Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-04, 10:13am

Default Passionate Pink???

I'm having a tough time with this color... trying to get that deep bubble-gum pink is driving me crazy...hope I don't sound like a moron Why is my pink going transparent sometimes... and how do I get it to stay opaque and get it to that beautiful pink i'm seeing????? Shari Barry
Old 2006-12-04, 10:42am

I am not sure about the exact color, but generally pinks strike. After you have the bead formed, take it out of the flame and then you need to work it in a cooler flame to get the pink to come out. Flash it farther out in the flame.

I know that is not a great description, and much has been written about "striking color". Try a search and I am sure you will find a well written description of the process.

Good luck,
Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-05, 11:24am

Hi tymeout!
A stricking color needs for its perfect color a reduced flame with not so much oxygen. And don`t make the flame too hot when your`re working, otherwise the colour will burn out and it will become a bad looking brown or in the best case a transparent one ( Hope I was helpful and it works
Good luck,
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-05, 1:47pm

Hi again,
Thanx for the help! I think I sometimes am just not patient enough... and they were helpful reminders Shari
Old 2006-12-06, 7:16am
NW Oregon

I find Passionate Pink to be harder to work with too. I've used it with great success and then been disappointed by the next thing I use it for. Overheating does bleach out the color.

You might want to try Gelly Pink [CiM glass]. It too has to be worked a bit more slowly but if you do that, it stays a nice strong pink color.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-12-06, 7:26am

Hello J, does CiM-Glass fits with COE 104? What IS CiM? I don`t know, sorry,
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-06, 7:30am
sunscreen me baby

The Kuglar? Gosh I love that stuff. I work it hot and make sure to cool it and heat it hot again at least once. It is such a delishious striated looking shade and you can even get some purple hues if you work it long enough.

CIM is creating is messy Yes it is compatable with 104

~

Old 2006-12-06, 7:55am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
The Kuglar? Gosh I love that stuff. I work it hot and make sure to cool it and heat it hot again at least once. It is such a delishious striated looking shade and you can even get some purple hues if you work it long enough.
Guess I need to play with it again then...all I got was white with some striations of pink along the center...made me MAD!!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-06, 8:30am

Hey, it calls KUGLER not Kuglar, fritz has the wrong writing glassdiary
Old 2006-12-06, 9:05am
sunscreen me baby

I can't spell delishious, delishous, delishus either, lol.

~

Old 2006-12-06, 9:12am
Crazy Snake Lady

What I was told about striking - and it seems to work for me, form the bead completely, then let it cool until you think it might crack, bring it into the flame waaay out at the end and flash it in and out until you see the color develop.

Just another technique to try.
Old 2006-12-06, 3:41pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I can't spell delishious, delishous, delishus either, lol.
Psssst... d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. hee hee

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2006-12-06, 4:04pm
sunscreen me baby

darn soft c gets me every time

~

Old 2006-12-07, 7:44am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-diary View Post
Hello J, does CiM-Glass fits with COE 104? What IS CiM? I don`t know, sorry,
glass-diary

CiM stands for Creation is Messy. It's a glass that is being made in China. It's 104 COE and it is sold by Mike Frantz and I think also by some of the Vendors that advertise here.....LB Glass, William Thorton Glass both may carry it.

I'm going to go dig out my Passionate Pink and try again. Like Chris, I mostly ended up with white to very pale pink when I used it. The consistency of the glass also bugs me, in that it seems to be pink glass around a core of white or something. I've not liked the stringer that I pulled from it. It seems like the stringer ends up less opaque. I must REALLY be handling this glass wrong.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-12-07, 8:45am
sunscreen me baby

Here is an example of what the pink can do if you work it hot.
Attached Images

~

Old 2006-12-07, 4:38pm

There was a couple batches of this glass. The very first batch which was the original and came out last spring was very dark in the rod form and struck beautifully! ............ The new batch I got sucks! I got that batch in late summer/early fall. It is very pale in the rod form and strikes nothing like the original. I only tried it one time on a sample bead and wasn't as thrilled as with the first batch.

They may have came out with another batch since then. Not sure. So I guess it depends on when you bought it.

Here is a photo of the original and my newer batch and a photo of beads with the first batch.

This was made with the original batch. .... I will try the new stuff again and see what it does for me again.

Last edited by JoyceMI; 2006-12-07 at 4:41pm.
Old 2006-12-07, 5:47pm
sunscreen me baby

That is disappointing Joyce. I have a 1/4 pound of the new and it looks pale too. Let us know if you can get it to do anything.

~

Old 2006-12-07, 8:04pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I think I have the first batch, it looks more like the dark pink, but like Jennifer said, it is white in the middle. I might try to play with it this weekend, but it really angered me greatly the last, first, and only time I tried it.

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-08, 1:20am
Bead Maker / Instructor

I use a Nortel Minor Bench Burner and have had some of the same issues with striking colors, especially the Effetre red. (My nemisis)

I've found that I can combat the problem by working High in an oxygen-rich flame.

Good Luck!

Tim
Old 2006-12-10, 11:53am

Hello, SuzyQ and JoiceMI,

I have heard about the second batch. KUGLER tries to get the color in that way it was in the first batch. But it is very difficult to get and it will take some more time. Arrow has sold the second pale batch with the name: Pink Lady`s Slippers. But KUGLER will do the best to get the wonderful Passionate Pink, I am sure. They are so bussy for their customers... I like that stuff so much, wonderful colors and service...
WONDERFUL BEADS YOU TWO!!!
glass-diary
Old 2006-12-10, 11:55am
sunscreen me baby

Ah, then I do have some of the second batch, with a different name. Haven't tried it yet because I stocked up the first time. Thanks for the info. I do believe pink is the bane of any glassmakers existance!

~

Old 2006-12-10, 1:06pm

They have changed the second batch to pink lady slipper and they are working on getting the color they did on the first batch. It may even be back out again. They did send out some of the second batch marked passionate pink before they realized it was not the same color. I hope they get that old color soon. It is a awesome pink.
Lori
Old 2006-12-10, 2:53pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I tried it again today...I'm still hating it, but I'll try again another day...

Old 2006-12-10, 3:49pm

Thanks for the info Glass Diary and Bead Crazy.

I must have gotten mine before they changed the name. I sure hope they can get that old color again too.

I did try just a couple beads again today with the new batch aka/pink lady slipper. I'll see how they are later tonight...... I just have to get it in my head that I am using Pink Lady Slipper and not Passionate Pink and not to expect a deep pink.

Old 2006-12-10, 4:14pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Wow!!! That is a huge difference in batches! I really hope they can get the original dark pink again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyceMI View Post
There was a couple batches of this glass. The very first batch which was the original and came out last spring was very dark in the rod form and struck beautifully! ............ The new batch I got sucks! I got that batch in late summer/early fall. It is very pale in the rod form and strikes nothing like the original. I only tried it one time on a sample bead and wasn't as thrilled as with the first batch.

They may have came out with another batch since then. Not sure. So I guess it depends on when you bought it.

Here is a photo of the original and my newer batch and a photo of beads with the first batch.

This was made with the original batch. .... I will try the new stuff again and see what it does for me again.