Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2013-07-19, 5:29pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Lorraine,
I am wondering how you attached it to your hood. I have the one on a base and would love to hang it but it seems to me like it would be too stiff to move out of the way. I know it comes off the base but what would I use to attach to the wood hood?
Oh gosh, it is so hard to describe so I will just direct you to some pics I posted of it.''

My shield is 4 pieces. Two heavy stainless rods one screws into the base and the other one holds the shield. It has an adjustment piece that can slide completely off , it slides up and down one rod and has a twist tightner thingy?? So that I can raise or lower or swing shield around to any angle.

The base is very heavy high quality graphite. Look at my post # 150 in the the thread link below and hopefully the pics will help. I was taking the pictures at an odd angle to get up inside the box. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-19, 9:16pm

That mount is easy to find on Amazon or Ebay. Mine has a magnetic base, they are designed to support a dial indicator that checks the "run out" (side to side movement) of a spinning part.

I found it on Amazon for $23 shipped. Search for - MAGNETIC MACHINE BASE FOR DIAL INDICATOR

If you want to see what it's intended use is, search this auction on ebay... 370824286280

Last edited by Raimond; 2013-07-19 at 9:20pm.
Old 2013-07-19, 11:09pm
Salt Box Beads

it would be easy and not costly to make a base of graphite and using 1/2 inch steel rods and parts gleaned from ebay as shown above but the expensive part would be the shield.

Thanks for the ebay tip.
Old 2013-07-20, 8:41am

As I mentioned earlier, Phillips is now selling the acrylic shield material, which comes in sizes up to 18" x 24" ...

This offers the yellow Sodium filtration needed for working soft glass, and could possibly be used in conjunction with darker glass/plastic for working with boro. While not suitable for mounting on your torch, this would be quite useful for a bench shield.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978

Last edited by ArtcoInc; 2013-07-20 at 8:44am.
Old 2013-08-02, 3:39pm
Missing presumed fed

The bottom pictures in
show the base and arms of the Aura Lens shield. The base on mine is actually a little different. Mine is metal (iron, I'd assume) painted green, not graphite.

I haven't used mine in a long time. I got sick of the support rods getting in my way. (I also broke the glass in the green flip-over boro part, and when I ordered a replacement from Aura Lens, they sent me a didymium piece instead. I never got around to returning it and getting the correct one.)

I'd love to figure out a way to mount the shield so it doesn't get in my way.
Old 2013-08-02, 5:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
The bottom pictures in
show the base and arms of the Aura Lens shield. The base on mine is actually a little different. Mine is metal (iron, I'd assume) painted green, not graphite.

I haven't used mine in a long time. I got sick of the support rods getting in my way. (I also broke the glass in the green flip-over boro part, and when I ordered a replacement from Aura Lens, they sent me a didymium piece instead. I never got around to returning it and getting the correct one.)

I'd love to figure out a way to mount the shield so it doesn't get in my way.
Think hanging down from something above your head... That's what I did because I hated it on the bench!!
Old 2013-08-03, 1:25pm
Missing presumed fed

I saw the pictures of how you mounted it. That wouldn't work with my current ventilation setup, but I'm planning to re-do it, so maybe I'll do something similar to the way you mounted yours.
Old 2013-08-04, 4:09am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Quote:
That mount is easy to find on Amazon or Ebay. Mine has a magnetic base, they are designed to support a dial indicator that checks the "run out" (side to side movement) of a spinning part.

I found it on Amazon for $23 shipped. Search for - MAGNETIC MACHINE BASE FOR DIAL INDICATOR

If you want to see what it's intended use is, search this auction on ebay... 370824286280

I went and looked at these, and some of the other bench mounted solutions, and I just can't picture where I could mount one that it wouldn't get in the way of my hands. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect solution, but I think for me my first choice would be flip-up clip-ons. I thought about prescription didys, but I frequently raise mine so I can see the REAL color of the rod I'm reaching for, and I don't like the idea of leaving my eyes totally unprotected.

L-111

Old 2013-08-14, 12:46pm

I have the bench stand shield from sundance and wear prescription eyeglasses. The shield does help keep the heat off my face.