Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-06, 10:02pm
Authentic WI Cheesehead

Default Glass Rods in flight carry on?

Hi All:

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if it would be ok to pack glass rods in my carry-on bag for an airline flight?

Thanks for your input!
Old 2009-05-06, 11:02pm

I kind of doubt it...you'll probably lose them! It would be best to check them in.
Shauna
Old 2009-05-06, 11:35pm
><>

They're sharp like a knife so, no, it wouldn't be OK.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2009-05-07, 12:14am
Authentic WI Cheesehead

That's what I'm thinking, but wanted to ask others for input. Thanks for replying!
Old 2009-05-07, 12:49am

I traveled with them on an international flight last summer. They looked at them going through security, but let me keep them.
Old 2009-05-07, 1:15am
picking Job's Tears

I had mine rather carefully examined at SFO in March, but they let me keep it - I had already been sent back once for a 1" pocket knife -. The guy unwrapped it rather carefully, I had told him it's glass, and rewrapped it also rather carefully. It may have helped that I was wearing earrings with lampwork beads which I showed to him.

I'd check it in the next time, just in case.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-05-07, 1:17am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Greco View Post
I traveled with them on an international flight last summer. They looked at them going through security, but let me keep them.
What airline? I'd like to know so I don't fly with them.
Seriously, a glass rod is a weapon.
You could cut someone with it easily.
I wouldn't chance losing them. BTJM.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2009-05-07, 4:13am

I carried glass rods on a Virgin flight from Japan. Airport security xrayed them and told me they thought i was carrying a iron bar, but once I unwrapped and showed them what I was carrying it was ok.
Old 2009-05-07, 4:18am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
What airline? I'd like to know so I don't fly with them.
Seriously, a glass rod is a weapon.
You could cut someone with it easily.
I wouldn't chance losing them. BTJM.
The airlines don't do the security checks. Airport security does.

Old 2009-05-07, 6:55am

I have done it several times both international and domestic. The best way I have found to do it for 5 pounds or so is to get one of the plastic welding rod holders and put them in there and pad it with some bubble wrap. I have gone through Dallas, LAX, Sidney, London Heathrow, Copenhagen, RDU, and Canberra security with no problems. Only one of them even looked inside. Most asked what they were for but had no problems.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-05-07, 7:03am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I've carried cut and foiled pieces (some were almost dagger shaped!) in my carry on for a stained glass panel. I checked with TSA and they said there was no ruling about glass, but I should wrap it all in clear wrap and tell the TSA agent I needed "special assistance" when I went through security. Had no problems whatsoever.
Old 2009-05-07, 7:24am
A True Woofer

I usually pack my rods in my luggage. If you surround them well with clothes, they don't break.

Old 2009-05-07, 10:34am
Lampworkaholic!

You can fly with knitting needles in your carry on. Glass cane shouldn't be a problem.

I did get hassled in Paris for the wire nippers I had in my jewelry supply box - but they let me keep them after I explained what i used them for.

Next time I will just plan to nip my wires with a nail clipper. You can carry those on.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-07, 4:49pm
Mary Lockwood

I was taking some large diameter clear rods to a class I was teaching once. I think it was when I went to North Carolina (but I might be wrong) and they did confiscate them. Keep in mind though, they were the size of billy clubs and actually could have done damage to someone if I had that intention. I was just sick over it though. All that good clear lost forever.

I think if they had been normal sized rods, they wouldn't have said anything about them.

Old 2009-05-07, 7:42pm
Ex-lurker

I just recently did a stained glass job in NC and had to bring everything with me. One of my students works for an airline and had me scared, so I put the cut glass in my checked bag (and it was 8 1/2 pounds overweight - but they let me slide). When I went through security (TSA) I asked them and they said that as long as it wasn't a knife it was fine.

If you ever need to call to see if something can go through or not, you need to check with TSA and NOT the airlines like Shawnette said. In fact, that's what the TSA guy told me - they are the ones that know.......

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2009-05-07, 8:06pm
Unmedicated since '62

last time i came out of china i got pulled up for 6 pairs of chain nose pliers - for god sake man! what was i going to use them for, adjusting the bomb wireing?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-05-07, 9:08pm

I wonder what the hell they do with the items they confiscate? Throw the items away or do they take home doggy bags full of stuff?

Lynx, Midrange, Scorpion Regalia Oxycon
Old 2009-05-08, 3:45am
BeadsonCypress

I saw an auction on barrels of knives and scissors a while ago!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator