Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-29, 3:28pm
what's a senior moment ?

Don't think that will work Phill. I think the problem might be twofold. First, the rubber part that sits either equal to the barrel top or just inside it is "off" in one section. The rubber is too thick. Second, the metal cap that goes over that won't fit over that particular section. In order for me to make it work I have to pound that metal cap down with the side of my hand and believe me, it doesn't feel good. lol ! This is why I'm going to see if hubby can figure out a fix. If he can't the next thing I'm going to do is measure the tops and see if the Lortone tops will fit. If nothing works then and only then will I buy another one. We live an hours drive away from a Harbor Freight so if I have to buy one, I'll call them first to see if they have any in stock and if they do will go and personally check it out. lol !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-08-29, 3:39pm

I'd try to exchange it even if you have had it a while if it is obviously defective. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 2015-08-29, 5:50pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

what would you do if you have a vibratory tumbler?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-08-29, 7:08pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
This is very interesting. I wonder why this helps the process along ? I think I have some ultra suede so will give it a try. Thanks for the info Kathy !
Not positive why it helps, but I think it helps by keeping thing stirred up. It's easy for everything in the barrel to just stay on the bottom as the barrel goes round and round. I think the strips help to flip everything around.

Old 2015-08-30, 1:31pm

This thread is so helpful, thank-you so much for posting your results and all of the advice from the other posters too
Old 2015-08-30, 8:47pm
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
what would you do if you have a vibratory tumbler?
I believe I would do the same thing.
Old 2015-08-31, 12:19am
Feminist Killjoy

Wanted to chime in that I recently bought a Dura-Bull tumbler from Rio Grande, and I adore it. Highly recommend the double barrel unit.
Old 2015-08-31, 7:45pm

Some good ideas here. Anyone etched their beads in a vibrating tumbler??? I have both the vibrating one is always on my work bench. Another question...what about the beads with silver wire on them (melted into tiny balls)...won't those come off? I have some old beads that some of them popped off anyway so suppose I could try with those!!! On another note...any one tried polishing to a higher gloss in a tumbler with cerium oxide???

Old 2015-09-01, 3:10am
what's a senior moment ?

To answer a question or two here.
Can't exchange the tumbler cause when I tried to get the top to fit right, I left marks on it that can't be removed. lol ! Very noticable.

I might have to try the strips of ultrasuede. Thanks Kathy.

Carol, sorry but I can't answer any of your questions but have one for you. Have you used your vibrating tumbler to tumble beads ? What are your results ?

As for me. I had hubby look at my tumbler to see if he could fix and found I had put the lid on wrong so the leak happened. Will know better next time. lol ! He asked me this question: "Is there some reason you couldn't use a good jar or canister with a good fitting lid in that thing that spins the canister ?" I don't know, maybe worth looking in to. lol ! I do know the lid would have to be flush with the container.

I've been looking at replacement parts and new machines and am shocked at the prices of this stuff now. I could buy a whole new Chicago brand tumbler, on sale, with coupon at HB for same price as a Lortone replacement rubber barrel complete. No motorized part.

I have some beads that will be tumbled probably later today. Another test. lol !

Old 2015-09-01, 4:51am
Loving learning

I have a hazy memory of someone posting that they used jars from (peanut butter? Mayo?) As extra tumbling jars.
Old 2015-09-01, 11:43am

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Ba...ortone+tumbler

I find this replacement on Amazon, not too bad.

I think I paid about $40 for my Lortone back in the day. Wow, they have gone up!
Old 2015-09-01, 12:18pm
what's a senior moment ?

I think I only paid about $25.00 on sale for the one I have (Chicago brand).
That is the barrel I was referring to as the replacement part for mine. Not sure it would fit anyway.

Old 2015-09-02, 7:09am

Lortone replacement barrels are $26.79 at www.thunderbirdsupply.com. They work fine with the Chicago tumbler.

I don't see why you can't just use a jar with a tight lid. As long as it rolls!

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2015-09-02, 8:56am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
Lortone replacement barrels are $26.79 at www.thunderbirdsupply.com. They work fine with the Chicago tumbler.

I don't see why you can't just use a jar with a tight lid. As long as it rolls!
Thanks for the link Diane.
Before I buy anything, I'm going to use what I have one more time and if there's an issue again, I'll try any other container with a tight fitting lid like hubby and you all have suggested.

Old 2015-09-03, 11:33am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
I checked on this and with shipping and a "service charge" it comes to $40.00 for just the barrel. Think I'll pass. lol ! I did find out that the HF that's an hours drive from us does have the Chicago brand in stock, on sale plus can use a 20% off "coupon" and pay $36.88 with tax ! Think I'll just go pick up another one and shop around town for the day to make it worth the gas money. lol ! At least I can physically see them before I buy and make sure all is in working order.

Old 2015-09-12, 10:48am

Debbie, once upon a time I read in a post somewhere that when tumbling glass to make your own beach glass, you should burp your container every 24 hours to release the gas build up. It must be something about tumbling glass as rocks can be tumbled for a week without interruption.

I do use a drop or 2 of Dawn in my container because I read to do that. Never bothered to try without it as it works for me.

I have a Lortone tumbler and it has never leaked, however I don't ever want that to be a problem so I put my tumbler in a plastic bin (I use a Sterilite 15 quart because that's what I already had) and leave the lid off so the heat doesn't build up while tumbling. If I take a break from tumbling, I store everything in there, the tumbler, grit and soap. Since I have only made beach glass and not tumbled beads, I have not used any extra fillers.

To make holes in my beach glass, I use diamond bits from Dan Lopaki, which may be where I read about or linked to the info about burping every 24 hours. I have started to re-tumble again after drilling to soften the holes and homogenize the look.

“Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it
doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
-Elizabeth Zimmerman

Last edited by aks141; 2015-09-12 at 10:49am. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old 2015-09-14, 1:49am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks Anne for your take on this and for the info on Dan Lopaki.

I would love to see a photo of your beach glass. My husband and I were just talking about this last night. There was an segment on the weather channel about this very subject and a beach, I think it was Oregon, that had ALOT of beach glass on it from glass (& garbage) being dumped there decades ago. Like in the 1920's. This beach is LOADED with beach glass. Anyway, I have been thinking of doing my own beach glass beads since getting the tumbler.

As for the tumbler. As long as I tweak the rubber that fits around the top piece, it won't leak. I do have it sitting inside an old broiler pan now just in case. I bought a new tumbler last week with a 20% off coupon on top of it being on sale. So I'll keep the older one for maybe tumbling metal at some point I guess. I still have some silver metal clay waiting to play with. My husband said the tumblers are poorly designed tools so I told him, invent a new one that works better. lol !