Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-05-01, 9:03am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you Tom, Yes, I do remember that from my interior design classes.

Inside I have an Ott light that gives me true color on the work bench and no overhead lights.

I will have two sky lights that should be enough for overhead for any of the other things I do in the studio.
Old 2011-05-01, 9:39pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Lorraine, didn't you have your studio in a horse trailer? What happened to that? I really liked that layout. Since we moved to FL, I bought a 12' x 24' metal building with wood framing inside. I insulated between the studs and sheet rocked, then put the styrofoam sheeting with the aluminum on one side on the ceiling. We built a wall about 8', with an interior door, from the 6' x 6' roll up door and that will be my kiln room and my fusing and stained glass storage area. I added 2 huge windows on the north and west sides of the building, and put in kitchen base cabinets with a fold down 4 x 8 foot work table for storage and stained glass work on the north and west walls. Got a lazy Susan cabinet in the NW corner. We put a "given to me" a/c in the wall we built and put in a 5' cabinet with drawers and shelves for my grinder/saw/wet area (south wall). On the east wall, Where my torch area is, I put a run of wall kitchen cabinets on the floor topped with 3/4" plywood, covered with stainless steel sheeting, glass rod storage underneath with gutter down spouts cut to size, and a sink and drying area. I haven't painted any of the walls yet and might not at all...they are white Sheetrock. I'm going to get those interlocking anti fatigue mats in primary colors and cover the floor for color, and hang some of my stained glass from the ceiling so the light will hit them. I'll probably put up some posters or some of my paintings on the walls away from the torch area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-05-01, 11:59pm
Salt Box Beads

Hey Tillie, Yes, we did! But I got tired of having it in the driveway. We were going to sell our home and move into an RV and sold a lot of stuff and put most of our things into storage and then our home went from 265,000 to 155,000.

So we just decided to hunker down here. Our home is paid for and taxes are low so we will just have to make the best of it. My horse trailer went to a very nice home and two beautiful horses get to go over to the ocean and do trails rides now.

I have also wanted to have a studio on the patio. So we bought DH his shed and next we get to buy mine.

Your studio sounds TERRIFIC. I like all of the ideas you have done with it. Isn't it nice to have a studio? Any pics?
Old 2011-05-02, 12:33pm

As our kids head out, I get more and more spaces where my studio could wind up eventuall, but it works where it is tight now in the walkout basement
Old 2011-05-05, 5:17pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I tried to document from the day it was delivered until it was completely finished, but it's not quite done yet. It's done enough to work in, but not finished. I'm doing a free form backsplash on the wet area with pieces of tiles left over from the tile we put on the downstairs floors. I'll try to get some photos posted when I get my glass all put up, and my torch hooked up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-05-05, 7:12pm
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
My workspace has concrete walls (it's a converted carriage house/garage) and I am constantly wishing I'd painted them white before moving everything in.
Mine too, except it's my basement. Gray works for me, but I am a man, and I have no ability to determine what colors look good.

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-05-06, 8:40am
Mr Brutus RIP

When we first moved here almost a year ago I set up a space in the garage. But then our son who had been deployed came back to a cheatin wife so he moved in here, got divorced and pretty much took over the garage, he's into mini trucks!
SO, we bought me a shedio! hehehehe......... great son!! LOL
It is one of the smithbuilt, and its built locally. We had it delivered and ive been recycling the drywall from the garage into my shed. I put in insulation, and have it about 1/2 way drywalled. But then I got anxious to get back to the torch so dh set up my table and vent system and now I just sit there looking at it for a moment, thinking I should work on it but then all that pretty sparklie glass steals me away!! LOL
I do plan on a checkerboard black and white floor and I have some cute orange boxes from ikea that i keep small supplies in on white shelves......I figured the walls a light orange so, black white and orange. some day! I hate drywalling, mudding, painting......anyone want to come help??

Heres just after delivery and already starting on it and the next is trying to get my work area done first........
Attached Images

Old 2011-05-10, 8:17am
Salt Box Beads

Well, after having to buy two metal sheds yesterday just so we can get things out of a huge storage ( 15 X 25) unit we just can't afford to keep paying for, I just didn't have enough money to buy the wood shed I wanted.

So I did a lot of research and bought this one. No painting needed. I can insulate it easily and we can utilize the windows for exhaust. It is the cutest resin shed I could find and is bigger than I really needed and "inexpensive"!!

Once I have the funds saved up for a wood studio shed I can use this one for a potting shed so it's a win win situation.

I plan to decorate it with lots of plants and patio ornaments all around it. I might also try to make some free standing garden trellis' on the west side to help keep our blistering heat down a little which should help it to last longer.

I will do the same thing with this shed as I did my horse trailer thread so everyone can read about setting one up, then avoid any pitfalls DH and I encounter.

It should be here in about a week or so......probably the day after hubby gets called away to work for a month and I will have this huge box dropped off by a freight truck sitting curbside until he gets back!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2011-05-10 at 8:24am.