Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-14, 11:13pm

Smile Rod Sorting/Storage idea

Everyone here has been such a wealth of inspiration and full of amazing ideas, I thought I would try to reciprocate.

I found some thin, clear, small diameter plastic tubing at Lowes/Home Depot that works great for sorting smaller quantities of glass. The tube is supposed to be for fluorescent rod storage, but cuts easily with scissors and is clear. I cut the tubing into shorter strips (about 2"-3") and use it to keep same color stringers and rods separate in the same storage slot.

It also works great for sorting rods that are being used. I did use the ice tube idea for a long time - worked GREAT - but, I kept loosing my small stringers in the deep pockets.

With the clear tubes, I can band them together, or put them in another container, and see the longer and shorter rods. As a bonus, I cut a few shorter ones, and now I don't loose my stamen stringers

The tubes are about 1.5" in diameter, which is great for keeping small numbers of rods from leaning too much, and if cut along the length, they curl in and become even narrower. I put mine in a stepped makeup display I have, but they also work great for sorting in large jars (maybe add sand to raise up the shorter ones?)

I think I might have explained it far more complicated than it is - I tend to do that - so if anyone is interested, I can post a pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is best measured not by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away~
Old 2008-03-14, 11:16pm

Pictures help us Visual Learners!!!

Thanks,

Sherena =)
Old 2008-03-14, 11:28pm

Default pics

The clear tubes are called 'tube lamp guards', and are about 6 feet long.

The pics aren't amazing, but I hope everyone gets the idea
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is best measured not by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away~
Old 2008-03-14, 11:51pm

Thanks for posting the pics, those look like it will beat the old plastic spice containers I have been using for my stringers.

--Sherena
Old 2008-03-14, 11:54pm

I've used several, and I probably have 'over sorted' my glass but, I love the versatility of the thin tubes

Old 2008-03-15, 6:21am
Crispy Critter

Great idea, thanks for the tip!

Old 2008-03-15, 7:20am
Master Procrastinator

the ones in the bottom photo look square or is it just my imagination? Those would be even better. Less wasted space.

Old 2008-03-15, 7:30am

Square would be great! I put the round tubes into a store display I happened to have. It has several stepped compartments, but the comparments themselves were too shallow to stand up the rods. When I split the tubes, they pressure fit perfectly.

Old 2008-03-16, 12:39am
Glass-aholic

This is a staples file crate (knock off $3 version) with pvc piping. I don't remember what size, but whatever fits your needs...
This is now FULL. I have 2 of these, each tube holds about 1lb of glass.
I also put wheels on the bottom so it sits under my work bench, and rolls out when i need more.
I love them!!!!

this thread has ALOT of great ideas in it!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38681

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-16, 10:51am
Sparkle Strumpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonandmain View Post
I've used several, and I probably have 'over sorted' my glass but, I love the versatility of the thin tubes
I'm not sure one can oversort, can they? Unless it slows you to a crawl when working... I've always wanted to be so organized ....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-03-16, 11:10am
It's all about the color.

Yep, that's what I use for me Effetre/Moretti rods. Lets see if I have a pix ....

My DH built me the wooden box I have them in. The front of each tube is labeled with the color.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Last edited by Listenup; 2008-03-16 at 11:13am.
Old 2008-03-16, 6:45pm
The Glass Smithy

The clear tubes sound great if they do not cost a lot.
I made a stringer holder by spliting tubing in half and mounting it at a bit of an angle. The angle keeps the stringer from falling out but yet it does not take up much space in nearly an upright position. Having the front open, one can see and access any lenght stringer. The half round shape keeps stringers from hidding in hard to get at corners.

If I were to make a new stringer holder, I would put unsplit tubes behind the split tubes to store extra full lenght stringers and use the split tubes in front for sorting/storing stringers that I am using.

Old 2008-03-16, 6:51pm
It's time to sparkle

These are really great ideas, guys. I have tidy workspace envy.