Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-05, 8:09am
Pyromaniac

Default What do you do to keep sweat from running into your eyes while working?

...and dripping on your protective eyewear and making a general mess? I'd love to hear of your creative solutions.

I use a headband, like for tennis, but I feel like such a geek, especially if I'm torching with an audience or in a studio or something... so I was just wondering what other options there are.

Or maybe I'm the only one with this problem?

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2006-12-05, 8:27am
boro color bender

Kara should be standing next to you attending to your needs man. Wiping your brow... peeling cold grapes for you... get with the program or I'm collecting your card this weekend.

Actually, I don't sweat much when I work, so I thought I'd be funny instead of giving you an answer I don't have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-05, 8:29am
torch monkey 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Kara should be standing next to you attending to your needs man. Wiping your brow... peeling cold grapes for you...

Where oh where would I be without him? Laying face down in the gutter, with spiders and snakes crawling all over me..

Brent - are you coming to the Holiday party at R4 this coming weekend, so that I can beat you in person?

Old 2006-12-05, 8:34am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Those of us that are freezing our tushies off right now trying to torch are not sympathetic to your sweating plight

Old 2006-12-05, 8:47am

IIIIIIIIIII' m sympathetic to your sweating plight because I'm exactly the same! I sweat when I'm NOT torching, so torching makes it worse. I, too, wear a sweatband. I, too, feel like a dork and geek, but, oh well! We can't be gorgeous ALL of the time.

Seriously, I wear a sweatband, sometimes a wrist band, and always, always keep a paper towel within reach. When my glasses are fogging up because I'm sweating so much, I just pull them forward on my nose a litte, until they clear up.

I'll be curious to see what others do.

Warmly, and I do mean Warmly, Marie C
Old 2006-12-05, 9:03am

I don't have that problem right now because we cooled off big time last night! However, in the summer its a big problem. I work in an enclosed hood (Barley box type of thing) and have a 6 inch clip-on fan mounted at an outside, upper corner that blows in my face. Great cooling system on the hottest of days!
Old 2006-12-05, 9:52am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
Where oh where would I be without him? Laying face down in the gutter, with spiders and snakes crawling all over me..

Brent - are you coming to the Holiday party at R4 this coming weekend, so that I can beat you in person?

I'll be there with bells on. I can't wait to see you guys again. I'll bring the "How to be a good wife" handbook with me. Seems you need to brush up on how to treat that artiste of yours. Creating good beads is hard friggin work. He needs you now... go to him next time he's torching and provide the attention he so rightly deserves.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-12-05, 11:38am
Pyromaniac

I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this. Hmm a small fan might be just the thing to accompany my sweatband.

Brent- You're playing with fire... Literally Hopefully you survive. Hopefully you bring me boro presents! See you there either way. Unless you chicken out (>bawwwwwwk<)

Old 2006-12-05, 11:53am

Hey, I know where you are coming from! Living in hot humid Austin, Texas makes keeping cool while torching next to impossible. Heck, it just cooled down in the last week or so. Anyway, check out my avatar. I am wearing a soft piece of cotton cloth that is about the size of a baby diaper. Actually, you could probably use an old clean cloth baby diaper. Regardless, it works pretty good. I find the regular doo-rags too small, and not absorbant enough, so I can't recommend them. Plus, on some of them the dye isn't set, so after a day of working you may end up with a blue scalp and forehead. Ask me how I know about that...

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-12-05, 1:18pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers from this. Hmm a small fan might be just the thing to accompany my sweatband.

Brent- You're playing with fire... Literally Hopefully you survive. Hopefully you bring me boro presents! See you there either way. Unless you chicken out (>bawwwwwwk<)
I'll bring boro for you and the book for her. Should I include a copy of "Why your mans needs are more important!" ?

I can't wait to hang with you two again!

Old 2006-12-05, 1:27pm
torch monkey 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. mort View Post
...Actually, you could probably use an old clean cloth baby diaper...
LOL! Just picturing Chris out in the studio torching with a baby diaper on his head. ROFL! I'd so be taking photos and posting them here. Gives a whole new meaning to calling him him poopyhead. You're a funny man, Eric.

Old 2006-12-05, 2:04pm
boro color bender

OMG! Kara calls you poopyhead?!? I'm bringing you a workout video Chris... it's called "Flexing your pimp hand to the oldies!" Yeah, it's Richard Simmons.

Old 2006-12-05, 2:18pm
Carpe beadum

Sheesh! I'm freezing my winky patooties here in New England, even with a heated studio. Sweat!? Don't I just wish I could!

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2006-12-05, 2:33pm

I use a fan under my bench to keep me cool while torching... I have it blowing up under the table towards me and it usualy blows up by my face and helps to keep some of the heat off... I still sweat but not as bad.
I also keep a few towels around to wipe my ugly mug off when my glasses start top slip.

hope this helps
Gary
Old 2006-12-05, 4:47pm
boro color bender

Hannah just said I have to take all this back. She IS the boss of me, so I take it back.

Old 2006-12-05, 5:24pm
Pyromaniac

All you cold weather people: I have NOOOOoooo sympathy... I moved to Sunny Florida from free-zassin' Vermont. OTOH there is a downside as I mentioned. I think I shall try the diaper (err absorbent cotton) head wrap method...plus a strategically placed fan or 2.

Brent: Can she out-shoot you with both a pistol & a rifle? Does she know martial arts? If the answer to any of these questions is "no" maybe you should re-watch that video before bringing it to me

Old 2006-12-05, 8:41pm
boro color bender

Quote:
All you cold weather people: I have NOOOOoooo sympathy... I moved to Sunny Florida from free-zassin' Vermont. OTOH there is a downside as I mentioned. I think I shall try the diaper (err absorbent cotton) head wrap method...plus a strategically placed fan or 2.

Brent: Can she out-shoot you with both a pistol & a rifle? Does she know martial arts? If the answer to any of these questions is "no" maybe you should re-watch that video before bringing it to me
She has the snacks... and I like snacks!

Old 2006-12-05, 8:46pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
...and dripping on your protective eyewear and making a general mess? I'd love to hear of your creative solutions.

I use a headband, like for tennis, but I feel like such a geek, especially if I'm torching with an audience or in a studio or something... so I was just wondering what other options there are.

Or maybe I'm the only one with this problem?
Until you have to deal with "boob sweat", I have absolutely NO sympathy!!!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-05, 8:51pm
Life is change. Love it

A couple of years ago my DH was re-shingling our roof in brutally hot weather. He didn't have a sweatband so he used one of my pantiliners under a silk scarf - where was my camera when I needed it!

Old 2006-12-05, 9:30pm
Still makin' flowers...

Brent: You're going DOWN, boyfriend! Heh. Literally.
Ever hear of a play called "Lysistrata?"
I can hold out way longer than you can.

Chris: Um, nope, no answers for you. Boob sweat sucks, though. I'll have my cabana boy lick it off. Um, maybe one of the mods should censor me now.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2006-12-05, 9:42pm
Entropy increasing....

This is not an problem I have experienced.

My glasses fog up. That's my problem.
Old 2006-12-05, 10:07pm
torch monkey 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahRachel View Post
Boob sweat sucks, though.
omg.. tell me abou tit!

I wish they made sweat bands for under our boobs. for now, all I can do is hoist the puppies and stand in front of the fan for a few minutes, it's like heaven. I do sometimes tuck my shirt up under them but it looks seriously weird lol.

Carolyn LOL!! Now that's a memory to cherish (read as hold over his head) for years to come!!

Last edited by Kara; 2006-12-05 at 10:11pm.
Old 2006-12-06, 12:03am

I have a great little tip for the glasses fogging up. Spray a dab of shaving cream on the inside lens of your glasses and rub it in really good. It will keep your glasses from fogging up and it also works in the bathroom to keep your mirror from fogging up from the shower. Works killer!

I'm in Denver, its cold here but I get the sweat rollin when I'm torchin boro, even with my 35' degree make up air blowin on by me.

Marilyn
Old 2006-12-06, 5:04am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
You think man parts don't sweat and get sticky and uncomfortable? Well they do. Us manly manflower men just deal with it as it doesn't affect function, it's merely uncomfortable, unlike sweat in the eyes which makes it difficult to see our work...

On the other hand, I LOVE dealing with boob sweat... Yummmmm! Under other circumstances I'd invite anyone who needs help dealing with it to give me a call

Old 2006-12-06, 7:12am
boro color bender

If this thread gets any better, I'll have to move it to the bedroom.

Old 2006-12-06, 7:16am
sunscreen me baby

I horrify my children by wearing the rolled bandana across the forehead and tied to my ponytail look I perfected in the 80's flashdance days

~

Old 2006-12-06, 8:35am
First star on the right..

Quote:

Vermont! PFFFT! Lightweight. (grin) Try Alaska.. I havent sweated since moving here... BUT...........In Southern Cal.. I used a baseball cap.... On backward so I was cool of course

Old 2006-12-06, 8:44am
torch monkey 4 life

Yo Adrian!! I would insist on a camo bandana and a bandolier.

Old 2006-12-06, 10:15am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessKay View Post
Vermont! PFFFT! Lightweight. (grin) Try Alaska.. I havent sweated since moving here...
Good Lord... No thanks! Like I said... I moved to FL for a REASON. Don't get me wrong, I love winter. It's so nice to visit and gloat

Old 2006-12-06, 12:47pm

The double danger is a hot flash happening when on the flame....geez....and actually, that's a trifecta too since that entails boob sweat too! lol I use a small fan behind me from across the room. It blows in front of my fresh air makeup and behind me and up my vent system. It does keep the flashes down, but on big beads, it's gonna be hot no matter what....my headbands make my head hurt from being tight, or wet...and Eric, yup, l know what you mean about colors bleeding. I was a certified "SMurf" in blue forehead regalia one day. Well, at least the kids liked it.

Kristy