No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-03, 7:13pm
Obsessed Blogger

Default Table Height at Shows

Ok, now that I'm narrowing down my table skirting requirements (thanks everyone!) I have another question...

If a standard table is around 30" (I'm guessing), what height would you raise your table to for best viewing? I've heard customers say they appreciate the higher tables. I've seen tables that are too high too..(I'm averagely short).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-08-03, 7:37pm
sunscreen me baby

Your kitchen counter is probably about 36 inches. This is a very comfortable height for most people. (no I'm not a trivia geek, I just redid my kitchen) If you are going to have things under glass you will want the top to be higher so they are looking down onto the 35 inches.

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2006-08-03 at 7:44pm.
Old 2006-08-03, 8:04pm

My favorite seller has a higher table - 43". No one has to bend over, too high for little kids to pick things up, not too high for the shorter customer AND she has great visual access which limits pilferage. She doesn't put out a lot of stuff and her presentation is all color coordinated and draws people in, they not only want to see her work but want to check out her mosaic'd mirrors and her unique displays.
Old 2006-08-03, 10:37pm
Retired to the flame

We use 12 inch risers on ours. Brings table hight to 41 inches. We use 1 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe. Once you put a table skirt around table you don't see them. I found that people lean on the tables when they are lower( shifting the display cases I made) and sometimes knocking over vases, potion bottles etc. Plus they don't have to bend over to see items in more detail. We have a few wheelchair customers, and they can still see enough to ask for the item!
Old 2006-08-04, 5:01am
phrit phreak

Heather Powers at Humble Beads has a great "how to" on her website how to raise your tables w/ PVC pipe.
http://humblebeads.com/boothdisplays.html

xoxo
Lori

Old 2006-08-04, 10:06am
Obsessed Blogger

Thanks for that link and thanks to heather for the info. I've thought about the pvc thing and the consideration that all tables are not made equal. I decided that I wouldn't have the resources to cut notches into them at shows if the tables were different than previous shows so I was shying away from that. Also, I'll be on grass for the spring Tucson show and I'm afraid they'd sink in.

Greg Chase and I talked about table height at the gathering and he said he'd seen people use bed risers. So, in my quest I found something like these:

http://www.wards.com/wards/prod_disp...pp=yes&afsrc=1

They'll raise 10" (most are only up to 6") and that sounds pretty good to me. I might have to travel with some pieces of particle board though for the grass issue.

Any thoughts?

Old 2006-08-04, 4:15pm

Default Table Height at Show

I am definitely short so I can't get my table as high as some because you can't see me. I have risers on my table as well. But I do use 1-1/2" PVC pipe and I have a hole drilled about 5 or 6" down - the hole goes all the way through the pipe. Through the hole I put a very heavy duty screw, then screw a nut bolt (not mechanical so I don't know what they are called) on the other end. Then the legs of the table rest on that. You can put more than one set of holes in case you might want the table higher or lower. This has worked out really well for me. For the Best Bead Show in Tucson I think all you need to worry about is if the ground is even.

Jackie
Old 2006-08-04, 7:18pm
Following my Dream

Lori,
You can always get caps for the pvc and that will help with the grass deal.They sell the caps right at the hardware store, that way it will be lighter and less parts to keep track of.

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-08-05, 3:13am
phrit phreak

Oh yeah..I forgot about the bed risers! Pretty slick! and that would solve alot of problems w/ "other people's tables". To use my risers I have to use 'my' tables, not the ones they supply at shows...Those you found look slick!
xoxox
lori

Old 2006-08-05, 6:28am

I cheat....I use the same 12" pvc that I store my glass in. Lift up my table have one of my DD helpers slide them over the legs. I don't do many shows so I borrow 8 from the storage and put them back when I'm done. Works Great. I use the 6' resin tables that fold in half with a carry handle. I do use a 5' table across the back that I don't raise so that I can work up cell phone charms, pendants, etc while I'm at the show.
Kay
Old 2006-08-05, 9:58pm

I use plastic bed risers I got at Bed Bath and Beyond for $9.99. They raise the table 6 inches, and have a broad and stable "cup" for the table legs to sit into. They work with all tables. I used to use PVC but had too many "surprises" with the show tables, they would often end up wobbling. The bed risers are easy to shim on uneven floors or ground.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-08-06, 3:19am
Ruri Glass Studio

I used to use PVC pipes, too. I used 1 1/2 dia. pipes in 12" lengs with smaller diameter pipes in 8" length inserted. The short pieces inside the pipes stop the legs to go all the way if the table legs are straight. But they made the table somewhat wobbly even though I used duct tape to secure. Then one time I got a table with 4"x4" square legs and couldn't use the pipes.

Now I use 6" bed risers so I don't have to worry about what kind of legs I will get. But they are heavy for air travels and shorter than I would like them to be.

If the bed risers that Lori mentioned raise 10", that would be ideal for me, but why do they have a rod sticking out on the top? Are they suppose to go inside hollow legs?
Old 2006-08-06, 5:56pm
Obsessed Blogger

You guys are good!

I'm not sure what the rod is but I got some for $18 and figured I can try and modify them to accomodate the legs...we'll see when they get here.

I saw the 6" ones and see that they accomodate wheels or legs for the bed frame. I like that but wanted higher.

I'll keep you all posted.