Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-07-03, 8:04am
Student of DachZen

Default What I've made outta Brent's shorts...

I'd had my new torch for at least a couple or three weeks now, and I'd yet to drag out my box of NS boro shorts I bought from Brent last year, so I declared yesterday a "Boro Day" and finally got with it!

Here is what I've made so far. I just love the boro colors!!! Now that I have a hotter torch, I'm going to do more of this. Probably my favorite is the little perfume bottle in amber purple. The AP rose is a stopper for a bottle yet to be made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-03, 8:10am
Student of DachZen

Oh, and what IS this color? Can someone tell me? It's really yummy! It looks kind of pearly mid-green in the rod.

Old 2006-07-03, 8:12am
In search of her path....

Teresa wow ! Just beautiful! your vessels! Nummy num num num! I wish I could make vessels Im working on it but I still really stink lol

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-07-03, 8:15am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by adovbs
Oh, and what IS this color? Can someone tell me? It's really yummy! It looks kind of pearly mid-green in the rod.

Looks like GA Spring Luster possibly...

Old 2006-07-03, 8:18am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Looks like GA Spring Luster possibly...
Wow, if GA has a color like this, I need to check that color out, too. I have a feeling I'm gonna be haunting the Boro vender tables at the Gathering later this month.

This came in a bag of NS shorts, though, so I'm guessing it would be a NorthStar color...what does NS have that looks kinda like this?

Old 2006-07-03, 8:19am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF-Designs
Teresa wow ! Just beautiful! your vessels! Nummy num num num! I wish I could make vessels Im working on it but I still really stink lol
Thanks, Karin!!!

Yeah, vessels definitely take a lot of PPP, I've got a huge number of wonkies in my fishtank right now.

Old 2006-07-03, 8:27am
Serenity Now!

Beautiful work! LOVE the perfume bottle!!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-07-03, 8:45am

Show off.... Dang, those are really sweet vessels. Are you blowing off of a blowpipe with mandrell release or using pyrex tube? I have tried to blow a few vessels, but so far I am not that pleased with them. I always end up messing up the tops when I go to seperate them from the pyrex blow tube. Oh well, looks like more PPP is needed by me.

I have gotten that color before as well using boro shorts from smiley. Maybe it was an odd lot color, because I haven't been able to get it with any of my new NS rods. I am thinking that it was labled green exotic, but as I said none of my new green exotic works like that at all. Or maybe somehow a rod of one of the GA colors got mixed in with your shorts such as spring luster or one of the amazon colors.

Eric
Old 2006-07-03, 8:45am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by adovbs
Wow, if GA has a color like this, I need to check that color out, too. I have a feeling I'm gonna be haunting the Boro vender tables at the Gathering later this month.

This came in a bag of NS shorts, though, so I'm guessing it would be a NorthStar color...what does NS have that looks kinda like this?
I'm thinking NS Green Amber Purple possibly. Could be Green Exotic, but more likely Green Amber Purple.

Old 2006-07-03, 8:47am

I just ran down and checked in my studio, and I think maybe it is NS Intense Blue Green.
Old 2006-07-03, 9:00am
Student of DachZen

Thanks, Val and Eric!

Eric, I'm blowing on a hollow mandrel with bead release. I haven't worked my way to tubing yet, although that's on the list for this fall. I use that technique for my softglass vessels, so I stayed with it for my first real foray into boro. I figured using a new COE is hard enough, might as well cut down on the stress by sticking to what I know I can do...

I'll see if I can find a paddle of the NS Intense blue green. Judging from the name, that *could* be it - the rod is a sort of pearly green to begin with, but as soon as you touch it with flame, it gets a nice irridescent blue color which is hard to see in the photo.

I may just take tiny bits of the rods I like best with me to the Gathering and try to match them up there when I get more. I can't wait to see all the wonderful colors they are sure to have there!

Oh, and the darker vessel is a gorgeous dark garnet red with sparkles. I need to try to get a better pic of that, too. Very dramatic color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort
Show off.... Dang, those are really sweet vessels. Are you blowing off of a blowpipe with mandrell release or using pyrex tube? I have tried to blow a few vessels, but so far I am not that pleased with them. I always end up messing up the tops when I go to seperate them from the pyrex blow tube. Oh well, looks like more PPP is needed by me.

I have gotten that color before as well using boro shorts from smiley. Maybe it was an odd lot color, because I haven't been able to get it with any of my new NS rods. I am thinking that it was labled green exotic, but as I said none of my new green exotic works like that at all. Or maybe somehow a rod of one of the GA colors got mixed in with your shorts such as spring luster or one of the amazon colors.

Eric

Old 2006-07-03, 9:01am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
I'm thinking NS Green Amber Purple possibly. Could be Green Exotic, but more likely Green Amber Purple.
thanks, Chad! I'll put those on my list of colors to check on.

Old 2006-07-03, 9:01am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Okay - TOTALLY not what I was expecting from this thread.
I was thinking I was going to see maybe a quilt, or a pair of curtains - you know, something made out of BRENT'S SHORTS. I was also hoping for a bit of gossip, like how you came to posess Brent's shorts, and was Brent making his shorts available for distribution (and if he was, why are Brent's shorts wearing out so fast? Does he go down a lot of slides?).

Must be monday...
(Great vessels )
Old 2006-07-03, 9:07am
Student of DachZen

LOL, Karen! You fell into my trap - bwahahahahahah!!!!

thanks, btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy
I was thinking I was going to see maybe a quilt, or a pair of curtains - you know, something made out of BRENT'S SHORTS. I was also hoping for a bit of gossip, like how you came to posess Brent's shorts, and was Brent making his shorts available for distribution (and if he was, why are Brent's shorts wearing out so fast? Does he go down a lot of slides?).

Must be monday...
(Great vessels )

Old 2006-07-03, 9:08am

damn girl! those are all awesome!
now i wish I hadnt sold my boro oh well one of these days when I can get a big girl torch
Awesome job!
I LOVE the "i dont know what color this is" green vessel!

Old 2006-07-03, 9:13am
ManBearPig

Here are some color samples from NS's web site. These may help. Or they may just make you more confused...

Old 2006-07-03, 9:18am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Here are some color samples from NS's web site. These may help. Or they may just make you more confused...
thanks, Chad! Wow, I love all of those. Boy, am I gonna be in trouble at the Gathering.

Old 2006-07-03, 9:20am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowesky
damn girl! those are all awesome!
now i wish I hadnt sold my boro oh well one of these days when I can get a big girl torch
Awesome job!
I LOVE the "i dont know what color this is" green vessel!
thanks, Brandie! I saw you were selling off all your boro, if I'd had the cash at that time I woulda been all over it.

Oh, well, you can always get more glass and try again if you decide to, right?

Old 2006-07-03, 9:22am
Etched Metal Rocks...

Thought I was going to be the only one who wondered that...(I did use the preview thread option...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy

Must be monday...
(Great vessels )

Old 2006-07-03, 9:27am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Joolz
Thought I was going to be the only one who wondered that...(I did use the preview thread option...)
Bwahahahaha!!! *writes another mark in the air*

Old 2006-07-03, 11:14am
Type ZZZ personality

Wow Teresa!! Awesome vessels! Fantastic work!

From the sample pics it looks like NS multi to me, but what do I know!

Do you know what colors the red and tan one on the lower left are? I really love that look.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-07-03, 11:35am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
Wow Teresa!! Awesome vessels! Fantastic work!

From the sample pics it looks like NS multi to me, but what do I know!

Do you know what colors the red and tan one on the lower left are? I really love that look.
Hi Patty - no, not yet. The tan is like a light latte color in the rod, and reduces really easily to a sort of pewter-gold. The red is a sort of light brick red. I put a stripe of black between them for contrast.

Old 2006-07-03, 11:54am
boro color bender

Awesome Teresa... looks like Multi to me too. Green AP is blue in rod form... Blue moon can also yeild those colors, but it's almost black. I am so glad you got fantastic results from the shorts. It's the best deal going for boro practice.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-07-03, 12:39pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
Awesome Teresa... looks like Multi to me too. Green AP is blue in rod form... Blue moon can also yeild those colors, but it's almost black. I am so glad you got fantastic results from the shorts. It's the best deal going for boro practice.
Yup, I am definitely getting my money's worth! I'm so glad I got in on that deal you had last fall! Wait till you see the two perfume vessels I have in the kiln right now...

Old 2006-07-03, 12:43pm
needs to light the torch.

Teresa! Those are all gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

I love the title of the thread BTW

Old 2006-07-03, 2:08pm
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskerWood
Teresa! Those are all gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

I love the title of the thread BTW
thanks, Nicole!

here are the two that just came out of the kiln. I still need to make a stopper on the alien pod bottle, but the other two are ready to pack up for the Gathering.

I don't know how many more I'll get to make before I leave for Kansas City, but these sure were fun! Lots of room still for improvement, but they turned out kinda neat.

Old 2006-07-04, 11:18am
Type ZZZ personality

Where do you get those cute little stands?

I tried a couple last night and they fell off the mandrel before they were finished. I was using bead release. Guess I should try your technique of picking them up with a punty to finish the necks.

Love the pod!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-07-05, 12:28am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
Where do you get those cute little stands?
On eBay - they are "sphere" stands for semiprecious gemstone spheres. I thought they might work for perfume bottle stands, and they seem to work fine so far. I use a bit of transparent museum wax to attach the bottles so they can be removed if someone wants to.

thanks! I really liked the pod, too! I might even try to make a couple more of them. The stopper turned out interesting, I'll take a pic sometime.

Old 2006-07-23, 6:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Joolz
I was expecting something made from clothing as well