No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-21, 4:17am

Default Oxidising flame on a HH

Hi,
Am I correct in my assumption that, while I can create a reduction flame on my HH either using a snazzy tinfoil Collar to block the holes or by working close to the mouth of the torch, it is not possible to create an oxidising flame on my Hothead Torch? I have purchased a few types of glass i am told require an oxidising flame to bring out the inner beauty and wondered if i need to stash away this glass until I change to a dual fuel torch?
Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ellie
Old 2006-11-21, 8:36am
PyronamixK

You really won't get a true oxidizing flame on a HH. It has a neutral atmosphere at best. The further out in the flame you work, the less reducing, though. So, while you can work sensitive glass, if you are trying to get a special effect that requires an oxidizing flame, you just won't be able to on a HH.
Old 2006-11-22, 12:48am

Thankyou for the advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-24, 2:50am
Gravity is at 6 o'clock

the closest i ever got to anything trying to get that on a hh, was blowing through the holes. you really do see a change in the flame while blowing, but you're not really getting an "oxydising flame" as it is only momentary, while you are blowing, and you'll get tired really fast after just a few blows.

but it does help if you're trying to get rid of grey spots on rubino etc.

I
NY