No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-17, 12:38am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Default soft glass coffee stirrers....

I want to make some for my Dad for Christmas and was wondering if it's safe to make them with soft glass? I wouldn't want them to shatter when he uses them. I was thinking of making them with twisties, will that affect their sturdiness? Thanks in advance for your help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jenny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-17, 12:58am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I personally wouldn't but mainly because I hate the idea of thin glass vigourously swirling and banging against a ceramic coffee mug. I would not like to spoil a cup of coffee if it broke.

Malcolm at Artco sells some stainless steel beadable swizzle sticks, they are nice and safe. I have some of his beadable appetizer sized forks and spoons. They are good quality.

Old 2010-12-17, 6:42am
Never give up

Just a thought, but you could use something other then glass to stirr with,and top it off with glass. The glass wouldn't even have to touch the coffee.
Old 2010-12-17, 6:52am
Cat herder

I'd go for brass (anyone use glass directly on brass?) or stainless (make a bead without release on your mandrel).
Old 2010-12-17, 1:15pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Thanks everyone, I agree that it probably isn't a good idea. I found some stainless steel swizzle sticks and coffee scoops from Karen Thomas http://www.karenthomas.us/ they have free shipping if you order by Dec 18th. I just hope they get here in time

Jenny

Old 2010-12-21, 9:37pm

I've done lots of swizzle sticks, but I use 7mm or 8mm clear boro rod then top off with a small boro marble, or make the embellishment out of the rod itself.

I would NOT make them out of a twistie, thsoe have no strength, even made out of boro, Now I might try to apply a twistie to a clear rod and melt in for strength.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2010-12-22, 4:07am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofootadv View Post
I've done lots of swizzle sticks, but I use 7mm or 8mm clear boro rod then top off with a small boro marble, or make the embellishment out of the rod itself.

I would NOT make them out of a twistie, thsoe have no strength, even made out of boro, Now I might try to apply a twistie to a clear rod and melt in for strength.
thanks - good to know

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-12-22, 6:25am

You know - just out of interest you could make one yourself and road test it - just to see!