Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-29, 2:06pm

Thank you,Houkje..I thought it was a ribbon of some sort.I am very bad at twisties..lol..so i think whatever i come up with will be quite amusing
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-29, 6:37pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

LOL, in my dreams I have a bead kiln, a big-girl torch and an oxy-con! One day!

Well, Francine the Fish got bumped and HENRIETTA & HARVEY HIPPO got added to the tutorial tonight if anyone is interested!
I wonder if there's a size limit on tutorials? I may be hitting it soon!

.•:*¨¨*:•.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-30 at 4:34am.
Old 2010-06-29, 7:09pm
And silence is golden

Kristina, what is Harvey made of? What a dreamy color!
Old 2010-06-29, 7:55pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Love EVERYTHING......everyone is making but how long will we keep this thread as a "Technical Input" post? Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE everything everyone is posting but at 51 pages, one would have to go through quite alot of pages to see where the technical aspect is/are..!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-06-30, 4:34am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleta View Post
Kristina, what is Harvey made of? What a dreamy color!

Hi Aleta,

I used effetre for the Hippo Tutorial, so the color is Sky Blue Opalino. If you want to use Devardi you would use Semi-Opaque Light Baby Blue. They are almost identical in color!

Here are pics of both. The Devardi is on the right

Old 2010-06-30, 4:40am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansan239s View Post
Love EVERYTHING......everyone is making but how long will we keep this thread as a "Technical Input" post? Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE everything everyone is posting but at 51 pages, one would have to go through quite a lot of pages to see where the technical aspect is/are..!!
Hi Sansan!

You sure are right - 51 pages and counting holds a lot of info! But I know for my part, I like posting together in one place since Devardi is unique.

The Devardi website has lots of videos on how to work it, but do you think we need to create a summary of points on LE? Is there anything you would like to find all in one place? I'm just curious. I know the owners read these posts so it would help them to know too I bet.
Old 2010-06-30, 4:49am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Thank you,Houkje..I thought it was a ribbon of some sort.I am very bad at twisties..lol..so i think whatever i come up with will be quite amusing
Diana... My twisties are not very good either, but I have fun trying... So when I do get a good one I know that all the trying is paying off...
Just have a go at it and show off what you did.... Please....

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-06-30, 5:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
LOL, in my dreams I have a bead kiln, a big-girl torch and an oxy-con! One day!

Well, Francine the Fish got bumped and HENRIETTA & HARVEY HIPPO got added to the tutorial tonight if anyone is interested!
I wonder if there's a size limit on tutorials? I may be hitting it soon!

Kristina.... Poor Francine, she was cute too... .. But HENRIETTA & HARVEY HIPPO are just toooo cute... I just read the tut, it is great... .. You should maybe put the tuts on your web site in PDF's ... or write a book on tuts for making critter beads, I know I would buy it... Just food for thought... Thank you for all the great tuts...

Old 2010-06-30, 5:17am

Quote:
Love EVERYTHING......everyone is making but how long will we keep this thread as a "Technical Input" post? Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE everything everyone is posting but at 51 pages, one would have to go through quite alot of pages to see where the technical aspect is/are..!!
Sandy... Yes 51, oops 53 pages is a lot of information to look through, but just look at it this way... Have you never reread a good book just for the enjoyment of the story??? Well I think this thread is about the same.. It is like a good children's book.. Lots and lots of pictures and lots and lots of good information and always worth a reread... So if we were to move I think that we would lose some of the warm fuzzy friendly feel of this thread... I like it... This is just the ramblings of a crazy old glass addict....

Old 2010-06-30, 5:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
Kristina.... You should maybe put the tuts on your web site in PDF's ... or write a book on tuts for making critter beads, I know I would buy it... Just food for thought... Thank you for all the great tuts...

Thank you... I have thought about assembling something at some point when I have a collection worth offering. Do you think PDF or book form?
Old 2010-06-30, 6:12am

Quote:
Thank you... I have thought about assembling something at some point when I have a collection worth offering. Do you think PDF or book form?
I'm a book type person, I can take that any place with me... Others like the PDF format, so they can print out the 1 tut that they are going to use... So it is hard to say which would be better... Either way I think that there would be interest in your tuts as they are well presented and easy to understand...

Old 2010-06-30, 6:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
I'm a book type person, I can take that any place with me... Others like the PDF format, so they can print out the 1 tut that they are going to use... So it is hard to say which would be better... Either way I think that there would be interest in your tuts as they are well presented and easy to understand...
Corina Tettinger's book 'Passing The Flame' was put out with a spiral binder to let you open it at the torch... that's a neat idea too.

I sure will look forward to it. Thanks so much for the encouragement.
Old 2010-06-30, 6:28am

Kristina... Please let us know when the book is ready... I just know you are going to do it...

Old 2010-06-30, 10:32am
And silence is golden

Quote:

Hi Aleta,

I used effetre for the Hippo Tutorial, so the color is Sky Blue Opalino. If you want to use Devardi you would use Semi-Opaque Light Baby Blue. They are almost identical in color!

They changed color over night. Harvey was a bit green yesterday. He must have been ill. Does the SOP Lt Baby Blue have the same translucent quality as the Sky Blue Opalino? You sure do have the Opalino mastered nicely!
Old 2010-06-30, 11:38am
Remember to keep smiling

Aleta I thought maybe it was just me...lol Harvey must have not been feeling well because he looked a bit green to me also.

kristina I would love to see you put a TUT book together you have a knack for explaining things in a very easy read.

SRA#P109

Last edited by PaulaP; 2010-06-30 at 11:38am. Reason: typo
Old 2010-06-30, 12:04pm

Kristina you should consider the book idea! I want to confirm what everyone is saying that you explain things well!
Old 2010-06-30, 12:26pm

Quote:

Hi Aleta,

Kristina... I think this is the green that Aleta is wanting to know the color of... Me too... Please...
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-30, 1:02pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Yes, I see what you mean, that is a pic taken as he was still hot from the torch before being garaged... the incandescent light and the semi-molten state made for that color! There is an effetre Opalino Nile Green that is very close to this green color. I would think it would give you something very similar!

You can see the Nile Green sample at this link half-way down the page:
http://www.chrisfisherart.com/Morett...0Chart%202.htm

I want to thank you all for encouraging me I sat today and started a workbook on making Critters! I am thinking it could be a spiral bound workbook, and people can just flip to the Critter they want to make...

I am also thinking of including pics on how to do what's needed to make them, like pulling stringer and making all sizes of dots, and so on.

What do you all think? Any other ideas for it?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-06-30 at 1:04pm.
Old 2010-06-30, 5:21pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone! 'Francine the Fish' tutorial just got posted!

Old 2010-06-30, 8:36pm

Kristina ~ I LOVE all your little critters and all the helpful information you give on using this awesome glass. A Devardi technical book or booklet would be fantastic and I would be one of the first in line to purchase one. As I stated in my post, I didn't want anyone to take me wrong, I was just wondering how a newbie would be able to decipher through the various posts to get to the technical stuff, especially at 53+ pages and counting. If not a book, maybe an edit on the first page with bullet points that state specific techniques and which page the are located on, for those who just want to jump in, keep the info and back to the torch quickly. I hope this makes sense.

But your right starlightforge, this thread is like a fun book that you'd like to go through over and over again, if only just to look at all the great pics. Sandy

Sandy

Old 2010-07-01, 4:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Sandy - that's a neat idea a flip-through tutorial book on different Devardi aspects. I could work one up from a Hothead point of view, but I don't know how it would apply to the surface torch...

How about some brainstorming everyone? If a handy reference manual were worked up, what topics-points should be covered in it?
Old 2010-07-01, 10:12am

Kristina-your fish is too cute!
Old 2010-07-01, 12:33pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hey everyone -- our first donation of BOC beads came in today! We are in business! If you have beads to donate send them to my home address. It's listed under the RAOGK for Fine Folly, or PM me!

Old 2010-07-01, 5:24pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

'NED & ELLIE TURTLE' have been posted!

Old 2010-07-01, 6:17pm

Kristina.... I've got gads of beads that could be donated for the Beads of Courage. I'll see about packaging them up and send them your ways.

Sandy

Old 2010-07-02, 4:10am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Kristina.... I've got gads of beads that could be donated for the Beads of Courage. I'll see about packaging them up and send them your ways.
Wonderful!

Send them the cheapest way you can, we have plenty of time for them to get here!
Old 2010-07-03, 12:04pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone,

I sat on the torch today and made frogs on hearts... I kept thinking of the slogan "Hop On My Heart" for the BOC collection some reason!

The big one on the left is a Purple, encased with a dark transparent purple and it's really big - almost a Pandora sized mandrel, then the Cranberry heart, and last just dark transparent purple with pink Lipstick dots on both sides. The BOC kids get a red heart or a purple heart at completion of some of their treatment programs - cancer and heart problems I think.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-07-03 at 12:07pm.
Old 2010-07-03, 3:22pm

You should make a tut on your frogs! They are so cute!
Old 2010-07-03, 3:35pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I'll be glad to work on that next. I am just now working up the Dino Tut steps. Hopefully it will be done this weekend. It was quite a challenge. That will teach me to draw something before I make it!

Old 2010-07-03, 7:13pm

Fine folly ,is that not the cutest Dino,and I really like the colors.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripz
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi