Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-11-11, 7:43pm

Default silver help please

O.K. total absolute newb here. I got some boro glass to make icicles that look like the real frozen kind not the Christmas tree kind. My sister got fixated on this and her birthday is coming up.

It is going fine and I am refining the look and adding drips 'cause nothing stays frozen long in Maryland , and like after the 15th or 20th I was kinda getting bored so I tried some silver foil and burned it right off and wanted it inside anyhow (Oh did I mention I'm on a mini cc with ng and only a 5lpm oxy con, so slow going but O.K.) So I bunched up a little fine silver wire and encased it in a glob of boro Where it promptly melted and turned bright gold (too Cool) and I pulled it out and it made a wonderfull liquid looking gold thread through the middle. Super dee duper I said, but my question is...

What is going to happen when I anneal this? If I make her 20 tommoro will they come out of the kiln in pieces? This is really my last real torch day before her birthday and she has a huge tree and will need boat loads of these so I don't want to blow it for her if someone knows that this won't work.

I really tried to keep this short. It may not show.
Everyone here has made it possible for me to set up and finaly get to work with glass, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Alison
Old 2007-11-12, 8:02am

I've never had a problem but that could be luck since I'm still a newbie. Since you're in a hurry you may want to post in the WC tech forum also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-12, 8:27am
Does it come in Purple???

I have no advice to offer as I am fairly new too but it sure does sound like a cool idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2007-11-12, 10:39am
ManBearPig

They should be fine batch annealing them. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the silver colors will intensify once they go through the kiln. I've put pieces with silver fuming (which is basically what you did) through several kiln cycles, and the color keeps intensifying.

Old 2007-11-12, 11:50am

Thank you everyone I'll give it a go and see it it works.

Alison
Old 2007-11-12, 3:08pm
Pyromaniac

pics please!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2007-11-12, 5:56pm

O.K. so the verdict is... Yup it works no problems with cracking.I put a hunk of wadded up fine silver wire on a big paddle of boro and heated the glass from the other side and folded the glass all around the silver before it melts, then melt into a ball and make 4 fins around the ball with my mashers, then heat and pull and twist. this was the way the silver showed best. but ........

That isn't what my sister was hoping for so I made the rest of them to look like the kind that fall off the roof and bean you when you are shoveling snow. no silver

I haven't learned to use our camera yet or post pictures sorry.

Thanks for the quick help. I have over 30 done for her now so I can relax a bit and worry about how many for Thanksgiving dinner and stuff like that instead.

Alison