LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-30, 10:17pm
Formerly known as LT

I have an F-120 with very simular issues. Mine is less than 6 months old. I started have this issue within the first week but at first thought I did something wrong. Then last night it happened again and now won't work!!!! GRRRRRRRRR When I talked to the company they didn't seem at all surprised but without question or complaining they said they would ship out a new board. I to had problems with the door when I first used my kiln. I ran it through several cycles with no beads to burn off the coatings inside. A friend of mine told me to do this and said once the kiln was "broke in" a little all would be fine, and she was right. No problems with the door now or any thing but its brain. Frustrating but I do believe it will work out. Paragon was very helpful and nice. Will give update on how this ends up. I would like to know the ending of the others as well.
Old 2006-11-16, 3:22am
Frit frit and more frit!

I've just had my Orton controller on my Jen Ken die on me - with about 200 beads inside on a batch anneal! I contacted Bill Brachold and the new bits are being sent to me. I can highly recommend his customer service.
I can't understand why these controllers haven't been recalled if its a known problem. Surely its only a matter of time before someone sues ....
Old 2006-11-18, 4:24am
I poop flowers.

Wow! I am new to all of this, and haven`t yet bought my first kiln. I pretty much had my mind made up about buying a Bluebird, but after reading all of the hassles you people have gone through, I`m definitely NOT buying one now. It`s just ridiculous that the factory knows about the problem, but still keeps shipping kilns out anyway, keeping their fingers crossed that the complaints will be minimal...
Gonna go check out those Chili Peppers now....
Old 2006-11-18, 5:45am
Formerly known as LT

Actually I think the kilns that are still haveing troubles are old stock that just didn't get out there. I got a great deal on mine!!!! I didn't have any problems with it for 6 months and when I called to complain they told me my kiln was made 6 months before I bought it. The company just choose to sell it to me as "new" knowing that I would contact paragon if there were issues. The same kilns new from the factory have the new boards in them. It's not like paragon hasn't helped if there are problems. In fact they were very helpful to me and got the new part to me very fast. I have a friend that fixes boards for a living and he looked over the old one just to see and said there was a relay that had gone bad. He also said that type of falt is hit or miss and wouldn't be with every board.
Old 2006-11-18, 9:59am
Frit frit and more frit!

I agree - don't miss out on a good deal for the sake of this. It is a known problem and should have been recalled yes, but the fact that it is a known problem means that if it DOES occur it can be sorted quickly. Chance are you won't get a bad board - these are old stock of nearly a year ago...
Old 2006-11-18, 12:11pm
Spell check please

Check out Kilndr.com They have the Paragon bluebird for a great price. When you buy one from them it is sent from the Paragon factory in Texas and is not old stock. If you have any questions about the bluebird kiln call David at kilndr ( All Fired Up ) he is very helpful. Many people here on LE have a bluebird kiln and love it. I am just one of them.
Elaine
Old 2006-11-19, 6:00am
Hot Rod Addiction

Clay-king.com also ships has the kilns they sell sent direct from the factory. I sent a message to Clay-King when I ordered mine regarding the board and they had Paragon call me direct. They assured me all had been corrected and that my kiln had the new board -- I've had it about three months and haven't had any problems at all. Considering the size of the kiln and the price, it was a great deal and it seems they have the board issue resolved.
Old 2006-11-19, 7:59am
I poop flowers.

Ok, after I ranted about it to my DH, I then read posts from all of you who swear by this kiln, and hubby thinks it must be a really great kiln if people who`ve had this much trouble still are willing to back it. Now he`s saying I should get a bluebird. I did find a JenKen that I`m kinda interested in, because you can fuse with it too, but I have never done that and am not sure I ever will, just something I`ve been thinking about. Nice to have that option if I ever decide to....
I guess I spoke too hastily about the bluebird, all those stories just irked me. If I find a deal that is too good to pass up, I might just go ahead and get one, and at least I know about the issues, enough to question the seller to make sure I don`t get burned, no pun intended, lol!

Right now the kiln fund is too low to get anything, but after Christmas I should be in the market, so I will keep all this in mind.

Still won`t be buying a Bethlehem torch, though, no way....(that`s a whole other thread)