Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-08-16, 8:06pm

Default Czech glass question please.

I have acquired some "Weisenthal by Ornela" glass rods. The really large ones for glass blowing. There is an "old formula" and a "new formula". I cannot find any info on which is which. I did find that the "old formula" is between 97 and 99 coe. Now, I also have acquired some lamp working cane. So, I guess my question is...What is it compatible with.

I have heard the cane cane be used with 104 which I have done in the past but there is leaded and unleaded. Can I use the clear Ornela lamp working cane with the large glass blowing cane? Am I making any sense?

I'm so confused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-16, 9:19pm
honorary bead lady

I emailed them awhile back and Preciosa ornela replied Lead (composite) rods with COE 96
Leadfree rods with COE 112
Old 2013-08-16, 11:04pm

Thanks David. I just need to find out which is the lead base and which is not.

Old 2013-08-17, 6:07am
Lampworkaholic!

Cynthia - can you pull some cane and make some small test beads? With that much differential in CoE you should be able to tell what is incompatible.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-08-17, 7:29am

Yes, it looks like I am definitely going to do that Elizabeth.

Old 2013-08-17, 11:00am

Can anyone refresh my memory as to how to do the pull test? I don't remember how much curve is ok or is it no curve at all?

Thanks