No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-24, 12:45am
Torchaholic ;)

Default Oxy tank filling machine?

Is there a machine I can buy that is able to fill my oxy tanks? If so what ones do you suggest?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOLLOW OUR TRAVELS IN THE MOBILE SHOP !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-08-24, 8:16am
Salt Box Beads

They are VERY DANGEROUS and most people won't consider it.

There are some threads around here somewhere about it, I will see if I can find them for you.
Old 2010-08-24, 8:39am
Torchaholic ;)

Oh .........IC dont go out of your way if its not a common thing. Trying to figure out how I will keep my oxy tanks filled while Im on the road. Does any one have a solution for that.

Old 2010-08-24, 8:44am
boro color bender

Get an account with a national oxy supplier like Airgas... maybe more than one supplier... exchange on the road.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-08-24, 9:37am
Torchaholic ;)

sweet I guess I didnt realize national suppliers existed like that thank you for advice. What other companys would be good to have contract with. My local place has name on all tanks and I rent em. Will these be the same and only want to exchange for their tanks thus making it hard to use multiple companys or can I have my own tanks and still trade em out with them and or multiple companys. If that makes any sense to yall, lol.

Old 2010-08-24, 9:44am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I own 2 oxy tanks. Bought them from Praxair years ago to save on rental fees. I called another supplier recently and he won't touch my tanks. If I want to use the new supplier I have to rent tanks from him (he won't sell them).

I always thought that propane is the flammable stuff. Why is it VERY DANGEROUS to fill oxy tanks?

Old 2010-08-24, 9:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
I always thought that propane is the flammable stuff. Why is it VERY DANGEROUS to fill oxy tanks?
Pure oxygen interacts with all sorts of things and fire can result. Example: Pure oxygen and hydrocarbon materials like grease = instant fire. You're also dealing with high pressures and connections between tanks and filling equipment. Not for the casual user. Tank filling oxygen generators are also very expensive.

Robert
Old 2010-08-24, 9:58am
Torchaholic ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
I own 2 oxy tanks. Bought them from Praxair years ago to save on rental fees. I called another supplier recently and he won't touch my tanks. If I want to use the new supplier I have to rent tanks from him (he won't sell them).

This is what Im concerned about with tanks!

Old 2010-08-24, 8:32pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

It can be dangerous to fill your own tanks, if you don't take proper precautions. If you do, then the risk can be greatly reduced.

I know of several folks on this site and on talkglass have their own tank fill systems. Here is the play by play on my system.
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...light=homefill

Many folks on this site immediately think it is too dangerous, and for them that is probably true. But if the system is well designed, properly spec'd, and properly operated, it would be the same as a welding supply company filling K tanks for their customers, except that you would bypass the welding shop and avoid transporting 2000 psi tanks in your vehicle.

Many folks here have no issues with having K tanks (or propane tanks) inside their garage near their torch station, but would never fill their own tanks. But if you think about it, the only difference between the K-tank user and the K-tank filler is basically a smal length of high pressure hose linked to a compressor between the tank and regulator. That is it. So in my mind, the user of the oxygen tank is taking almost the same risk as the filler of an oxygen tank. That being said, if you are serious about filling your own tanks, make sure that you have researched it to your satisfaction and understand what you are doing.
Old 2010-08-25, 12:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjr4484 View Post
Oh .........IC dont go out of your way if its not a common thing. Trying to figure out how I will keep my oxy tanks filled while Im on the road. Does any one have a solution for that.
I can read your question two ways:

1) I have a mobile studio in my car/truck/trailer/rv, and want a way to fill my oxygen tanks while moving from one place to another. Or,

2) I have a studio at home, and want a way to fill my oxygen tanks when I'm away from my studio.

To fill an oxygen tank, you need two things: an oxygen source, and a compressor. There are a couple of solutions out there that could work ...

* There is a small machine that is used to fill small oxygen cylinders used for medical home use. It is commonly known under the HomeFill brand name. And, like most of our oxygen concentrators, this machine has been reconditioned and repurposed for use in a glass studio. Combine this with an oxygen concentrator, you can indeed refill your oxygen tank. The problem with this system is that it takes about 36 hours to fill a standard K tank.

* Another solution is: Why do we need to fill a tank to 2200 psi? If we can build a system that can keep a tank filled to, say, 100 psi (more than most glass studios would ever need), that's all we need. There are several artists that have build their own 'on demand' 100 psi oxygen system. It consists of an oxygen source (one or more oxygen concentrators), an oxygen safe compressor, and a clean 100 psi holding tank.

If you have a mobile studio, trying to fill your oxygen tanks "while you are on the road" is probably neither safe nor practical. In addition to the continuous need for electricity, do you really want to be trying to fill 2200 psi tanks while driving?

And, on the other hand, do you really want to leave a 2200 psi system running at home, unattended?

An on-demand 100 psi system is much more reasonable, either for a home studio or a mobile studio. But, this is not an 'off the shelf' solution: you'd have to build your one. And, you'd have to pay close attention to the cleanliness of all the components in the system.

HTH

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-10-01, 10:29am
Newbie. I still suck. :)

An attended o2 filling system will just allow you to watch and be within proximity of the explosion.

An unattended o2 filling system will allow you to live.

Chances are someone will see it blow up and call the fire department if I'm away too, so that works for me. Gated communites have some benefits.

If the lines blew out the most that would happen is the tank empties through the intake and it might trip a circuit........
Old 2010-10-01, 12:06pm
Glassmangler

I'm not sure what everyone thinks is so dangerous about a pump... If you've properly secured your tanks, then the worst-case scenario of the high-pressure hosing coming loose/bursting isn't a big deal (unless you're holding the hose in your teeth at the time, I guess).

I've got a tank fill system being built right now by Jack @ Unlimited Oxygen. It is based around an (included) Hurricane generator.
Old 2010-10-02, 8:09am
Gentleman of Leisure

If its a "just a pump' and uses oils for lubrication it will be dangerous....

To pump oxygen you need a completely oil free compressor (pump) and a completely oil free storage system and plumbing...

Having a machine built by competent professional or at least somebody schooled in the dangers of assembling such a system you are fairly safe....

To start out on your own with no knowledge of what you are doing and do not understand the reactive nature of pure oxygen to petroleum products and pressure it can be a disaster....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-04 at 8:07am.
Old 2010-10-02, 12:29pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I have a built-in oxygen system. It's called my lungs and diaphram. Should I be worried about it blowing up on me? Got a natural gas stove? Ut-oh. Natural gas can naturally blow up on you, or at the very least leak and gas you to death, especially if you have a stuffed nose and can't smell it. So remove your natural gas stove and insert a wood burning stove in your kitchen - along with a carbon monoxide detector. But be careful with the detector (I know a guy that bought a $150 water filter and had a plumber install it. For 2 years the guy raved about the taste of his filtered water. Then he decided to check the filter cartridge. The plumber never put the cartridge in!) Is your oxy tank kept in your garage? Easiest way to tell if it is leaking is if all your tools start rusting (been there, done that). Easiest way to fill oxy tank? Eat two pounds of oxygen beans and then keep belching into the tank. Should take about 3 hours. Have a oxygen bean party with friends and fill your tank in under 1 hour. Hey honey, why are you dragging me away from the computer? This is serious stuff. I forgot to take my medication? You sure? I would't want to take a double dose of that mind bending stuff-you know it makes me crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Old 2010-10-03, 6:13pm
Glassmangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
If its a "just a pump' and uses oils for lubrication it will be dangerous....
I'm not talking about grabbing a sump pump, a compressor and a quart of three-in-one from Home Depot and going for it.

I'm talking about people in this thread freaking out at the very idea of a tank fill system. If you're already correctly using/storing tanked oxygen, a properly-designed tank fill system is simply not dangerous.

Is it more dangerous than a 5 LPM oxygen concentrator running a Minor? Absolutely. But that's because you're switching to tanked accelerant in giant heavy metal cannisters that can fall, break your foot, and (if you're really lucky) turn into an unguided missile if the top snaps off, not because you have a pump and some hosing...
Old 2010-10-03, 6:42pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Its really not about the dangers of having or operating a tank fill system, its about the techniques used and materials used and the quality of workmanship in assembling a system....

That is why it was discussed very through in public, a lot of ideas brought forth, many possible dangers identified and method for prevention of these dangers realized.... And the couple that were built have been safe and a success....

For instance do you feel its ok to use plumbers pipe dope to seal threads on oxygen system?

This was most comprehensive thread on project, if you read it you will understand where it all stems from....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=139654

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-10-03 at 6:54pm.
Old 2010-10-04, 6:22am
Glassmangler

Well, the OP asked "is there a machine I can buy that will fill tanks".

He didn't say "I found a concentrator in the trash, can I hook it to a pump with a garden hose if I use enough duct tape and WD-40?"

Instead of telling him "Yes, talk to Onsite or Unlimited Oxygen," everyone started telling him he was going to blow himself up. Notice the *first* freaking reply.

Since I actually know the guy, I wanted to make sure that he got a straight answer.
Old 2010-10-04, 6:48am
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Some folks that respond with doom and gloom probably have no personal experience with a tank filling machine on which to base their opinion on. There is much better info on these over at talkglass.com.
Old 2010-10-05, 2:58am

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut

metalbone thanks for your comment.
CMan
Old 2010-10-06, 11:29am

Extreme Oxygen Products has been producing tank filling systems for over 2yrs, they have tech support available for any questions or concerns. They are open m-f 7am-3pm.

FYI - One of the dangers is contamination - dirt/grease/oil + oxygen = explosion
Old 2010-10-07, 7:48pm
tweetysweetie

I bought one of the Extreme Oxygen filling systems last year via ABR imagery...I can use the generator to power a torch or hook up the compression unit and fill my own tanks. After years of high prices for K tanks, LOX tanks..waiting for weeks for them to arrive on a barge and then trucking them to my home, unloading with a fork-lift (yup, I learned to run one, just for the LOX, lol) I'm finally free of it all...as with anything be safe/take precautions.....give Paul a call at EO..he's super to deal with..

Old 2010-11-23, 12:16pm
Torchaholic ;)

I ended Up with an EX2000 but It arrived with a piece inside concentrator that was broke. Im waiting for replacement part in the mail and now I have to fix it not super pumped about that and I had to go get oxy from regular oxy place this week and not fill my own tanks. cant wait to get it working!

Old 2010-11-23, 1:51pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

I remember seeing a lot of talk on the system that fills a CLEAN tank to 100 psi or so but can't find it again. I am thinking of building such a system but would like to review the info presented. Any one know where it is?
PJH
Old 2011-10-19, 9:02pm

It is pretty easy to do and pretty safe I have been filling my own K tanks for a while now.

Old 2011-10-19, 9:49pm

This thread is almost a year old.....
Old 2012-04-11, 5:41pm

I bought the EX-2000 2 years ago..broke the first day...was just an exterior plastic part that hooks onto the outside of the condenser for the air line..they sent me the piece in the mail..ran great for 4 mo...than the belt in the compressor broke...sent me the belt in the mail. ran great for 1 yr.

Now the compressor seized up and my concentrator is smoking... it's still within warranty but I am being told By extreme oxygen..
"I spoke with Paul about your machine and it will have to be sent in for repair. The EX-2000 (Black Box) has to be sent to the factory for repair and if it is found to be a normal wear item it will not be covered under the warranty. We have found that most repairs not covered under the Factory warranty the charge is around $600.00 to fix. You will need to send it back to us. I would recommend sending it via USPS because they are usually the cheapest. Just be sure to pack it really well. "

Thanks,

Michelle

Paul Ridgeway
Extreme Oxygen Products
P.O. Box 1944
Martinsville, IN 46151
PH: 765-315-0333

REALLY!!??!! NORMAL WEAR is NOT covered? wtf is this?..if i threw it in the ocean or dropped it would it be covered....

I would like to add that I babied this machine.....rarley filled all the way...most times only 1/2 way... and maybe 2-3 tanks a week....

DO NOT BUY from EO....they rarely answer the phone, they NEVER! call back if there is an issue. I'm starting on my homefill...
Old 2012-11-26, 5:53pm

Same exact thing happened with me. They don't call back and they don't care. Don't deal with them.
Old 2012-11-30, 4:42pm

Default Holding tank is the way to go

Holding tanks or product tanks are the new wave of the future. Running a couple of oxycons thru a good compressor, into a clean 60 gal tank, pressurizing to a safe 100 psi, is the best and safest way to have plenty of o2. We have a system in the works that is much like Trey Cornette's set up. I am happy to share the info. I have a system that uses 2 or more M20s, a nice Gast oil free compressor, a dump valve and a couple one way valves and a relay switch. You supply your own tank. anything from 25 gal and up will work. No need for 2000 psi.

866-955-0200
3 year warranty & Life Time Support
PayPal address
Old 2012-12-17, 3:19pm

Im looking to get a set up to fill my D tanks at home. I have no idea where to start! Id like to find something where I can just buy everything I need from one person (not looking to build my own whip either). Im averaging about two fills a week. Id like to spend under 1000 if possible. Need something relatively easy to use and safe. Any suggestions?
Old 2016-05-23, 12:23pm

Default Holding tanks or product tanks are the new wave of the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxydoc View Post
Holding tanks or product tanks are the new wave of the future. Running a couple of oxycons thru a good compressor, into a clean 60 gal tank, pressurizing to a safe 100 psi, is the best and safest way to have plenty of o2. We have a system in the works that is much like Trey Cornette's set up. I am happy to share the info. I have a system that uses 2 or more M20s, a nice Gast oil free compressor, a dump valve and a couple one way valves and a relay switch. You supply your own tank. anything from 25 gal and up will work. No need for 2000 psi.
Yes please share the info.... especially about the relay system