Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-15, 4:03pm

Default kanji symbols

I'm trying to put some onto my beads. Does anyone know if anyone does this?
(I'm hoping not)

Duane
PS Yah I know! you want pics! I'll post them tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-10-15, 4:36pm
More ideas than talent

I think Nikki the Sheep Goddess does.

That shouldn't stop you though.

Old 2012-10-15, 4:50pm
da General

My sister has done it on and off!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-10-15, 4:51pm
Uh Oh....

I do. I use the good luck and prosperity symbols on a barrel bead that looks like an Asian lantern that go with an open mouth frog bead. They are supposed to be lucky charms for Las Vegas and every time I go, I make everyone a lucky charm. I think some of my friends have more charms than money on/in their purses.

Does that mean you can't use them?

Old 2012-10-15, 5:29pm
Ready to hit the road

I've done it on a focal bead, and am going to make some more.

Old 2012-10-15, 6:07pm

when applying the symbol how important is it that the "formal" brush stroke style is detailed? I tried a couple but don't know if anyone could tell what they mean
(they're in the kiln right now)

Duane

Old 2012-10-15, 6:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendbill View Post
I think Nikki the Sheep Goddess does.

That shouldn't stop you though.
I do, thanks for noticing. Have a blast with them, though. I don't go for formal, just enough to be recognized.

Good Luck/Happiness

Hope

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-10-15, 7:04pm
@miniuniworld

Default brush strokes

When I learned Chinese calligraphy as a kid, or even when I learned how to write, it was very important to memorize which stroke was first, second, third... and so forth and it is also important to learn where the stroke starts and where is ends. As you can see in the youtube video, that is where you see where the stroke is thin and thickens and thins out, since that also determines how much pressure you put on the brush to the paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf5qZ...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
when applying the symbol how important is it that the "formal" brush stroke style is detailed? I tried a couple but don't know if anyone could tell what they mean
(they're in the kiln right now)

Duane

Learn how to help empower women to stand on their own two feet!
Old 2012-10-16, 3:48pm

here's the two I made last night. I won't reveal what symbols they are until tomorrow evening. I want to see if they're identifiable.

Duane

Old 2012-10-16, 5:04pm
@miniuniworld

nice! I PM'd you about the characters on top =) Awesome job!

Learn how to help empower women to stand on their own two feet!
Old 2012-10-16, 7:00pm

Definitely peace for the first. I like the two symbol version, too.

I don't have the second in my files...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-10-18, 9:16am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
here's the two I made last night. I won't reveal what symbols they are until tomorrow evening. I want to see if they're identifiable.
Seems pretty obvious to me.

The top one on the long bead is "Bird on Telephone Pole"
Below it on that bead is "Hammerhead Shark with 4 Arms".
The bottom bead is "Centaur Doing Fist Bump".

Just joshing...

-BEP
Old 2012-10-18, 10:04am

I do them on sandblasted tab style beads, usually with the English translation on the back. Stringer is trickier, they look great. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2012-10-18, 4:28pm

I like the idea of it just being recognizable. My sister wants me to make her a bead to commemorate her "2nd Dan" black belt in Tae Kwon Doh, and she sent me the Korean characters. I told her I'd try, but I couldn't promise. Lol!
Peggy
Old 2012-10-19, 12:08am
The Queen of Sofa King

I made kanji beads for a couple of years. I did the actual brush painting on them with fine silver slip and fired it on. Your bottom bead was one I did often.

Old 2012-10-19, 12:15am
The Queen of Sofa King

Here are a couple I posted in the gallery when I first started:

Old 2012-10-20, 6:35am
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolS View Post
I made kanji beads for a couple of years. I did the actual brush painting on them with fine silver slip and fired it on. Your bottom bead was one I did often.
What a good idea!!!

Old 2012-10-20, 12:33pm
The Queen of Sofa King

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
What a good idea!!!
Thanks Betsy! I learned the pmc slip on porcelain technique in a pmc certification class and adapted the technique to glass beads.