Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2019-04-13, 9:40am

Default What metal inclusions can I put in Boro ?

Besides fuming , what can I add to Boro ? I’ve seen stainless drill coils , and copper screen , I think that was in a Boro bead. But I was thinking like copper or brass splashed on ? Or lumped on ?
And I think I heard mica powder will just burn out and look crappy.
What will make the the Boro glittery or sparkle ?
I’ve only looked at one manufacturer of Boro , maybe another manufacturer has “glitter” or “sparkle” rod ?
Thanks a lot !

P.S. I get my first torch today. A divardi spartan. Probably not the best torch but it was only $100 as opposed to a hot head. Since I already have tanks regs and hoses for welding I figured what the hell......

P.S.S. I’m new at this , never even made a bead but I have a 1 hour session with a artist next week ......

Last edited by RINGO; 2019-04-13 at 9:44am.
Old 2019-04-14, 5:08am

There are glitter and sparkle rods available from TAG and GA (Glass Alchemy).

You can also use gilson opals (whole or crushed), modalite and some other rock type.substances. And of course there is dichro and dichro extract from CBS. Make sure to buy Coatings by Sandburg (CBS) ... others I have found to be inferior in comparison.

I believe you can use aventurine but I need to read up on the tips ... I've had no success I get it tooo hot and it goes and ugly green for me.

I've also been testing some glitter's that work with boro but aren't ready to go to market yet.

Welcome to the obsession!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-04-14, 7:41am
DaveK

Default What metal inclusions can I put in Boro ?

I put a coin in a marble once but got some cracking around the edge of the coin. I also did a brass screw. The trouble with encasing nonferrous metals is the melting point of the metals is below the melting point of glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2019-04-14, 8:01am

Northstar and Momka also have glitter/sparkle rods. Maybe some of the newer companies too but I don't know enough about them. The good news is a little goes a long way and some of them have to be mixed with clear (like Disco) before using.

I haven't used copper or brass with boro. 104, yes.

Old 2019-04-14, 9:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
There are glitter and sparkle rods available from TAG and GA (Glass Alchemy).

You can also use gilson opals (whole or crushed), modalite and some other rock type.substances. And of course there is dichro and dichro extract from CBS. Make sure to buy Coatings by Sandburg (CBS) ... others I have found to be inferior in comparison.

I believe you can use aventurine but I need to read up on the tips ... I've had no success I get it tooo hot and it goes and ugly green for me.

I've also been testing some glitter's that work with boro but aren't ready to go to market yet.

Welcome to the obsession!!
Thanks so much ! I didn’t know anyone made dichro for Boro , I heard it burns out in Boro but I’ll give it a shot along with those other two.
Thanks again so much.
Old 2019-04-14, 9:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I put a coin in a marble once but got some cracking around the edge of the coin. I also did a brass screw. The trouble with encasing nonferrous metals is the melting point of the metals is below the melting point of glass.

Yup , iron wire didn’t work in my fusing kiln with 90 bullseye glass.
Same thing , got kinda cracks.
But experiments are good right !!!
Old 2019-04-14, 9:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Northstar and Momka also have glitter/sparkle rods. Maybe some of the newer companies too but I don't know enough about them. The good news is a little goes a long way and some of them have to be mixed with clear (like Disco) before using.

Thanks for those companies, I’ll give them a shot !!
I got my torch. I still need to place a order for some tools then I can go out and burn up some glass. Looking forward to it !!
Thanks again !!
Old 2019-04-14, 9:37am
DaveK

For sure. They were just experiments. Like fuming with copper. The effect is not worth the danger.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2019-04-14, 10:51pm

Thank you in advance. I’ll scratch that one off my list of experiments. It was #3 on my list , after brass...
#1 is trying to make bubble rod....
I like the effect of bubbles in the glass.
I saw some bubble powder that is supposedly supposed to work with all coe , but I can’t remember where I saw it
Old 2019-04-15, 5:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGO View Post
Thank you in advance. I’ll scratch that one off my list of experiments. It was #3 on my list , after brass...
#1 is trying to make bubble rod....
I like the effect of bubbles in the glass.
I saw some bubble powder that is supposedly supposed to work with all coe , but I can’t remember where I saw it
Bubble powder is sold for fusing but may work with torch. I just got some from FusedGlassWarehouse they sell it by the ounce.

Baking soda works ... brass wire to make bubbles was hit or miss with me in boro.

Old 2019-04-15, 5:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post

True .. I was fixated on Sparkle (being the Magpie and all). NS and Momka have what I consider "Shimmer rods" ... it's like fine mica blended in and then their is the Disco and Steel Wool which literally to my understanding are steel wool and glass that will give you a silver shimmer color.

Gannett Glass (little glass company) also has on occassion Bonanza and Gold Rush ... shimmer rods.

Old 2019-04-15, 10:05am

Thanks magpie. I’m gonna have to give those manufacturers a try.
I’m kinda lucky. Davardi is really close but they don’t have a store front , but shipping is pretty much overnight since they are so close. TAGs manufacturing plant is about a hr drive and they have a store front. And there is a very small supply store that sells a little selection of rods , but no tools.
Haven’t even got to use my torch yet , I don’t have any tools or glass , but that order is going in some time this week. When ever I do get to use it I’ll post my very first ever attempts at this craft.
So far YouTube has been pretty cool for learning but my wife is kinda pissed cause she says I’m watching it 24/7.
She’s really gonna be pissed when I finally get some glass !
Until I actually create something she thinks is cool and then she wants it .....
Thanks for everyone else’s responses also. YouTube and this forum has helped a lot.
Old 2019-04-15, 11:29am

Standard Welding hose for acetylene when used with propane will eventually disintegrate and leak, also can clog ports in your torch. You need to get a set of "T" Grade hoses for your torch.
The oxygen hose is OK to use but it's hard to buy just the hose for propane.
Be safe and have fun.
Old 2019-04-15, 9:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper View Post
Standard Welding hose for acetylene when used with propane will eventually disintegrate and leak, also can clog ports in your torch. You need to get a set of "T" Grade hoses for your torch.
The oxygen hose is OK to use but it's hard to buy just the hose for propane.
Be safe and have fun.
Yes , I’m aware of the hose issue.
T grade hose is on the top of the on growing list of needs
Old 2019-05-12, 8:50pm

I’ve used dichroic with boro. You do have to work it careful to not burn it out but it works. I got some boro dichroic from ABR and some from Wale Apparatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2019-06-10, 10:22am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Are you looking for sparkle like this? It can be done
In any shape,but must be deeply encased.

Old 2019-07-03, 4:43pm

Careful. Just because something is holding together right now does not mean it isnt dangerously loaded with stress. Copper is the only metal that MIGHT work in significant quantities.
Old 2019-07-25, 10:29pm

Very cool coin
Old 2019-08-12, 5:26am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamgueque View Post
their trailer isnt working. But I sure would love to have them perform at our local malls Maybe they should put one of those infernal pop-ups at Amazon, too?
What is this in response to?
You can call me Dave 🎨