No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-13, 7:02am

Default Need help identifying enamels

Hi all,
I recently purchased a large lot that included stuff I don't recognize...manufactures I've never heard of, etc... I'll start with this, and let me apologize in advance for asking for lots of input in the near future. This is just the beginning!

I don't generally use enamels so will try to sell them in the Garage. Anything you know about them would be appreciated:

The first two photos are 4oz bags.

The following pics are enamels that are labeled "from China." Amazing colors!

Thank you!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-13, 7:07am
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Rudy, bigger pics where we can also read the labels would be great. Try adding the pics as attachments, they are not as limited in size as uploads. Hope you get a good response

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-13, 7:10am

Thanks for the advice...I don't think I've ever added pics as attachments, but I'll explore that. Yes, the upload size limits are annoying!!!!!! I will get right on that!

Old 2014-08-13, 7:17am
Against the Grain

Try going to the Thompson Enamels website and see if you can match the numbers and names with what is listed there. This will also tell you if they are for metal or glass. If they aren't listed there, they might not be enamels. The second photo looks like pixie dust to me.

Old 2014-08-13, 7:22am

the first pic with the metallic looking copper and gold looks just like the mica enamel powders I bought about 10 years ago (from Delphiglass) and actually used in fused belt buckles for a custom order - they will pretty much melt in just as they look in the wrapper

Mica powders work just like Thompson enamels but provide a little sparkle LOL. Add water and paint, then fuse or, sprinkle/roll a bead in them and melt in......

The blues, and the bright yellow look just like my Thompson enamel colors and will pretty much burn in the same color they look in the bag - the other dark colors, I don't recognize.

I use a lot of enamel powders in fusing - they work great - If you do decide to sell, I would be interested in the whole lot if the price is right

I use both metal and glass enamels for metal and glass projects...

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2014-08-13 at 7:27am.
Old 2014-08-13, 10:33am

Posted in the Garage (with improved photos).

Old 2014-08-13, 12:45pm

The first batch of colors are Bullseye powders, not enamels. COE of 90.

Check Bullseyeglass.com

Mimi
Old 2014-08-13, 1:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
The first batch of colors are Bullseye powders, not enamels. COE of 90.

Check Bullseyeglass.com

Mimi
Thanks Mimi - I checked out bullseye and the numbers are consistent - since all of my fusible glass is COE 96 - I cant use these so I am no longer interested in them.....dag nabbit!
Old 2014-08-13, 1:19pm

Thank you so much Mimi! I just checked it out. Fortunately, the person that purchased it is very familiar, but thank you for the info...helpful for future reference!

Old 2014-08-13, 1:36pm

You're welcome! Glad it helped.

Mimi
Old 2014-08-13, 2:23pm
Against the Grain

That solves the mystery of the first photo. This should solve the mystery of the second photo:

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/pixie_dust.html

Old 2014-08-13, 4:08pm

What would I do without my awesome LE friends??????? Thank you so much! I decided not to post it because I wasn't absolutely sure what it was! Now I can post in Garage!

Old 2014-08-14, 8:57am
I'm meeeeelting

The sparkley stuff is pixie dust.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves: