Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2010-09-01, 9:19am

The Scorpion is my next torch!
I bought a Lynx from W/W a few years ago. When I called Wally about some questions, he was so cool with me-stayed on the phone while we talked about candles, etc...I had to have it cleaned a few months later due to some weird wax stuff in my line (an hose anomaly, but quite upsetting). It did take a while to get back. But these guys are awesome.
Old 2010-09-09, 6:11am
Newb boro fanatic

My Scorpion is on it's way now! Took under 4 months

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-09, 6:33am
aka Pele's Fire

I just got notified yesterday that mine is ready to ship and will go out first of next week. What size oxycons are you using?

Terryl

On the eight day, God created fire.....he created big, big, blazing fire.
Old 2010-09-09, 3:30pm
Alaska Boro

Switched from a Cricket to the Scorpion. A huge difference.

Ran the Cricket on two 5 LPM at 9 PSI machines. Added a third 5 LPM at 9 PSI machine. These are all run into a manifold, then to the torch.

Have the four stud model and a foot pedal will be added. Also keep the oxygen on for the outer fire at all times and just turn on the propane as needed.

Good luck with your setup.
Old 2010-09-09, 8:00pm

I'm a bit stunned...I ordered a scorpion 3 weeks ago [August 18]. Even though I knew that I would not have the money in hand until late September, I thought I should get on the waiting list. Well wouldn't you know it,...I got the call this morning that my torch is ready!!!! [4 stud - standard purple]. They must be catching up on production time.

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators

Last edited by wendybritt; 2010-09-09 at 8:03pm.
Old 2010-09-11, 6:21am

Wow that is amazing I placed my order on the 20th April and have heard nothing. That is almost 5 months. I have just given up waiting.
Old 2010-09-11, 7:19am
reaction junkie

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and just got the call. Carmen, maybe you should call them and make sure they have your order request?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/
Old 2010-09-11, 7:36am

Thanks Pam.
Old 2010-09-22, 1:00am
Mad about Glass

I ordered mine early this year and just received it last week. I love it by the way!!

[url]

Old 2010-10-21, 7:09pm

I placed an order back in July for a Cheetah and just decided today to change to a Scorpion. I'm running this with a foot pedal by TCB and a Hurricane. I also got some good news as I wanted to make sure that my hurricane wouldn't breathe badly so I contact Unlimited Oxygen and me and him are going to experiment with some tanks and see what happens, which is very cool I can't wait to see the Scorpion perform.
Old 2010-11-05, 1:32pm
DSDWC

Check out the holding tank turtorial on my website. Super simple and cheap.
http://www.treycornette.com/category_23/Tutorials.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDglassart View Post
I placed an order back in July for a Cheetah and just decided today to change to a Scorpion. I'm running this with a foot pedal by TCB and a Hurricane. I also got some good news as I wanted to make sure that my hurricane wouldn't breathe badly so I contact Unlimited Oxygen and me and him are going to experiment with some tanks and see what happens, which is very cool I can't wait to see the Scorpion perform.

Old 2010-11-05, 2:19pm

I need to read that tutorial again and think about whether I want to try putting one together......because.....I got my scorpion today!!!

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2010-11-05, 4:56pm

Ohh yea, so happy, GTT called us and we are getting our scorpion set out to us, that or they felt like taking my billing info so I would stop calling them... Can't wait, the studio is coming together nicely too

Old 2011-02-04, 1:40pm
Angel's Mom

Got mine this week. Love it, love it!

I'm on Nat. gas and two 5 lpm Oxycons. It was worth the wait!
Old 2011-02-04, 1:56pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb16 View Post
Got mine this week. Love it, love it!

I'm on Nat. gas and two 5 lpm Oxycons. It was worth the wait!
Doing the same thing. Found that three concentrators was one too many and moved back to 2 for NG. With propane 3 worked just fine. The units put out 9.5 PSI at 5 LPM each. NG is at 11 WC or .4 PSI. Now trying to find a way to convince the gas company to up it to 2 PSI.

Also noticed that NS white seems to boil less with NG than it did with propane. And the outer ring is on all the time with oxygen to help cool the torch and to shape the inner flame. LPM output from both machines is set at 3-3/4 as displayed on the flow gauge. (center of ball)
Old 2011-02-05, 7:04pm
Angel's Mom

I have a question for you experienced Scorpion users: My transparent aqua has streaks of red (almost terra cotta). Is the oxygen too high, or the nat. gas?

Also, my transparents are "muddy". I did so well on day #1, but on day #2 I didn't get the settings right.

How do you set the flame? How long should the candles be? The paperwork talked about yellow candles, but mine are almost all blue, with just tips of yellow on the ends.

Thanks for any help!
Kris
Old 2011-02-06, 1:22am
Newb boro fanatic

My initial guesses would be turn down the NG, turn on the outer oxy a bit, and work further out? I like to keep my candles at about 3/8" or more too, and I tend to look at the fluffyness of the flame while setting it more than the candles... I think a neutral flame has little white (with glasses on) tips. It may be a little louder than a nortel minor...

Old 2011-02-06, 3:13am
Alaska Boro

With NG you will not see much yellow in the candles. Perhaps will have to do some measuring in the next few days and see about lengths.

Usually adjust the center flame so that it is well defined in place of fluffy. Since there is not much NG pressure (.4 PSI) turn down the NG a little and up the oxygen.

Then what works on my end is to turn on the oxygen for the outer ring. Now add a little NG to the outer ring. And bring up the oxygen to firm up the outer flame. Add more NG/oxygen as needed.

Usually set both sets of candles to be the same length, by adjusting the NG and oxygen for both inner and outer. However, usually do most of the adjusting on the outer, once the inner is set. Both inner and outer flames are well defined and not fluffy.

When finished, turn off the NG to the outer but keep the oxygen on. When you need more heat add NG and do not adjust the oxygen on the outer.

This setup is using a pair of 5 LPM at 9.5 PSI machines and a four stud Scorpion.

Seems to work for my application. Perhaps there are other suggestions.