Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-04-26, 7:41am
tweetysweetie

YDG & Beadman......thanks for contributing to the thread. I do check in every now and again for the latest additions and these tips, were well worth the read...
c

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-04-29, 4:59pm

Wow thank you everyone very much!
Okay, for the newbies out there like me..
Behind my touch I have 7 small tile remnants stacked up. No reaching back there and I can have my marver preheating glass murrini.
Also I stick the rods I will be using in a wire basket at an angle. The torch warms the glass while I work. No more shattering!
I dip my mandrels in the middle so I use a small liquid measuring cup it was two lips on the sides so they fit in there great and one quick turn and your done. Of coures use a spatula to scrape and return any unused release back in the bottle. MarieAnn
Old 2007-04-29, 8:08pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Here's one for silver leaf that loves to suddenly fly away when you really really don't want it to....

I place my cut square/strip of leaf down on a piece of tile (you can use whatever heat safe clean work surface you may have) and I'll lay my marvering paddle down on top of it until I'm ready to use it.

Otherwise, just one breath and the stuff flutters away.
another one for this...

quarter a piece of paper towel
wet it in the faucet, wring out til just damp still
carefully open your book of leaf
lay paper towel on top of leaf you are going to use
lift towel and VIOLA, leaf is on the toweling
AND when you use it, it "auto-marvers" the leaf into the bead b/c the wet toweling acts like a marver

just don't roll it on the papertowelling too long or you will get flamage and flying burnt paper towel!!!

(don't ask how I know...)

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2007-04-30, 6:49am

Whohoo! I have one. After I melt my short pieces back together, I've had trouble with the joint being extra shocky. So, over the weekend, I melted them back together, and stuck them in the kiln to run through an annealing cycle. No more shocky joints! The whole piece I had fused didn't fit, so the end of the rod was sticking out the bead door like my mandrels.
Old 2007-10-18, 2:26pm
Noobie

BUMP
Old 2007-10-19, 8:37am
tweetysweetie

More good tips...great to know this thread is still read periodically!
Lynda......I also take my twisties & laticinos that are on the thick and put them in the kiln for annealing, cuts down on the "shock" factor.

Old 2007-10-19, 5:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
More good tips...great to know this thread is still read periodically!
Lynda......I also take my twisties & laticinos that are on the thick and put them in the kiln for annealing, cuts down on the "shock" factor.
Ok Here is mine...
Never chew bubblegum and blow bubbles while shoving glass rods into the flame causing thermal shock.. Glass and bubblegum just dont mix.

So am I in?

StacyLynne

Old 2007-10-20, 12:15pm
tweetysweetie

lol, rotflmao!!!!!!!!!! Hey buddy! you bet your in....good to see you joining into LE.

Old 2007-10-20, 12:58pm

Default LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
lol, rotflmao!!!!!!!!!! Hey buddy! you bet your in....good to see you joining into LE.
Ok, I just had to say that... LOL I cant stop cracking up!!!! It gets me every time. StacyLynne...