AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-02-06, 12:39pm

Default bulk gas & hot head setup questions

Hi, I'm thinking of setting up my hothead with a bulk tank on my apartment balcony. (Its getting warmer out...) I have some questions that I'm hoping somebody here can answer! I've been working for years at a public studio where I rent torch time, but want to be able to work at home, even if i have to switch to satake.

1) Does anybody who's tried both prefer bulk (bbq tank) propane to mapp? Is it much cheaper? I've heard that bulk propane isn't all that much better than bulk mapp but that its quite a bit more expensive.

2) What do I need for this setup? I all ready have a hothead torch, but I've been using the 1# cans. Some kind of hose must be involved, what about regulators? Any other thingies?

3) I live in Portland, OR. Does anybody know suppliers for the stuff I'll need here? Obviously bulk propane is easy enough to come by, but where do you find bulk mapp? And are some suppliers preferable to others?

4) How heavy is a bbq tank of gas? Is it reasonable to haul it up stairs to a 3rd story apartment? How long do these tanks last?
Old 2007-02-06, 12:49pm
What, Me Worry?

Does your apartment allow propane BBQ Grills on the upstairs balconies? If not, then you can't have a bulk tank there either.

Me
Old 2007-02-06, 12:52pm

yes, i think so. other people have propane bbqs on balconies.
Old 2007-02-06, 5:47pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I would verify it with apt. managers... In most locations its illegal to have propane tank above ground floor....

Other information on HH use may be found here....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

A full tank of propane will weigh approximately 38 pounds... 18 pounds for container weight, 20 pounds in fuel weight...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-06, 5:56pm
Mitzy

I use a tank (and that was what I used when I was on a hh). I live in Australia, so can't speak as to cost comparison, since gas is very cheap here. The tanks are heavy. I am pretty strong, have amazing upper body strength for a 40+ woman (all those years feeding horses and lifting bales of hay, I suppose, not to mention lugging the twins around!) but I would hesitate to start up three flights of stairs with a tank and no assistance. Go somewhere and heft one before you decide. Some places here deliver and charge an extra $3 or so for stairs.
HTH. Good luck!

Old 2007-02-06, 6:52pm

Propane is cheaper than Mapp....

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-02-07, 11:53am
Ellyloo-YAH!

a bbq propane tank lasts a LONG time.
I just got mine exchanged for 21 bucks. (canadian).

Old 2007-02-07, 12:34pm
Stress Cracked

You should be aware that there is a risk involved using bulk propane with a hot head - and it is that the canister gas pressure is quite high - so if (god forbid) anything were to go wrong, there would be high pressure gas emptying into the room.
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2007-02-07, 3:55pm

thanks for the info. i'd have the tank & do the torching outside, so while i'd hate to pollute like that, at least it wouldn't be pressurized gas in the house.
Old 2007-02-08, 11:15am

I live in your area and you can get propylene ( MAPP ) at Maverick Welding Supply in Oregon City. It is not cheap though. Yesterday's quote 2/07/07 was $110.00 smallest tank. You purchase the tank with gas and return for exchange with another full tank. Called around lots of places and so far only one I can find that sells MAPP.
Old 2007-02-09, 6:15am
Striking-impared...

When I was using a HH I used the bulk tank w/ propane with no problems. You don't need a regulator -- The HH is built to take tank pressure. But you do need a HH hose to go from the tank to the HH. I don't recall it being very expensive, and it was available on the standard glass websites.

Carrying the filled tank up one or more flights of stairs, hmmm. I could do one flight, but I would be resting a lot along the way!

The bulk tank did last me a long time. I'd go a month on it, but I was also using it somewhere between 20 and 30 hours a week. If you do less than that it will last much longer.

Happy torching!

Old 2007-02-09, 9:27am
birdergirl ~o~

I might wonder how neighboring balconies would feel about the fumes passing by?

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2007-02-09 at 9:27am. Reason: sp!
Old 2007-02-09, 9:55am

Is there anyone out there that keeps there tank inside? I'm thinking of going to bulk and was going to keep it in my basement. How many of you also do this?

Old 2007-02-09, 10:11am
Stress Cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbeads View Post
Is there anyone out there that keeps there tank inside? I'm thinking of going to bulk and was going to keep it in my basement. How many of you also do this?
Hopefully no one - That would be both unsafe and illegal.
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2007-02-09, 10:32am
Facebook addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
I might wonder how neighboring balconies would feel about the fumes passing by?
I don't think the fumes would be any different than a propane grill.

As far as bulk tanks, when I started on a HH, I used those 1 lb tanks about 6 times, and that was it. I then changed to a 30lb propylene tank. You don't need a regulator on it either. You will need the correct hose though.
Oh, and flame away folks. I kept my tank in my basement. Yep, did this for almost 4 years with no problems. Call me stupid, lucky, whatever.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2007-02-09, 1:14pm

The guy I am going to buy it from said that he has glass workers using them that keep them in the basement.

Old 2007-02-09, 5:57pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I hope not...Its just DUMB...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-09, 6:41pm

Um...yeah....you too can blow up your house...
Propane tanks should live OUTSIDE....you can get really long hoses...it's not that big a deal!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies