's not much.
Jeanette
Old 2009-07-02, 7:08pm

Hi Gila, I paid $60 for the entire year for my wordpress blog through Mystic Computing. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact Andrea. No pressure! She would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Jeanette
Old 2009-07-02, 8:36pm

Thanks Jeanette~

Old 2009-07-03, 6:40am
ManBearPig

This month's issue of Web Desgner magazine had a really good article about writing Word Press themes as well....

Old 2009-07-03, 9:22am
burnin' glass just becuz

i use the wordpress.com free blogging platform. it's less customizable than the wordpress.org platform but i also don't have to worry about hosting fees, programming, maintaining the backend of my site, managing spam, hackers, etc.

it's a great option if (like me) you have very little free time. i prefer to spend it making or talking about beads rather than figuring out how to program/update a website. the only cost is the $15/yr i spend to maintain my domain name. At some point in the future i may switch to a hosted website but for now this free blog works great for me.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-07-03, 10:38am

I am really happy with my wordpress theme website. It's basically a blog and website all in one. Not only will customers be visiting your site to purchase your products, but they will be stopping by to read your journal and enjoy getting to know you. Building relationships is what business is all about
It's very easy to update my site myself and post my photos and journal entries. Though, I hired Andrea to build it for me, as I hired others to build my website.

Jeanette
Old 2009-07-03, 1:39pm

[quote=ewdb;2561358]i use the wordpress.com free blogging platform...for now this free blog works great for me.[/QUOTE

Thanks Evelyn, this just might work for me too.

Old 2009-07-04, 8:44am

If you intend to build a following, switching URLs in the future could cost you customers. At the minimum do what Evelyn recommends and get a domain name and set up a blog there. (BTW, nice site Evelyn) That seems like the most bang for your buck, $10-15 a year. The next step up is a host, which costs around $60 a year.

Domain names are another issue. How do you pick you domain name? If your domain name can contain your targeted key words, you are advantaged over others. My sites are rich with my targeted key words, but I would have been better off if I had used key words in my domain name too. Most of us are not blessed with fame, so people will not likely be searching for your name. Give it some thought. The trifecta is having your key words, business name and domain name the same.

Steve

Old 2009-07-05, 6:21am
ManBearPig

Just as an example, I've taken my Wordpress blog and edited it to match my web site:

www.cosmoglassworks.com/blog