Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-02-18, 7:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Default KR-3 Torch

I would like to hear from someone that has tried one of these torches or owns one. I have a Mega and a HH right now. I love my HH but it isn't hot enough and I would love to be able to adjust the flame more..not size but for oxy, neutral etc.

I love my Mega but it is too hot especially for my 104, and I can't use it in the winter because it is too cold in my garage. If the KR-3 is hotter ( doesn't have to be too much hotter) than a HH and the flame is adjustable I think I might sell my concentrator and Mega and get it instead. The aquarium pump shouldn't be bothered by cold weather at all.

I use 90, 96 and 104. I like to torch slowly but do like heat when I need it, and I saw in the video clip that you can dial in a pointed hot flame in the middle of the torch. The HH was just a little too cool and the Mega is a little too hot.

geez...I sound like Goldilocks...

If anyone has input that will help me make this decision it would be much appreciated. This torch is quite a lot more expensive than my Mega. So I am not making this decision easily or quickly.
Lorraine
Old 2009-02-18, 8:14pm

That is a japanese burner made for Japanese glass which has a COE in the 120's They won't work well with the harder glass.

Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-18, 9:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Scott. I keep hearing conflicting statements about the japanese torches. I have been considering them for over a year but keep holding back due to the expense.

Some people say the KR-3 is much hotter than a HH..some people say it isn't very hot at all, but I think if you use only a HH then try the KR-3 you might happier with it than say someone that regularly uses a lynx and then tries the KR-3.

It also says it can do Bullseye...I think Iwould really like to try it.

Anyone else?? I need more INPUT!!! Whaaah...
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2009-02-18 at 9:16pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-02-18, 9:35pm

I sell the Japanese torches, including the KR-3.

The KR-3 is indeed hotter than a Hot Head. It is also hot enough to work standard soft glass, but not boro.

The Hot Head is what I call a fuel/ambient air torch. It uses the venturi effect to draw additional air into the flame, increasing the amount of oxygen available. But, there is a limit to how much additional oxygen this can add.

The KR-3 is a fuel/forced air torch. There is an air pump forcing additional air into the flame, adding more oxygen (although obviously not as much as an oxy/fuel torch).

The KR-3 has four sources of air:
* The air around the flame (all torches have this, even if we don't think of it)
* The air drawn in through the bottom of the torch via the venturi effect. There is an adjustment ring on the bottom of the torch to control this air source.
* A primary air control knob. This adjusts the primary air supply from the air pump.
* A 'center flame' air control knob. There is an additional air jet in the center of the torch, fed by the air pump, that when used, creates a hot, pinpoint 'center' flame.

Where in NorCal are you? Perhaps we could arrange to set up a demo?

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-02-18, 11:36pm
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Malcolm....going to Pm you
Lorraine