Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-03, 9:45pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB23 View Post
Oh Karen.. Brava and well put!!!
(couldn't have said it better myself! )
Hey! What's THAT supposed to mean? (I'm such a dork...I truly don't get it...but I KNOW you two are playing with me, right? )

Well, I gotta say...this surely must be easier to accomplish in CLAY than in hot glass!

They're not BAD, but I was hoping they'd be a bit better. What can I say, though, I'm a HUGE self-critic! And I was super frustrated that the pull came out short, so I only had a yield of 12 "sets" (4 Tuna Rolls and 2 California Rolls each set), but I think that if they're carefully applied and left raised, in 3-D fashion (maybe on a little "plate" type bead) they'd be pretty cute!

Here's a peek...but sadly I was losing the daylight that works so well with my camera, so these shots are crappy! And I made 2 tries on the Tuna Roll...the better one, though, kept fracturing while nipping, so if you're interested in any, it would only be the "larger center" style I'd dare offer:

California Roll and "first try" at the Tuna Roll:

California Roll and "second try" at the Tuna Roll (which came out better but wouldn't cut straight - argh! ):

And those aren't holes, I encased CiM "Cirrus" in white and in the pulled rods, it looked awesomely opaque like it would be perfect to make the rice - well, look like rice! Drats if it didn't go almost CLEAR on me!!!!

Well, there's always tomorrow...and I'm thinking I might try a "Sweet Shrimp" Murrini and maybe something else!

If you think you might like a set or two of the first group shown, lemme know and I'll list the 12 sets in my Etsy. I'll probably price 'em at $10 a set...I've kept a few to test out myself too! My whole family LOVES sushi and I might make myself a little set of "Sushi Night" beads

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-05-03, 9:47pm
Burning through glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

Hoping to post in a couple hours...
Go Deee, go deee!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2010-05-03, 9:49pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Renee...those are beautiful! If they were MINE, I'd put them on display! I couldn't DARE let anyone actually eat off them! Thanks for sharing...

And do you still have them? (WINK!)

De

Old 2010-05-03, 9:55pm
Burning through glass

Thanks De! Those two were part of a set that sold, something like a set of like 8 plates. I think I made those 5 or 6 years ago! I still have an inch or two of the original canes though...I'll have to dig them out for fun! I recall it was a bitch to cut them on the wet saw, must be why I didn't do more with them.

I made another plate for a friend who was very generous to us helping us with our cats...the plate was thanks, and really for her cats! I wonder if she let the cats eat off it! I would! Ha!

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2010-05-03 at 9:59pm.
Old 2010-05-03, 10:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooo, Renee...another beauty! I love it! And if your friend DID let the kitties eat off it, they were stylin'!!!

De

Old 2010-05-03, 10:46pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Oooo, Renee...another beauty! I love it! And if your friend DID let the kitties eat off it, they were stylin'!!!

De
De.. Renee?

You BOTH rock (and in a good way! ;}

Rachel Cat
P.S. And De? You are an even worse purrfectionist than I am! You gots scary talent! (am betting that was the scary part, Hunny

Last edited by ElementalsDesign; 2010-05-03 at 10:48pm. Reason: why, 'cause I forgot something ;}
Old 2010-05-03, 11:05pm
Super Duper

The murrini turned out quite well, definitely looks like sushi.
Old 2010-05-04, 5:50am

De, you are the ultimate murrini Queen They are brilliant.
Renee- OMG, I want one of those plates for my cat!!! He's such a precious sook, he'd love it. Cans I have dibs if you make more
ps- is sook just an Australian word?

Old 2010-05-04, 6:34am
Hobby Junkie

De- The sushi Murrini are GREAT! I like the look of your rice.

Great plates Renee! I think you need to make lots more and sell them!

Tabitha- I'm not sure of what a sook is. So my guess is "yes".

Old 2010-05-04, 7:01am
Wonderland sounds fun...

OOOOOOO oooooooooo AAAAaaahhhhh!!! :drools: The plates are gorgeous! And those murrini are even better than I thought they could be! De, are you gonna make more different styles? I'd love to see different kinds. Let me know when you are gonna put em for sale. I want, I want! HEHE!

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2010-05-04, 7:05am
Wonderland sounds fun...

Oh and De, if your gonna make sushi night beads, don't forget the ALL-Important SAKI!

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-04, 8:11am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBeth View Post
Oh and De, if your gonna make sushi night beads, don't forget the ALL-Important SAKI!
Mama's off the JUICE!

I hear 'ya on the go-with goodies, KarenBeth...my mind is working overtime on this! But I'll leave the Saki for you...I'm BETTER without it!

I'm hoping to do a Sweet Shrimp murrini today, and maybe an Egg Sushi to add some color.

Can't wait to get out there...gotta pay bills first. Of course, all work and no play...well, you know!

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. When I saw Ryan's post, I got tears of joy! Nothing quite like getting a positive comment from the Murrini Master himself!

De

Old 2010-05-04, 8:58am
Wonderland sounds fun...

ok, well THIS mama is NOT off the juice! LOL! I can do sake (just learned I spelled it wrong)! Little bottles and cups of sake are going around in my head. THIS I can do!

With De's sushi murrini and my sake, I could actually make a set of beads. Woo hoo! Hmmm... what else to add...

*+.+*

Last edited by KarenBeth; 2010-05-04 at 9:00am.
Old 2010-05-04, 9:02am
Ex-lurker

You're the bomb De - those murrinis look so good. Keep up the awesome job.....

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2010-05-04, 11:16am
Bead Imp

Awesome!! Both the murrini & fused ones!!

Old 2010-05-04, 11:58am
formerly JewelsByJenny

I love this thread! You are all so talented! I can't wait to see more

Jenny

Old 2010-05-04, 3:58pm
Moving On

OMG, I want the plates AND the murrini AND some sushi! LMK when there are sets to buy!-Gail

Old 2010-05-04, 4:45pm

Wow! De those are just amazing! Me want

Old 2010-05-04, 9:04pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks you guys and I'm also in love with Renee's plates! Wonder if she's found those slices of her Sushi Murrini (WINK - NUDGE!!!) Find 'em, girl! We're wanting your plates!

I practically CRIED for my torch today...got consumed with "life" stuff - but tomorrow a.m. as soon as I drop my girl at school, I'm on it!

Yesterday I also pulled a twistie rod that when sliced and melted should make a cute "Wasabi" dollop, and I also made a sort-of "Ginger" rosette! I'm thinking once I get the "Sweet Shrimp" and maybe the "Egg Sushi" pulled and cut, I'll offer these in sets so you can get a little of everything!

Old 2010-05-05, 1:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Sweet Shrimp anyone?

Gonna test everything on some beads this afternoon - to be sure I don't have any "explosives" hiding in there!

Old 2010-05-05, 4:06pm
Covered in glitter

Doncha hate exploding sushi? LOL I LOVE the murrini and can't wait to see the beads.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-05-05, 5:09pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

OH YUMMY!!! I can't wait until your all finished. You are SOOO teasing me!

*+.+*
Old 2010-05-06, 9:38am
Burning through glass

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my plates! I love fusing.

Ok, I dug the bad boys out....quite a contrast in size to the murrini I do now! They're "lifesize"!

They were in the pile of a bunch of other huge canes I forgot about....look at all that DIRT!!!! I haven't dug out that lot in years!

..we'll see what happens.

Custom Supplies:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2010-05-06 at 9:43am.
Old 2010-05-06, 9:39am
Burning through glass

De the shrimp are ADORABLE!!!

Custom Supplies:

&
Old 2010-05-06, 11:48am
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Reene...and what's a little dirt matter between friends anyway! Don't forget, the ENTIRE PLANET EARTH is made of it! Well, at least that's the excuse I use when my house needs a little, ahem - dusting if you know what I mean! I've been tempted to just open the front door and use the leaf blower! After all, it's only a matter of time before it sneaks 'round to the back door and creeps it's way back in, right?

I've made a few testers...taking a few snaps in a bit and will post shortly! My daughter saw them this morning when she woke up; already called "dibbs" on the smaller "sushi plate". She said they're amazingly CUTE! I luvz that girl!

I'm going to be listing some of the murrini in Etsy later too...as sets, along with snips of the Wasabi and Ginger canes

Stay tuned...

(Ya, the big tease!)
"Lil old me

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-05-06 at 12:42pm. Reason: Der...spell check! LOL!!!!
Old 2010-05-06, 1:14pm
I speak Murrini!

OK...here goes! These were "testers"; I've made up a little wearable Sushi Plate, along with a couple somewhat Avant-garde, Style Moderne versions of a Sweet Shrimp Sushi and Egg Sushi Big Hole Beads as fun accents. What 'cha think?

If you're interested in making up your own Sushi Plate, I'll be posting Sushi Murrini Kits in my Etsy shortly. They will contain the following Murrini slices as well as Wasabi and Ginger pieces. Included with each mailing will be an important "Tips Sheet" to give you assembly/application suggestions for successful beads!

Special thanks to KarenBeth for starting my mind working away and Karen Hardy whose links were very helpful in creating these murrini!

Hugs everyone...off I go to list!

De

Old 2010-05-06, 1:18pm
Growing Edge Glass

De..you are amazing...the sushi murrini are perfect!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2010-05-06, 5:31pm

De, those are SOOOOOO cool! You have become the murrini queen!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2010-05-07, 10:40am
Forever P~P~P :0)

OMG De.... Your awesome! Your cheese beads from awhile back were 1 of the reasons I started in the lampworking medium. You are an inspiration to all! Awesome job, missy!!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-05-07, 11:12am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

DE!!!!! You are friggin inSANE!!!! This is the bomb!!!!!

Damn girl - you are amazing!!!!

I'm a total sushi ho! I love the egg too, Tamago is my favorite sushi!

Quote:
OK...here goes! These were "testers"; I've made up a little wearable Sushi Plate, along with a couple somewhat Avant-garde, Style Moderne versions of a Sweet Shrimp Sushi and Egg Sushi Big Hole Beads as fun accents. What 'cha think?

De

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book