Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-22, 9:36am

Default What type of tool makes those cute little smiles on "people" beads?

I hope you know what I mean, I was just looking at Lezlie's CK snowmen, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CK-Lampwork-...item4d080f1168

Maybe I'm wrong in assuming this is a tool? Is it a leather working tool or a woodworkers tool? Anyone know?
Old 2012-12-22, 9:41am
Sucks at being nice

My guess would be tungsten pick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-22, 10:05am
Jacqueline Parkes

Not sure how they do it but that bead is awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-22, 12:56pm

I use a turkey trusser. If you google images 'turkey trussing needle' you can see the kind I mean. It's got a round loop at one end and the other end is pointed. Usually they come with the turkey baster package at dollar stores. They are my most used tool. The loop is fine for starting a mouth and the other pointy end is good for pushing it up to the cheeks.

Old 2012-12-22, 1:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I use a turkey trusser. If you google images 'turkey trussing needle' you can see the kind I mean. It's got a round loop at one end and the other end is pointed. Usually they come with the turkey baster package at dollar stores. They are my most used tool. The loop is fine for starting a mouth and the other pointy end is good for pushing it up to the cheeks.

Great idea. But, if you google "turkey trusser" as I did, it's very confusing.
Old 2012-12-22, 2:05pm
Capp'in Fool

I use a small u shaped knife from a cheap wood carving set.

Old 2012-12-22, 2:18pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_Renee View Post
I use a small u shaped knife from a cheap wood carving set.
it's called a gouge
Old 2012-12-22, 2:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixton View Post
Great idea. But, if you google "turkey trusser" as I did, it's very confusing.
I agree, which is why I mentioned the other. I guess it's called different things in different places. They come with every turkey baster I've ever bought and I never used either on a turkey.lol

Old 2012-12-22, 2:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You can also bend a thick piece of brass around something round and then push it into the end of one of those exacto knife razor holders.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-12-22, 3:04pm

I bought a stainless cuticle pusher at the beauty supply. One end has a large smile and the other a small one. Works perfect every time.
Old 2012-12-22, 3:43pm

I have a tool used for eating crab. It has two prongs on one end & a shovel/scoop thingy on the other end.

Old 2012-12-22, 4:34pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I made one from brass tubing. Hold on, I'll go take a picture.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-12-22, 5:16pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356221710.875070.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  38.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356221747.401597.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  32.5 KB

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-12-22, 5:45pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Hmmmm. Not sure why it did double photos...

*f

Old 2012-12-22, 9:36pm

thanks everyone. I should be able to find something. Lori, I've noticed cute smiles like this on your things, great to see your tool Thanks for posting!
Old 2012-12-24, 8:29pm

brass tubing, jewelers saw, needle nose pliers... the rest is a secret
Old 2012-12-24, 8:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbeads View Post
brass tubing, jewelers saw, needle nose pliers... the rest is a secret