Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-28, 5:33am

Default Fan pulls

I am looking for a few different styles and places to purchase fan pulls that I can attach a lampwork bead to. I am tired of people asking in my booth if I carry them so it is time to make some up.....
Any advice would be helpful.
thanks

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-10-28, 5:54am

Just passing along some info I got in the bathroom here last week. If you feel like making your own, go to Amazon.com and look up Lucky Line. Product #32000 are the goldtone connectors and #32800 are the goldtone rings. They also have the ball chain and all of that comes in silver too.
It means making your own and wirewrapping the beads but the parts are very inexpensive. I got them very quickly too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-28, 6:11am

I like this one, but you have to use a bigger mandrel.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ght_pull?Args=

Kari
Old 2010-10-28, 6:51am
I fart diamonds

Heather, you can get the supplies you need at Ace Hardware. They carry brass and silver (nickel). If you need a large quantity, try Metalliferous. I haven't ordered in quite a while, but they used to have the best prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-28, 7:05am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

They have them at Hobby Lobby here in silver tone & gold tone.

Vivian

-

Old 2010-10-28, 7:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

Do GOOGLE search for "Lamp Parts", you can use almost any "ball" chain and connectors and dozens of different thing found on typical lamp parts suppliers...

As Shawnette suggests, look at local hardware stores in "lighting or electrical section to get basics on what may be available...

Only real consideration may be to use a mandrel large enough so chain can pass through hole in bead/pull....

A little back ground if you are interested....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=fan+pulls
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...82#post2847382

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-28 at 8:00am.
Old 2010-10-28, 8:19am
Lampworkaholic!

I got my lamp pull supplies from http://www.ballchain.com

Make sure you get a size chain to fit your bead holes.

I think Size 3 fits the 3/32 mandrel holes and is strong enough but double check me on that.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-29, 2:52am
the german guy

mayke them off mandrel and make a hole in the top like a pendant
Old 2010-10-29, 8:23am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I got my lamp pull supplies from http://www.ballchain.com

Make sure you get a size chain to fit your bead holes.

I think Size 3 fits the 3/32 mandrel holes and is strong enough but double check me on that.
I bought from them also. Great choices-just put bead on a head pin and use the connectors that have loop on one end. Looks great and it's very easy. You can cut the ball chain down to any size you need if you get a spool of it.

Old 2010-10-29, 11:09am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neagle View Post
I bought from them also. Great choices-just put bead on a head pin and use the connectors that have loop on one end. Looks great and it's very easy. You can cut the ball chain down to any size you need if you get a spool of it.
I wish I could learn to wire wrap nicely. Sigh. I just run the chain through my bead and use a bell thingy (technical term) on the bottom,

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-10-29, 6:27pm

Thank you all for the responses..... Checking out each one...

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. My home sprung a leak under the slab and the water started flooding my house... Why me?

Thanks again everyone!!!! I appreciate it!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-10-29, 7:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I wish I could learn to wire wrap nicely. Sigh. I just run the chain through my bead and use a bell thingy (technical term) on the bottom,
This is what I do, too; I just prefer this look, and it's really strong and simple. The only difference is that I use the ball end instead of the bell end.

Old 2010-10-29, 8:15pm
Wendy

One of the ladies at my work brought this back from New Mexico and let me photograph it. She thought I'd like the idea and said that she'd like to see one done with lampwork.

I don't know where you'd get the pieces for the top part but the wire it's on looks like it's aluminum? Anyway, thought I'd share...

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-10-30, 4:24am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeangirlnc View Post
One of the ladies at my work brought this back from New Mexico and let me photograph it. She thought I'd like the idea and said that she'd like to see one done with lampwork.

I don't know where you'd get the pieces for the top part but the wire it's on looks like it's aluminum? Anyway, thought I'd share...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
Old 2010-10-30, 5:57am
The Andrea Half

I use a threaded insert--1/4" fine threaded hext nuts in stainless steel. You have to use 2-3 of them. Get your local Ace (if you have an old-fashioned one with a service department) to thread one end of a 1/4" rod for you (make sure it is fine threaded!) and then use finial-to-fan pull adapters (or make your own). MUCH sturdier than any wire-wrapped pull.

Old 2010-11-10, 1:31pm
Redbearmountain

You can also find fan pulls at Karen Thomas beadable products. They come is gold, silver, brass, and copper I believe. They make up nice fan pulls.
Old 2010-11-10, 5:57pm

I also saw some at Karen Thomas. Also at Home Depot!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !