Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-03, 12:25pm
Drawn to the Flame

Default using a propane hose for oxy?

hi all,

i have 2 concentrators i need to hook up to 1 torch.
i have a brass y valve and a brbad new set of hoses.

i was wondering if i could use both of the new hoses that are bundled together for oxygen.

is there any differnce beteen the hoses than the outside color?
are both created the same on the inside?

the propane or red hose i would be using for oxy has never been used, is comepletely clean and has never had gas run thru it.

what do you think?
or do i have to buy yet another set of hoses?

thanks,
teresa
Old 2006-10-03, 2:05pm
ManBearPig

If it still has the threaded connector on it, propane connectors are threaded backwards, so that wouldn't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-03, 2:09pm
It's time to sparkle

Hi Theresa-

I'm assuming your hoses have the threaded brass ends on them. The threads actually go counter clockwise and won't hook up to your splitter. Or they go clockwise-anyway, the point is they go opposite the oxy and you can't use them. there are most likely safety issues involved with the two hoses as well. I know there is more to them than just being different colors.

Oxy hoses are easier to find than you'd think. Buying from a glass supply place can be a pain because many refuse to sell hoses other than in sets of propane/oxy.
(I'm actually looking to just buy a propane hose alone-anyone know of a source? Arrow Springs is no dice)

Do you have a welder company anywhere near you? I went in and had them custom cut me a nice long hose with brass ends while I waited. It's fun visiting a welder shop cuz they're fascinated that we don;t actually weld with our oxy hoses.

Good luck!

Old 2006-10-03, 3:26pm
I fart diamonds

I posted in your other thread with a pic of my setup.

Old 2006-10-03, 3:43pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refined with Fire
hi all,

i have 2 concentrators i need to hook up to 1 torch.
i have a brass y valve and a brbad new set of hoses.

i was wondering if i could use both of the new hoses that are bundled together for oxygen.

is there any differnce beteen the hoses than the outside color?
are both created the same on the inside?

the propane or red hose i would be using for oxy has never been used, is comepletely clean and has never had gas run thru it.

what do you think?
or do i have to buy yet another set of hoses?

thanks,
teresa
When using welding hose...

Using RED hose for oxygen violate most common sense applications ... RED is a color reserved for fuel. Green is reserved for oxygen....

IF you need longer oxygen hose, go to welding supplier and get some barbed end connectors ( oxygen - right hand thread) and drop by local hardware store and get some clear vinyl tubing. There is no code that says oxygen has to be in green. I know it sounds like a contradiction, but it is not...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal