No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-17, 5:50am

Unhappy encasing cracking

Hi,
I've been working on some beads this last week that are a base of opaque blue, turquoise moretti or cim celadon encased with clear vetrofond, Lauscha or Reichenbach. 90% of the beads are cracking when they come out the kiln. I'm putting them in straight from the torch and last night I annealed them all in my Lauscha programme that has a really slow ramp down. SOme aren't cracking but there doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can see to iy. Does anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-17, 6:06am
Life is change. Love it

I have no luck encasing with Lauscha, and some of my encased CIM colours have cracked before. I've never used Reich to encase as I don't have any 104. If I were you, I'd carefully seperate my clear encasing glass, and do an experimental bead with each one, that way you may see a pattern.

Or you could encase with R4, I use this on 'temperamental' colours like silver glass, and have never had a crack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-09-17, 6:06am

I should re phrase that question. Can CIM celadon be encased with any of the 3 clears I mentioned? Can the moretti blue and turq be encased with any of these clears. What annealing schedule should work for these glasses? All other encasings I've done are coming out OK. I've wasted so much time and effort on these I'm really fed up...

Old 2007-09-17, 6:10am

Thanks Caroline, I had posted my second question before seeing your answer.I know for sure that the celadon base has cracked with all 3 clears but unusually the ones I've cooled in the blanket are still OK as they haven't been annealed yet, how weird is this???? I've taken the reichenbach out of the equation now as it seems to crack with any of the colours so it's really just the Vetrofond and Lauscha. The ones last night were manly vetrofond which is weird cause I've never had any problems with that at all even over silver etc. I have been labelling my glass but I've been doing so many experiments I've got a bit muddled about which is which bead.

Old 2007-09-17, 6:22am
I need more boro stuff

Someone told me before that some opaque/pastel colors doesn't like to be next to mandrel, it will cracked. And it's better to use transparent color first (thinly layer) next to mandrel then cover with opaque/pastel.

Old 2007-09-17, 6:50am

CIM has different annealing schedules for all of their colors. There are a couple of threads on here about it and a chart. I'm sorry I can't find it right now but take a look - do a search. The celadon doesn't like encasing, I don't think. But even if it did, your temp may be too low for it. If you're using CIM at all, you NEED the chart or you'll continue to have major issues. Sorry you're so fed up!

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-09-17, 6:51am
state-eternal change

Celadon from CIM anneals at a much higher temperature than Moretti - 1030 F. That might be part of the problem.

Old 2007-09-17, 6:54am

I had been told that only peacock green, halong bay and cirrus needed different annealing schedules and that all theothers were fine in with moretti. Is that wrong??

Old 2007-09-17, 7:08am
It's time to sparkle

There are even some Moretti colors that don't play nice when they are directly against the mandrel. Go ahead and do some tests with your CIM glass. First put the thinnest layer of clear or some other transparent as your foot against the mandrel. Build the CIM color next, then the casing. I have amazing success with this technique even when using alabaster glasses that always crack when cased.

Good luck.

Old 2007-09-17, 7:19am

thanks, i'll try that out. I will have to check my annealing schedules and make sure they are all working OK> Does everybody garage when working and then raise to anneal for 1 hour and then ramp down? I'm annealing at 520, is that too low?

Old 2007-09-17, 8:57am

520???? What? Fahrenheit or Celsius? Please tell me you mean Celsius.

And Jude Rose's advice should work - it's an excellent tip.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-09-17, 10:20am

yeah, sorry I should have mentioned I'm in the UK so we are still on the other temp system.

Old 2007-09-17, 12:42pm
Life is change. Love it

520 Celsius would be the temp I garage and anneal at.

Honestly, if you really want to encase the CIM, I'd follow Jude Rose' advice (actually, I'd probably give up and try a similar colour!)